Mummy's Tomb rare close-up of Chaney

Started by StyreneDude, August 30, 2017, 07:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StyreneDude

Ran across this vintage still today at work...I believe this may be one of the few shots showing the harness Chaney wore to carry Elyse Knox.

Anton Phibes

If I were a bettin' man.....I would say that isn't Lon but a stuntman wearing a mask. :angel:

Maceo1

Quotebut a stuntman wearing a mask
I think it is Chaney Jr., cause my Mummy told me so. And I must agree with her or Elyse she Knox me down.
I am being watched, by blind people.

Maceo1

Quoteone of the few shots showing the harness Chaney wore to carry Elyse
The color version of that photo is available here....
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-elyse-knox-lon-chaney-jr-john-hubbard-the-mummys-tomb-1942-78315474.html
I am being watched, by blind people.

Jim Bertges

What's up with the leather strap around Kharis' neck. Is that some new Mummy fashion or is it a harness to help carrying his damsel?
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Jim Bertges on August 31, 2017, 09:05:00 PM
What's up with the leather strap around Kharis' neck. Is that some new Mummy fashion or is it a harness to help carrying his damsel?

Reread the first post.  ;D
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Jim Bertges

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

Creepy

Check out my Vintage posters and Masks at The Haunted Cinema

YoungestMonsterKid

It looks very much like a mask. In fact, it looks like the mask that they throw the torch at in the movie. Remember that this was the one Mummy movie Junior did where he actually wore the full makeup. So I would say it's a stuntman. But maybe Chaney also used the strap for some scenes.

Herr Hussmann

I zoomed in on this shot and it looks like the one eye opened on Kharis is fake.

Nobody in this shot looks like who they are supposed to be. It doesn't look like Elyse, it doesn't look like Hubbard, and it never looked like Chaney in the film. But  Turhan Bey confirmed it was him and I did see a behind the scenes shot of Lon's German Shepherd, Moose, licking him in costume on the set.

Unless the dog was only posing as Moose!

Memphremagog

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on September 04, 2017, 11:33:44 AM
It looks very much like a mask. In fact, it looks like the mask that they throw the torch at in the movie. Remember that this was the one Mummy movie Junior did where he actually wore the full makeup. So I would say it's a stuntman. But maybe Chaney also used the strap for some scenes.

Chaney did indeed wear the strap for a lot of his scenes as Kharis, not just in TOMB, but also in GHOST and CURSE. It was while wearing said device that he gave Aquanetta a concusion while carrying her in the early filming of GHOST. Got too low and banged her head off of a rock. She was then replaced by Ramsey Ames for the duration of the picture.
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."