Cryptids, anyone?

Started by Memphremagog, October 15, 2017, 09:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRICK

Great poster! While I realize that this logo doesn't have either Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster in it, I still love it!

When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

long live kong

When I was growing up, we had our very own local cryptid. My home town of Grimsby, in the North East of England was at one time Europe's leading fishing port, until the cod wars which led to it's decline. It was during the town's heyday that rumours of 'dock cats' began to emerge. Apparently stray domestic cats had bred in and around the docks, and with an abundance of fish to eat had become very large in size.
My father (who was a filleter on the docks) told me that one night working late he saw a massive cat, which looked almost twice the size of a domestic cat, carrying a huge dogfish in it's jaws up a vertical ladder on one of the pontoons. He also told me that a friend of his had come across a litter of kittens in an abandoned office and was attacked by their protective and very large mother. It captured my imagination and occasionally I would sneak into the old pontoons which were by then mostly derelict hoping for a glimpse of one of the beasts. I never saw any, but I came across many dead pigeons which I fancied were killed by the dock cats!
Monster lovers never grow old....

Ludi

I must admit I am a believer in Bigfoot!   :)

(But not a believer in "Patty," who is a guy in a suit)

Memphremagog

Quote from: long live kong on October 21, 2017, 08:01:18 PM
When I was growing up, we had our very own local cryptid. My home town of Grimsby, in the North East of England was at one time Europe's leading fishing port, until the cod wars which led to it's decline. It was during the town's heyday that rumours of 'dock cats' began to emerge. Apparently stray domestic cats had bred in and around the docks, and with an abundance of fish to eat had become very large in size.
My father (who was a filleter on the docks) told me that one night working late he saw a massive cat, which looked almost twice the size of a domestic cat, carrying a huge dogfish in it's jaws up a vertical ladder on one of the pontoons. He also told me that a friend of his had come across a litter of kittens in an abandoned office and was attacked by their protective and very large mother. It captured my imagination and occasionally I would sneak into the old pontoons which were by then mostly derelict hoping for a glimpse of one of the beasts. I never saw any, but I came across many dead pigeons which I fancied were killed by the dock cats!

There have been many sightings of gigantic or "phantom" cats in England over the past few decades; some described as being like a panther or another great cat and others that are harder to classify and prey on other animals in the various areas that they have been seen in..
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Memphremagog

Quote from: Ludi on October 21, 2017, 11:27:22 PM
I must admit I am a believer in Bigfoot!   :)

(But not a believer in "Patty," who is a guy in a suit)

No proof of this has ever been established despite decades of rumor and conjecture, in fact, more anthropologists who have studied the film have concluded that no human wearing a suit could have replicated the walk as shown by the figure in the film..
DARK SHADOWS:

long live kong

Quote from: Memphremagog on October 22, 2017, 02:33:57 AM
There have been many sightings of gigantic or "phantom" cats in England over the past few decades; some described as being like a panther or another great cat and others that are harder to classify and prey on other animals in the various areas that they have been seen in..
My brother swears that he saw a huge cat one night whilst out metal detecting in the countryside. He said it looked like a panther. The theory behind big cats in the UK (as you probably know) is that they are exotic pets that have been released from private menageries after the 'dangerous wild animals act 1976'.

BRICK

Here is Frank Frazetta's beautiful take on the subject:

When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Memphremagog

Quote from: long live kong on October 22, 2017, 12:25:14 PM
My brother swears that he saw a huge cat one night whilst out metal detecting in the countryside. He said it looked like a panther. The theory behind big cats in the UK (as you probably know) is that they are exotic pets that have been released from private menageries after the dangerous wild animals act was enforced in the 70s.

I can understand theories behind these sightings, however, it doesnt explain how these creatures are still being sighted decades later. We had a phantom cat sighting around these parts around five years back. It was a black panther(!) caught on film and footprints left, stalking an area just outside the Boston area and this went on for weeks. The animal was never caught and disappeared as suddenly as it entered the area..
DARK SHADOWS:

Memphremagog

Some artwork depicting the Mothman of West Virginia:

Eyewitness sketch:

Artist's depiction:

Various versions based on eyewitness accounts:

DARK SHADOWS:

Hepcat

Quote from: Ludi on October 21, 2017, 11:27:22 PM(But not a believer in "Patty," who is a guy in a suit)

Indeed. The advent of casual office dress has made it tough to believe these purported sightings of guys/men in suits.

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

long live kong

Quote from: Memphremagog on October 22, 2017, 12:30:42 PM
I can understand theories behind these sightings, however, it doesnt explain how these creatures are still being sighted decades later. We had a phantom cat sighting around these parts around five years back. It was a black panther(!) caught on film and footprints left, stalking an area just outside the Boston area and this went on for weeks. The animal was never caught and disappeared as suddenly as it entered the area..
I think the idea is that they have bred, although I'm not sure how a panther would cope with our winter? Still, there is a steady stream of sightings and some pretty compelling recent photos that suggest there are some big cats lurking around. (Of course, it's debatable wether they qualify as cryptids since most of them are reported as being animals recognised by science!).

BRICK

Quote from: long live kong on October 22, 2017, 03:32:16 PM
Still, there is a steady stream of sightings and some pretty compelling recent photos that suggest there are some big cats lurking around. (Of course, it's debatable wether they qualify as cryptids since most of them are reported as being animals recognised by science!).

I guess it depends just how big the cats really are; after all, Thunderbirds cryptids are just dscribed as VERY large birds of prey. I might add that I DO believe in Thunderbirds; my reasoning is because somewhere on earth is the world's largest eagle, vulture etc. Just as if you met Robert Wadlow, you would believe in giants; if you saw one of these birds, you would have no doubt of the existence of Thunderbirds.

StyreneDude

One of my favorite subjects...I'm a firm believer in Bigfoot since I had my own encounter 35 years ago. I've never seen another one since, but I know for a fact they're out there.

I was helping my dad cut firewood in Rock Creek, Ohio in the fall of 1982.  We were in a densely wooded area alongside some railroad tracks on land owned by my dad's work.  They gave him permission to cut wood there.

He had already cut down several small trees with a chainsaw, and was splitting them into smaller logs which I carried out of the woods and loaded into the back of our truck. On a return trip I saw something move directly in front of me and looked up to see a seven foot apelike creature watching me from behind a tree.

I screamed and ran as fast as I could to my dad. I told him what happened but he pretty much laughed it off and said I probably imagined it. I did not. That encounter has haunted me my whole life.
It fascinates me but also creeps me out knowing these creatures are out there just beyond our reach, watching us.

long live kong

I love hearing people's first hand accounts of Bigfoot!

I always liked the scene on Beetlejuice when Barbera Maitland says to Adam "You have a photo of Bigfoot", and he replies "My photo of Bigfoot is a different story". I always wanted to see that photo!

Hepcat

Quote from: long live kong on October 22, 2017, 03:32:16 PM...although I'm not sure how a panther would cope with our winter?

English winters? Ffffttttt. Big cats would have no problem whatsoever with the relatively mild English winters. Snow leopards, Siberian tigers and Canadian cougars deal easily with far harsher winter weather conditions.

cl:)
Collecting! It's what I do!