Author Topic: Yet another attempt at The Munsters  (Read 115 times)

Big Bad Wolf

• Sergeant
  • Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
Re: Yet another attempt at The Munsters
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »
Brooklyn? Hipsters? In theory, the Munsters poking fun at hipsters and gentrification and other aspects of modern society could be really, really funny, so long as it wasn't too big a focus of the show. In practice, I could see this being a really cringe-worthy at staying "hip" and "with it" which will make it feel instantly dated.

What really gets me is when it says they're "determined to stay true to themselves". As I recall it, they didn't need to be "determined to stay true to themselves" because they didn't worry about it. They were just...themselves. They were comfortable being who they were without a care in the world. I'm sure the intention is going to be along the lines of "be true to yourself" and "love who you are on the inside" but rather than see them struggle to do so, I think it would send a far better message if they just stuck to the way the original show did it. Just have them be perfectly fine with the way they are and not worry about what other people think of them, especially hipsters from Brooklyn.
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf! Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Lala lala laaa...

Mike Scott

• d
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:26:30 PM »
Spare me!
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:22:58 PM »
Does Brooklyn have Hispters? 

ChristineBCW

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 09:01:34 AM »
I'm going to vote with the SPARE ME crowd. 

"Marilyn" was never 'happy with herself', raised as a non-monster babe in a household of monsters.  That was part of HER charm.   Do they have her chanting mantras of "ommmm ommmm, be happy I'm a coifed blonde"? 

Our kids and their friends watched this show over the years and, in the last 2, they hardly ever queue up an episode.  "I'm too old for it now, Mom" is their excuse.

Face it, this is a good 2-3-4 episode 'skit' and really doesn't have much follow-up.  Can Herman try out for the Dodgers and Leo Durocher?  (Or can only Jethro Bodine do that?)  Can Herman be dragged into a heist and end up driving, head on, into a patrol car?  How many times can Herman walk out onto the school stage with Eddie-as-Robot, Dad-as-Monster? 

Will hot-rod hearses come back in style? 

"Be true to themselves" - well, I think they'd have to immediately ditch just about every artifact in the original series.  Can you imagine an apartment building where neighbors keep swearing they hear a firebreathing dragon named Spot inside the stairwells?

I'd rather them do a crossover - Munsters in Matt Dillon's Dodge City.  Lily working as the saloon owner.  Herman never has to draw his gun because all the bad guys are frightened by his looks.  Grandpa's potions solve all, calm all.  Marilyn takes over as school-marm and Eddie does well in class then.

I vote with the "Spare Me" side.