Author Topic: Let's Make HALLOWEEN a HOLIDAY!  (Read 2173 times)

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
Let's Make HALLOWEEN a HOLIDAY!
« on: November 28, 2017, 04:27:26 PM »

From the "After Halloween Blues?" Thread:
... anyone else think Halloween day should be changed to the last Friday or Saturday of October.  Its always a bummer when the 31st is on a weekday.

I'll go further than that.

Let's make Halloween the last Friday of October AND make it an official "Holiday" and a day off from school.  Everyone could have the whole day off for getting costumes and parties ready to begin the after-dark festivities.  I'm sure many people would still have all-adult get-togethers on Saturday.  And everyone would have Sunday to rest up for the next work/school day.

And Halloween would finally get official recognition as the start of the end-of-year "Holiday Season" it deserves.  It has always bugged me that when people say "holiday season" they limit it to the month and a half from Thanksgiving to New Year's Eve.  Why?  Major money and effort is expended for Halloween each year - and a lot of Christmas merchandise begins showing up in stores along side Halloween costumes and decorations.

I know we are not supposed to talk politics here, but...  Where do we start a petition for the necessary legislation?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:35:13 PM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
Re: Let's Make HALLOWEEN a HOLIDAY!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 04:32:48 PM »
The nofundamentalists would put the kybosh on that idea!
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
  • Good Evening, Dr. Vesalius
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 04:40:32 PM »
The keebosh would be put on it by nearly every group  nowadays. The fundamenatlists I know of have all poo pooed Halloween into kids's stuff after their ridicule for  jumping on the great satanic panic bandwagon of the 80's.  It would be deemed either cultural appropriation, exclusionary for groups who don't wish to interact/be involved, or some other constipated pc pundit would deem it mentally toxic or something. Just be thankful we have what we do. Before long, they'll probably wanna take that away too. :angel:
"Nine Killed you---Nine shall Die!"

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 04:40:40 PM »
The nofundamentalists would put the kybosh on that idea!

I also love the tradition of the 31st.  But it isn't a religious holiday.  And there is no historical event that it commemorates.

It makes more sense than demoting George Washington's birthday to Presidents' Day and moving it around every year - but keeping Lincoln's in place.

(How much did you spend celebrating presidential birthdays last year?)
ADAM

Kidagain

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 06:05:27 PM »
If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »
I also love the tradition of the 31st.  But it isn't a religious holiday.

Depends on your religion.  ;)

(How much did you spend celebrating presidential birthdays last year?)

I bought a new mattress!  ;D
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Wolfman

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »
I'd say let's make it the last Friday of EVERY month.

JP

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 10:04:12 PM »

I think American business would be behind my proposal.  Makers of Halloween-themed merchandise, retailers, hotels and travel agents would certainly welcome another 3-day weekend for the public to spend money on their wares and services.

I’m not proposing changing the actual event’s anniversary - just the government’s official day of observance.  That shouldn’t be overly stressful to the large portion of the populace who schedule parties when most convenient to their work schedule already.

The more devout among us, like Mike, would of course still be free to convene at any time to don their hooded robes, chant incantations  and boil the neighbor’s cat.
ADAM

charp13

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 11:20:46 PM »
I LIKE it!  We call Halloween “The Show” at my house.  Props start being built in August & go outside 2 week’s before Halloween night.  The weather sensitive props go out on the morning of. And...it is all taken down by midnight. It’s exhausting to move everything back into the garage, and get up the next morning without aching bones.  We have 200 trick or treaters on a weeknight, so bring on the new Halloween Holiday!  Then we could rest our bones the next day.   :)

BRICK

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 08:00:29 PM »
Personally, I think we should make Halloween an official holiday, no matter what day it falls on; as well as All Saints Day (Nov 1st) AND All Souls Day (Nov 2nd). That way everyone can recover (and shop)!
When times are dark, don’t consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 10:33:05 PM »
Personally, I think we should make Halloween an official holiday, no matter what day it falls on; as well as All Saints Day (Nov 1st) AND All Souls Day (Nov 2nd). That way everyone can recover (and shop)!

Well...  Three days in a row would be a hard sell.

But, the incorporation of Day of the Dead and Halloween is not that far away.  Wall or no, we have a large Hispanic population in this country.  One with a history of melding native holiday practices with those imposed by the Catholic church.  I think they would have no problem with embracing the combined holiday.

We had a lot of Day of the Dead inspired decorations on the shelves right next to Universal Monsters this year.  I don't recall them being displayed side by side when I was a kid.  Times change.  Customs evolve.

There is always resistance, for all kinds of stated reasons.  But usually it boils down to, "Because we never did it that way before - that's why."
ADAM

Sean

• Sergeant
  • The Godfather of Gore
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 10:25:54 PM »
The day after the Super Bowl used to have "Holiday" status with me.   I always took off.  Now I use that vacation day for October 31st.   I open the windows so the cool Fall air blows the curtains and I stoke the fireplace and I play Universal classics all day.

charp13

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 01:08:51 PM »
Ahhhhh...that sounds like a perfect day, Sean! 

Sean

• Sergeant
  • The Godfather of Gore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
Ahhhhh...that sounds like a perfect day, Sean!

Thanks Charlotte.  I think so! 😎

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 12:53:19 PM »
I don't care what anyone says, I STILL think this is a good idea.

Maybe we could promote it as a way to keep kids sharp at school.  No longer would they be tired and inattentive the day immediately following staying up later than usual.

(It's bullcrap, of course.  But, I'm willing to argue anything that might work.)

ADAM