Author Topic: Sinister Cinema  (Read 452 times)

Mike...In 3-D!

• Sergeant
Sinister Cinema
« on: April 11, 2017, 08:06:25 AM »
Does anybody here order from Sinister Cinema? I was thinking of ordering from there but wanted to check with you guys to see if it's worth it first.
"Naughty, naughty! Don't touch, Butch knows best."

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
Re: Sinister Cinema
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:07:51 AM »
I have in the past, but not very recently. It all depends on what you're ordering..a lot of what they offer has been released on DVD or Blu-ray by other companies since they first started selling and much of the prints are not as complete or clear as the stuff that has been newly released and remastered by bigger companies. They still have a few hard-to-find titles that may be worth picking up, however, their catalogue is not what it used to be.

If you are after some double features stuff or a few possibly out-of-print titles, they may be a good source.
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »
I've ordered quite a few DVDs from SC over the years (even a couple of VHS wayyy back), but I try to avoid dropping money on gray market product now that so much is out, or soon to come out, on legit pressed BD/DVDs with superior quality and special features.

Still, not everything is or will be coming out legit, so boots are the only option on some films. I would say to check PD compilations first. Much of the stuff gray market vendors offer is already out on PD compilations from companies like Mill Creek and it's usually the same transfers for a fraction of the price. If you have to go gray market I would check Cult Action and Trash Palace first before SC. There are others like European Trash Cinema but I haven't ordered from them and can't speak to their quality as a vendor. Finally, the only thing I would go out of my way to SC for is their Drive-In Double Features with the trailers and snack bar ads included. But even if you get those wait for a sale. SC regular prices are just too high IMO. SC usually has a "Buy Any ? Titles for $98" (10-12, it keeps going up) sale so that at least gets the price down to something reasonable.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Joseph_Baeza

• Sergeant
  • Dr. Moreau: Have you forgotten the house of pain?
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »
Finally, the only thing I would go out of my way to SC for is their Drive-In Double Features with the trailers and snack bar ads included. But even if you get those wait for a sale. SC regular prices are just too high IMO. SC usually has a "Buy Any ? Titles for $98" (10-12, it keeps going up) sale so that at least gets the price down to something reasonable.
HH, you took the words right out of my mouth. Sinister's Drive-In Double Features are really cool with all the trailers and vintage snack bar ads. I've been ordering from Sinister since the VHS days in the early 90's, and they still carry a very diverse collection of obscure, hard-to-find titles. Greg (the owner) is pretty good at describing the source of the print (16mm/35mm, etc.), and I have had mostly good to very good experiences with them. But as HH mentions, it's probably best to wait for one their sales due to their relatively expensive price.

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 04:30:23 PM »
I've had good experiences with Cult Action. They have very good customer service and pack DVDs securely. The flicks they offer are sourced from the best prints and their custom artwork is very cool. The drawback is that their catalog isn't as large as some, at least the last time I checked.

Trash Palace has good prices, an extensive catalog, and good quality product for the most part. Customer service can be a little hit or miss with TP since it's only a one dude show as far as I know.

But, man, so much is constantly coming out on great Blu-ray releases from Arrow, Grindhouse, Kino, Severin, and so many others, it has made me really back off of purchasing gray market DVDs of anything. I love special features and premiums so bare bones boots with a couple of token trailers just don't look as attractive to me as they have in previous years. Another thing is I already have most of the HTF flicks I really wanted, having purchased them from gray market sources (including SC) in the last few years. We're in the Golden Age of home video and I'm spoiled with all the fancy shmancy Blu-rays overflowing with extras and immaculate picture quality (practically) and limited edition puzzles, Horror Hypos, and VOMIT BAGS!  :laugh:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mike...In 3-D!

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 07:31:04 AM »
If I can get a legit copy of something, I do that 100% of the time. Sadly, as far as I can tell the movie I'm looking at isn't available in any official capacity at the moment. Cult Action didn't have it, but I saw that Trash Palace did for a cheaper price, so I'll be going that route. Thanks for all the input. I really do appreciate it.
"Naughty, naughty! Don't touch, Butch knows best."