Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe Explained!

Started by Count_Zirock, October 23, 2017, 10:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count_Zirock

From "Dracula" and "The Wolf Man" to "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein." We worked out a timeline for the first shared cinematic universe.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/universal-monsters/240685/universal-monsters-cinematic-universe-explained

There are so many errors and bad assumptions in this article, it's just pathetic.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Memphremagog

I  love it how the author sets the Universal DRACULA films(Dracula and Dracula's Daughter) circa 1871(!) despite the fact that there are motor vehicles present in both films..someone didnt watch the films that closely it would appear.  ::)
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Ludi

Quote from: Memphremagog on October 28, 2017, 06:10:13 PM
I  love it how the author sets the Universal DRACULA films(Dracula and Dracula's Daughter) circa 1871(!) despite the fact that there are motor vehicles present in both films..someone didnt watch the films that closely it would appear.  ::)

I never got the impression that DRACULA occurred as early as 1871 even in the novel!  It occurs during the 1890s, and the movies occur somewhat later.... :o

ChristineBCW

Quote from: Ludi on October 28, 2017, 07:22:43 PM
I never got the impression that DRACULA occurred as early as 1871 even in the novel...
Yes, my thought, too.  Of course, by 1910, coal-powered ships were common enough for tramp-steamers, but only for about 20 years.  Sail-vessels were seldom used for true passenger & cargo voyages by 1900.  I suppose in some backwaters (er, Black Sea, eastern Adriatic) ports maybe those were more plentiful. 

"1871" was the time of growing social unrest (German-Franco War 1870-1871 would have made Continentai traffic hazardous not so much as the military issues but for funding, currency and availability).  "Sail" would have been more available at that time but still there were threats with Spain, Italy, Greece into the 1870s.  And one Czar is killed (by Lenin's older brother, no less) in 1881. 

The 1890s were only slightly more controlled (peace-able?) by all the resulting police-states.  Obviously, none would have inspected cargo-holds with large boxes, though.

NOSFERATU's rat-attacks are far more reminiscent of the Plague Era (900s - 1600s) and the pavement and town-buildings all look 1700s or early 1800s to me, but I'm sure Eastern and Southeastern Europe's smaller towns maintained those into the 1930s.  (There was a reason the Wermacht was still two-thirds mobilized by horse-power.  And even now, in the Bike Racing Classics, "cobbles" are really more fit for Frankenstein's monster to tramp along instead of carbon-fibre bikes.

Of course, I never felt any need for a "universe" nor any explanation.  I don't see any reason to exclude (or by commission, force some inclusionary guideline).  Can't the movies just all get along?  Build additional screens if Show Times are overlapping!

Count_Zirock

"Nosferatu" is set in 1840, I believe. And the cars in "Dracula's Daughter" were from around 1932-33, I read somewhere, as they were used in other Universal Pictures films.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello