Author Topic: R.I.P., George A. Romero  (Read 229 times)

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mike Scott

• Army Administrator
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
Re: R.I.P., George A. Romero
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 04:57:22 PM »
Oh no! Rest in piece, George and don't turn.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:02:56 PM »
The world of the living dead will never be the same..R.I.P.
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...

FrankFan95

• Private First Class
  • Alive!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 05:42:32 PM »
Really sad by the news of Master Romero dying. Rest in peace the horror community won't be the same without you... :(

Dr Wolfenstein

• Sergeant
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 06:35:10 PM »
R.I.P :(

the_last_gunslinger

• Private First Class
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 07:00:25 PM »
I just saw this on Bloody Disgusting literally a minute ago, and came here to see if anyone had posted about it yet.

I was never a huge fan of his zombie films, but he certainly left his legacy on the horror genre. We're losing too many giants of the field that have shaped our passions for so many years.

May his friends and loved ones be comforted in this time.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed...

the_horror_man

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »
Dawn of the Dead literally changed my life in the way that I saw Horror. Very few films can create feelings like you are right there in the film. Dawn of the Dead did this. Similar to Halloween.

Romero was one pf the most gifted directors to ever sit in the director's chair. He touched many lives through his films. R.I.P. George.

thm

BRICK

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 07:44:48 PM »
Whoa! That's sad, sad news!
When times are dark, donít consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 09:09:54 PM »
One of my favorite directors.  He is responsible for a lot of what we love about horror today. RIP,  Mr. Romero.

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 09:30:32 PM »
Dawn of the Dead literally changed my life in the way that I saw Horror. Very few films can create feelings like you are right there in the film. Dawn of the Dead did this. Similar to Halloween.

Romero was one pf the most gifted directors to ever sit in the director's chair. He touched many lives through his films. R.I.P. George.

thm

The first time I ever WITNESSED Dawn Of The Dead, was at the drive-in summer of '79( still playing after the film's '78 release.
Wow! That film blew-my-mind. I'll never forget the colorful gore and awesomeness of Dawn Of The Dead.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
  • Good Evening, Dr. Vesalius
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 09:42:50 PM »
I got to see him at a HorrorHound once. His line was so huge the fire marshall was called to round it around and outside of the building.  I told my son we wouldnt be able to get an autograph because his line was too long. He overheard me talking to my son, looked right at us and smiled and gave us a wink . That was better than an autograph to my son, who was 8 or 9 at the time. Dawn of the Dead is his all time favorite horror flick.  RIP George....thanks for giving us the modern era zombie. :'( :'(
"Nine Killed you---Nine shall Die!"

the_horror_man

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 11:05:04 PM »
The first time I ever WITNESSED Dawn Of The Dead, was at the drive-in summer of '79( still playing after the film's '78 release.
Wow! That film blew-my-mind. I'll never forget the colorful gore and awesomeness of Dawn Of The Dead.

I saw it for the first time on VHS around 1986. Was in awe of it. Never saw anything like it. I think I related to the isolation theme of the film because I sort of kept to myself in high school.  I remember telling my buddy that he had to see this film.

thm

Palifan

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 11:39:33 PM »
Really sad news to hear, one of the great Horror masters who really did change the face of this world we all know and love.

He will be missed but never forgotten.

Ian

Creepy

• Corporal
  • They're coming to get you, Barbara!
    • My Haunted Movie Collection
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 07:58:09 AM »
Night of the Living Dead is a top 5 film for me. I never get tired of seeing it. George's vision brought us from the innocence of the 50's into a more gritty, horrific, horror universe. He will be sorely missed.

I had the opportunity to meet him in Detroit a month or so ago (about a 2-3 hr drive) and passed, because he would have been the only reason I went to that particular convention. I  figured I would see him at some other con soon enough and didn't need to make the trip. 

Gory Glenn

• Sergeant
  • They're dead...they're all messed up.
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »
Was really sad to hear this. I was lucky enough to meet him at Monsterpalooza 2015. Glad I was able to while he was still around.

Love his films. Like many of us here Dawn of the Dead was a particular favorite. Saw it in it's original theatrical run and then later on a double bill with Evil Dead which I hadn't seen until that night. Wasn't that a surprise!  ;D Happy to have this copy of the script for DOTD signed by George when I met him at 'palooza. I'll cherish it even more now. R.I.P. George, we'll miss you.