Author Topic: Pleasant suprises....  (Read 425 times)

chewmonster

• New Recruit
Pleasant suprises....
« on: September 04, 2017, 06:09:44 AM »
Hi,

Having watched quite a few classic movies down the years, there are still quite a few, for varying reasons, that i have not yet seen. Over the last couple of day's i managed to watch two that i had never seen before:

1. The man from planet x. ( Really refreshing to to see a sci fi movie situated in what you would expect to see in a typical horror movie, ie in remote marshes, also  highlighting the communication issues you would expect when encountering something from another world and the "visitor" initially being a blank page, neither good or bad was a nice change. )

2. The creature with the atom brain. ( The  length, the pacing and the overall feel of the movie were perfect, the story was really engaging as well, for this type of movie i thought?)

I thought they were both excellent, a lot better than i initially expected. Its a great feeling when you come across hidden gem's like these.

I was just wondering if you have all had similar experiences, when catching up on any old movies you may have not seen before, that exceeded your initial expectations, despite in some cases having poor reviews? If so, i would be really interested to know:

1. What was the movie?
2. What made it stand out for you?

The same would also apply to what films you felt were a bit of a let down which others might have highly rated?

All the best.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:22:50 AM by chewmonster »

ChristineBCW

• Sergeant
Re: Pleasant suprises....
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:48:38 PM »
You named two favorites.  A favorite in the same vein as PLANET X is DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS although she and her Robot Pal are not so benign. 

CREATURE WITH ATOM BRAIN also gets my vote for "first politically correct film".  In 1951-1952, the infamous Kefauver Commission (roughly depicted in the GODFATHER film with Micheal Corleone testifying before a Congressional committee, etc.) supposedly brought a spotlight on the Mafia, with some backlash over tarnishing those with an Italian-style name with a Mafia paintbrush. 

So, a couple of years later, CREATURE names its mafioso bad guy "Buchanan" and I've always snickered at this nomenclature because there are so many references to Italy and his Italian heritage. 

Also, it's one of the earliest "CSI" type films (KID GLOVE KILLER, 1942 with Van Heflin; and even 1935's G-MEN with Cagney portraying the early years of FBI and their science labs). 

I just love the way these wire-headed zombies would emerge onto someone's front lawn and, only a couple of moments later, the National Guard have been called out AND arrived to do heroic battle.  Boy... if only - !

ChristineBCW

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 05:53:13 PM »
I'd also list THE INVISIBLE RAY (1936 with Karloff and Lugosi).  Karloff is a good scientist who discovers a new radioactive element, Radium X that slowly transforms him into a murderer.  Lugosi is his friend trying to help him.  There are elements of JEKYLL & HYDE and madness of INVISIBLE MAN in it, but was a wonderful surprise because many of their pairings - and Lugosi's film works almost entirely - are not among my favorites to rewatch.  This one is.

ChristineBCW

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 06:00:08 PM »
THE FLYING SERPENT (1946) with George Zucco discovering an ancient Axtecan "flying serpent" who will track down and anyone in possession of the serpent's lost feathers. 

And to keep the flying-creature topic, uh, soaring, there's the fun 1982 Q (or "Q The Flying Serpent").  This has a flying monster living in its nest in the tip of the Chrystler Building in lower Manhattan.   It's full of '70s TV and film B stars.  (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084556/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_71)

ChristineBCW

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 06:04:40 PM »
Oh wait... after seeing Memph's icon, I am reminded that NIGHT OF THE DEMON / CURSE OF THE DEMON should be included in Must-See lists not only as a pleasant surprise, but as a flat-out good thriller with a monster.  The NIGHT and the CURSE have slightly different edits, and there is a consideration cottage industry debating the merits of one over the other.  I disagree with the thrust of that argument entirely: "Why try to force folks to not see The Other One?  See them both!"  The whole "which is best?" is therefore moot when one realizes they each are worth watching.