Author Topic: Frankenstein 1931  (Read 1504 times)

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
Re: Frankenstein 1931
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 12:34:49 PM »
I wasn't bugged.  Sorry you were.
Not me, man.

It was just a general comment. I'm enjoying the discussion.  :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 01:23:41 PM »
I am unable to see a new movie more than once.

Try as I might to re-capture the thrill of the first telling, I know it will never be the same.  After many viewings, it is more like re-visiting old friends and tales for the familiar comfort they bring. 

I think it is rather like prodding a favorite uncle to "tell us about the time..." just once more.  Over the years it is impossible not to pick up on minor inconsistencies that one missed the first time he heard the tale as a child.

I've seen some movies many times over many years and I pay less attention to the plot than I did when the story was fresh.  Now I find myself wondering about tiny inflections in the characters' voices or the implied meaning in a glance askance.  We all do it.  When re-watching a movie who does not occasionally say to themselves, "Oh, that is why the character gave that sly look at the beginning of the film".

It is fun for me when I hear myself saying, "I must have seen this movie 20 times and I never saw that before!"  (And somewhat embarrassing when it is a major plot point.)

For me, finding minor "flaws" in favorite old films is like discovering tiny defects in long-standing friends.  I don't appreciate them less; I come to treasure their imperfections as part of the whole.

Also, discovering such glitches gives me microscopic peaks into the daily process and thinking of the filmmakers.  It feeds my fascination with what it must have been like to actually be there during the creation of the old friends that rest in my movie cabinets - waiting patiently to be chosen to entertain once more.

But that is just me blowing wind - You decide from which end.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:41:44 PM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »
Just enjoy the work and move on, and when revisited don't let the little things bug you.

Are you kiddin'? That's us all over! We do obsess over the minutia, the mistakes and the unknown!  That's why we're here!  :laugh:
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »
Are you kiddin'? That's us all over! We do obsess over the minutia, the mistakes and the unknown!  That's why we're here!  :laugh:

Your answer was more succinct.
ADAM

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »
There are hundreds and hundreds of classic films with flaws, bloopers, mistakes, errors, etc, etc...
Maybe, just maybe, we as fans of FRANKENSTEIN (1931) can just leave the film alone, and enjoy the masterpiece.
Flaws and errors are still part of the fun. They were forging an entire genre almost from scratch.  I still prefer the originals to any slick, soulless recent films. It's like going back thru your punk records to pick out a few wrong notes and off-key singing. You're missing the point, if you do.

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 04:54:59 PM »
As long as you have fun with it that's great. My point was to not let the flaws spoil it for you. Some people are so OCD they become nervous wrecks over stuff like this.

My comment was just an off the cuff generalized statement and now that's being picked apart:laugh:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

crissrudd4554

• Corporal
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 08:41:56 PM »
All these films are flawed to various extents but I love and enjoy them just the same. Speculating the rationale of the flaws I do merely out fun and morbid curiosity. :)