Toys R Us Files For Bankruptcy

Started by the_horror_man, September 19, 2017, 03:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Remco Wolfman on October 07, 2017, 07:33:09 PM
Of course the same could be said of Walmart or any store.  That's the entire point of that post. I don't love Walmart, if Walmart ceased to be in business today it would have no impact on my life other than I'd have to go somewhere else the 2 or 3 times a month I go there. I'm baffled I'm arguing about it.

I've also never had anyone do anything when I leave Walmart other than maybe mumbling "have a good day". Maybe you just have a foreboding aura about you?

If nothing else your preference for establishments other than Walmart has provided defacto and unequivocal evidence to all of Universal Monster Army and perhaps even to the entirety of the interweb that you are a significantly more physically attractive individual than I.

Well, I can't argue with the last point.   ;D

However, the Walmarts I have been to recently all require every receipt be checked by the greeter.  They look at your purchases and compare them against the receipt... for every single person shopping there.  This might be happening only in areas with bag bans if you don't have this happening at your stores, which I guess would make Walmart a whole lot more appealing anyway! 

aura of foreboding

Speaking of Walmart and the bag ban, another reason I dislike them is they are the only store that does not offer free bags for purchases.  Every other discounter does, but Walmart charges 5 cents per bag.  No exceptions.  No exclusions.  It's ridiculous, and they keep the money.  They are the only company that truly has the cash power to offer free bags, and they don't.  Yet Target, Kroger, Albertson's, etc. all do.   

horrorhunter

Quote from: aura of foreboding on October 08, 2017, 04:16:18 PM
Speaking of Walmart and the bag ban, another reason I dislike them is they are the only store that does not offer free bags for purchases.  Every other discounter does, but Walmart charges 5 cents per bag.  No exceptions.  No exclusions.  It's ridiculous, and they keep the money.  They are the only company that truly has the cash power to offer free bags, and they don't.  Yet Target, Kroger, Albertson's, etc. all do.   
Sounds like you have some f'ed-up Walmarts. In the my area (TN) they double bag heavier items and certainly don't charge for those cheap*ss bags. The Walmarts around here are like most every other store regarding cleanliness and customers. Shoppers are different everywhere and the idea that prettier people are drawn to Target is obviously a silly joke. I go to Target, I go to Walmart, I go wherever I can get the best deal with the least trouble. BTW, hardly ever does anybody at Walmart check our items at the door against a receipt. If they do anything it's usually just to wish you a good day. I don't stop by UMA much anymore, but I felt compelled to comment on this last statement just because things are quite different here. This is just an observation and not meant to be rude, but...man, you guys don't have much to talk about for this to be a monster related forum.

::)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

aura of foreboding

Quote from: horrorhunter on October 08, 2017, 04:45:24 PM
Sounds like you have some f'ed-up Walmarts. In the my area (TN) they double bag heavier items and certainly don't charge for those cheap*ss bags. The Walmarts around here are like most every other store regarding cleanliness and customers. Shoppers are different everywhere and the idea that prettier people are drawn to Target is obviously a silly joke. I go to Target, I go to Walmart, I go wherever I can get the best deal with the least trouble. BTW, hardly ever does anybody at Walmart check our items at the door against a receipt. If they do anything it's usually just to wish you a good day. I don't stop by UMA much anymore, but I felt compelled to comment on this last statement just because things are quite different here. This is just an observation and not meant to be rude, but...man, you guys don't have much to talk about for this to be a monster related forum.

::)

Walmart is just trying to be the least attractive option in my area, and I'm okay with that.  :)

As far as things to talk about, we used to have forums to talk about everything.  It was the best of times.  It was the worst of times.  Too many topics.  Too much fun in those topics.  Too much bandwidth.  So worth the bandwidth.  Hard for mods.  We didn't make things easy.  Now, we try to squeeze in OT conversation wherever possible  The heart of the UMA is not the toys.  It's the people.  :)

Big Bad Wolf

Quote from: aura of foreboding on October 08, 2017, 04:54:43 PM
Walmart is just trying to be the least attractive option in my area, and I'm okay with that.  :)

As far as things to talk about, we used to have forums to talk about everything.  It was the best of times.  It was the worst of times.  Too many topics.  Too much fun in those topics.  Too much bandwidth.  So worth the bandwidth.  Hard for mods.  We didn't make things easy.  Now, we try to squeeze in OT conversation wherever possible  The heart of the UMA is not the toys.  It's the people.  :)

Funny, I just shouted that I missed the general discussion board. I still think we should have one. Most forums do. At the very least a "general monster discussion" forum couldn't hurt. Sometimes I have ideas for threads and I'm never sure where to put them.

As for Walmart, my local Walmart is a bit of a mix I think. My town is full of those whom many refer to as rednecks or trailer trash, and Walmart is a great place to find them. But they're not the only sorts of folks who shop there. Plenty of good looking people shop there too. I CAN admit I've seen less of the former at the local Target.

We don't have to check our receipts with a greeter either, and I'm pretty sure we don't have to buy bags. However, the toy selection has gotten smaller recently. In fact, one time I went in there and it was so much smaller I was actually stunned. Meanwhile our local Target has a lot more to offer. Even our K-Mart has a better selection.
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf! Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Lala lala laaa...

aura of foreboding

I guess I should clarify that plastic bags are illegal, and Walmart is charging for paper, though you can get free personal-sized paper bags everywhere else.  Walmart just racks up the money.   Meanwhile, TRU charges 10 cents for ILLEGAL plastic bags, which is probably why they are going under. 

Monsters For Sale

"The retailer (TRU) filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in September and officially filed for liquidation in March. As a result, more than 700 Toys R Us and Babies R Us stores across the United States will be closing for good by Friday."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/toys-r-us-will-close-all-of-its-us-stores-by-the-end-of-the-week-take-a-look-back-at-what-it-was-like-in-its-heyday/ar-BBKgNdb?ocid=spartandhp

ADAM

Hepcat

So do any Toys 'R' Us stores remain in operation at this time?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

fearliath

Quote from: Hepcat on May 07, 2019, 02:25:37 PM
So do any Toys 'R' Us stores remain in operation at this time?

???

There are no Toys R Us locations open in the United States. Toys R Us Canada is a separate legal entity and still has stores.  There is a possibility of Toys R Us having some presence in the US market later this year but very unlikely to be a brick and mortar store. More likely just their name being used for a product or service.

Hepcat

Evidently there are 22 Toys 'R' Us stores within a fifty kilometre radius of my house.

:)

Haunted hearse

Quote from: aura of foreboding on October 08, 2017, 04:16:18 PM
They don't charge in Wilson North Carolina.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Hepcat

Quote from: Hepcat on May 07, 2019, 07:05:17 PMEvidently there are 22 Toys 'R' Us stores within a fifty kilometre radius of my house.

I just heard a radio commercial for Toys 'R' Us this morning which was the first in I know not how many years. But the number of Toys 'R' Us stores within a fifty kilometre radius of my house has now dropped to 15. Only three of these are fairly convenient for me. But none of them have any new-old-stock Standard Plastics monster wallets, MPC Pop-Top Horrors, Hamilton Invaders sets, Ideal King Zors or Mad Mad Mad Scientist Laboratories. Such a bummer.

:-\

ralfy

I think they've been expanding in Asia since 2017, especially in developing economies. There might be a connection between that and issues like population aging.