Author Topic: london after midnight found?  (Read 1398 times)

Mike Scott

• Army Administrator
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
Re: london after midnight found?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 10:01:26 PM »
ha ha... yes, "Money" is never a reason for any remake. 

Yeah but, why would anybody think there was money to be made from remaking a film that nobody liked?
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 12:19:28 AM »
Then, why do a remake?

Mark of the Devil?
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
  • My blood now flows through her veins!
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 12:18:29 AM »
I know Ron Chaney and Bill Diamond were going to try to remake it, but they were hit with a C&D letter from MGM shortly after they made the announcement.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Mike Scott

• Army Administrator
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 12:23:40 AM »
I know Ron Chaney and Bill Diamond were going to try to remake it, but they were hit with a C&D letter from MGM shortly after they made the announcement.

Possibly because they still hold a copyright on the story by way of MARK OF THE VAMPIRE?
CREATURE FAN

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
  • My blood now flows through her veins!
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 12:25:31 AM »
Possibly because they still hold a copyright on the story by way of MARK OF THE VAMPIRE?
That was my guess. I never got to ask Ron about it.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 04:55:43 PM »
There's more chance of Bigfoot being filmed riding on the back of the Loch Ness Monster dressed as Napoleon whilst swinging a lightsaber and singing the Norweigan national anthem.

That was my Halloween costume.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »
Yeah but, why would anybody think there was money to be made from remaking a film that nobody liked?

There is a mystique around this one that makes it marketable beyond the limitations of its artistic merits.

Mike Scott

• Army Administrator
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 10:13:20 PM »
There is a mystique around this one that makes it marketable beyond the limitations of its artistic merits.

Well, yeah, now! I meant in 1935.
CREATURE FAN

ChristineBCW

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2017, 11:40:58 AM »
I still think "lack of copies" is an indicator that theater owners never wanted to re-show it again for profitability's sake. 

But then again, Re-Releases and even the broad existence of movie-theaters in America in the 1920s and 1930s was limited, too. 

PHANTOM OF OP was popular enough - or thought to be more popular - so re-cuts of it were distributed after its initial release (the 1928-1929 versions, cut in length so theater owners could offer more showings per day PLUS have lower expense in film-stock-used). 

Or consider THE UNHOLY THREE (1925) was considered worthy enough for Chaney to do a remake in 1930, but he was dead in Aug, 1930.  Was this a tip o' the hat to his films' conversion into Talkies?  So was LONDON just a card left on the table, that was soon swallowed and buried by DRAC, FRANK, KING KONG, etc? 

But apparently, there weren't enough copies of LONDON for successful storage and maintenance over the decades, whereas these 'rival' monster films did survive.  Why?  I still think consideration for "not so good" is a logical answer for "why not enough copies? 

Do any of the long-time readers of FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND know if that magazine (?? 1960 ??) ever wrote a review of the film itself?  Every time I see a FAMOUS MONSTERS photo ("Google Images") depicting LONDON, the accompanying caption is "long lost film".  So, even within FAMOUS MONSTERS' lifespan, LONDON was considered lost?

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2017, 12:28:51 PM »
Well, yeah, now! I meant in 1935.

Same thing.....except the draw was Chaney. Big names have always floated inferior movies.

Sean

• Sergeant
  • The Godfather of Gore
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2017, 10:33:14 PM »
That was my Halloween costume.

I call bullsH!#....  You don't know the Norweigan national anthem.

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2017, 10:48:39 PM »
 What a coincidence running into this thread! I was at a yard sale Saturday, and saw the seller had hundreds of VHS tapes. I asked him about "London After Midnight". With a huge smile, be pulled out an unmarked video cassette. He said, "This is your day". He let me have it for $75! I'm going to watch it tonight and I'll let everyone know how great it is. How did I get so lucky?

Universal Steve

• Sergeant
  • There are far worse things awaiting man than death
    • Universal Steve
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2017, 11:10:23 PM »

Speaking of Mark Of The Vampire, I just saw it a couple of nights ago and maybe it is my age I was confused by the ending. It appeared to me that Lugosi (Count Mora) and Luna were actors portraying vampires to get the guy to confess to attempted murder. If this was the case why was the villagers and innkeeper afraid of the vampires? Also if they were not vampires how about when there was a smoking bat at the window and the we see Lugosi creeping up the stairs? Lionel Barrymore was mixed in the story like a Van Helsing kind of guy but in reality he hypnotized the suspect into reinacting  the attempted murder. How could the whole village and doctor be in on the vampire hoax but were genuinely scared? The girls father who was apparently killed by a vampire but was really killed by the suspect, how did he come back to life?  The only thing I knew for sure is this film has the look and feel of Dracula. Tod Browning directed and Lugosi starred. Michael Visaroff who played the innkeeper in Dracula played the innkeeper in this film. Lionel Barrymore was almost imitating Edward Van Sloan. In some scenes the daughter of the "murdered" man looked a lot like Helen Chandler with darker hair. In the castle instead of an armadillo there was a possum. Very unusual movie and I hear it was a remake of London After Midnight.
Universal Steve
www.universalsteve.com

Mike Scott

• Army Administrator
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2017, 11:40:36 PM »
He said, "This is your day". He let me have it for $75!

Sounds like his lucky day!  ;D
CREATURE FAN

LundyAfterMidnight

• Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2017, 02:15:10 AM »
I can't back this up at the moment, but wasn't LAM Chaney & Browning's most successful collaboration?
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)