Author Topic: Monster Beach Party!  (Read 1979 times)

darkmonkeygod

• Sergeant
  • grrrrrrrrrrrr...
Monster Beach Party!
« on: December 20, 2007, 07:39:53 AM »
Well, monstrous graphics anyway.  I've been paging through an old hard drive and recrossed these photos.  One seller in two eBay auctions, the one with the Creature sold for $80ish, the Mummy maybe $10 if memory serves, and there was nothing in the listings about the releasing co. or if these are even actually licensed.  The "Riffin" Mummy is charitably described as generic, but other towel has dead lifts from publicity stills.  I seem to remember something about "Monster Beach Party" being an actual marketing push, but it's a vague memory at best.  Anyone know anything about 'em (beyond how u-g-l-y they are)?

sts
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

poseablemonster

• Sergeant Major
Re: Monster Beach Party!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 09:06:12 AM »
Those are weird, I've never seen them before.  Another mystery...

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 09:16:48 AM »
I've got the one on the left. I'll have to go find it, and report back here with any markings it may have. I recall buying it off the shelf at a store like J.C. Penny's or something like that. Could have even been Target. I believe it's a late 80s item. I'LL BE BACK ..
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

darkmonkeygod

• Sergeant
  • grrrrrrrrrrrr...
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 09:27:20 AM »
I've got the one on the left. I'll have to go find it, and report back here with any markings it may have. I recall buying it off the shelf at a store like J.C. Penny's or something like that. Could have even been Target. I believe it's a late 80s item. I'LL BE BACK ...

Well, the one on the left is the one to have.  I thought they were much newer, from around the time of the sleeping bag, which doesn't make much since come to think on it, as these towels aren't the 90s art.

Do let us know, I'm sure five people care! :D

sts

poseablemonster

• Sergeant Major
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 09:33:47 AM »
YEah, that's definitely 80's graphic art.  Check out the Mummy's skateboard and the "RIPPIN" on the top...I don't think anyone has actually been "RIPPIN" since the late 80's.  The one on the left is totally RAD, though.   ;D

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
  • "The Monster was the best friend I ever had."
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 10:20:05 AM »
Never saw these before.  What a hoot!  Yep, the left one is the interesting one.  Of course, to the diehard collector, then--the right one becomes the rarity that will be sought after as time goes by. 
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

darkmonkeygod

• Sergeant
  • grrrrrrrrrrrr...
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 10:20:42 AM »
YEah, that's definitely 80's graphic art.  Check out the Mummy's skateboard and the "RIPPIN" on the top...I don't think anyone has actually been "RIPPIN" since the late 80's.  The one on the left is totally RAD, though.   ;D

Just browsing eBay before taking a nap (hey, who doesn't at 7AM *yawn*) and: item 220185213407

1993 Stanley Desantis Monster Wave Frankenstein Surfer t-shirt, and the seller's here in Portland (nope, it ain't me, I keep everything).  Looks like it could be part of the same line.

sts

Aw, man.  I just read that Desantis passed away in 2005.  He was one of those actors that popped up in a lot of minor but cool supporting rolls.  Damn.