Author Topic: Monster Halloween boxes  (Read 15977 times)

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
Re: Monster Halloween boxes
« Reply #165 on: September 02, 2018, 04:11:06 PM »
Here's my display of the Monster Halloween Boxes:

I added a Best Plastics Monster Flat to each box. They fit in but it's a tight squeeze.  ;D
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #166 on: September 02, 2018, 04:14:18 PM »
Just a quick recap now that all the (Halloween) screaming is done.  We had 176 trick-or-treaters, and each one got a box.  I also gave a couple to people at work for their kids and held a couple to send to long-distance friends to give their kids when we exchange Christmas gifts via mail next month.  The handful I have left I'll just add fresh candy to and throw into the pile with next year's designs.

Speaking of which....

Will you be selling new Monster Halloween Boxes in UMAland this year?
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

a71678

• New Recruit
« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2018, 06:15:04 PM »
Sure! I'm making only two different ones this year, so the price will be lower for the "set." I'll have to figure out how to package them and how much shipping will be. It would be easier to ship them flat, with the inserts "on the side," and let the recipients assemble them, but most last year preferred them as they were meant to be.

These little boxes have afforded me some fun, unexpected opportunities in the past year. In addition to the "Svengoolie" appearance, examples are now part of the Castle Halloween Museum in Carlisle, PA. And I hope to be able to post something else pretty exciting in relation to last year's boxes later this month, but I don't want to jinx it.

I'm planning for next year's boxes to be dinosaur themed, mostly because I was able to pick up all the inserts already at a decent price. I'll post a sample in early November, as I did last year for this year's. Things could always change, but right now I have enough themes planned to last through 2038, with partial-to-full designs completed for all but two of them. If things go as planned, I'll have at least one "envelope" item, one "bagged" item and one special-shaped candy box to add to the mix in the next few years.

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #168 on: September 03, 2018, 09:33:28 PM »
Sure! I'm making only two different ones this year, so the price will be lower for the "set." I'll have to figure out how to package them and how much shipping will be. It would be easier to ship them flat, with the inserts "on the side," and let the recipients assemble them, but most last year preferred them as they were meant to be.

These little boxes have afforded me some fun, unexpected opportunities in the past year. In addition to the "Svengoolie" appearance, examples are now part of the Castle Halloween Museum in Carlisle, PA. And I hope to be able to post something else pretty exciting in relation to last year's boxes later this month, but I don't want to jinx it.

I'm planning for next year's boxes to be dinosaur themed, mostly because I was able to pick up all the inserts already at a decent price. I'll post a sample in early November, as I did last year for this year's. Things could always change, but right now I have enough themes planned to last through 2038, with partial-to-full designs completed for all but two of them. If things go as planned, I'll have at least one "envelope" item, one "bagged" item and one special-shaped candy box to add to the mix in the next few years.
All of that sounds wonderful. Count me in for extra copies of both of this years offerings. The dino boxes sound very cool to me since I'm a Dino Kid at heart. I even have some extra Best Plastics Flats Dinos to add to the Kong and Godzilla boxes, and to the Dino boxes next year. I'll have to be on the lookout for an extra Best King Kong and T-Rex to eventually add to the Kong and Godzilla boxes.

These may seem trivial to some, but they have the spirit and vibe of the great nickel grab bags of old that we Monster Kids grew up enjoying, such as the Horror Monsters Grab Bags and the Spooky Surprise Grab Bags. They're important to some of us collectors and they're making a lot a trick-r-treaters happy and may turn some of them into future monster collectors. Your efforts are appreciated.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

a71678

• New Recruit
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2018, 01:47:02 PM »
So I said I was hoping I could post something exciting related to my Halloween boxes this month, and yesterday was the day!

This is me with Ricou Browning, who portrayed the Creature from the Black Lagoon for the underwater shots and is the last surviving actor to have played an original classic Universal monster.

And this is his autograph on one of my candy boxes!

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #170 on: November 08, 2018, 02:55:32 PM »
Gifts from Jason: King Kong Box, Godzilla Box, Dinosaur Box (next year's sample), and 2 Monster Markers (I added the Best Flats):

Kong Box Contents
- King Kong Standee Cutout
- 3 Plastic Soldiers
- Both Photo Joke Cards (normally 1 per box)
- Sticker
- 3 pieces of candy
- King Kong Best Plastics Flat (added by me)

Godzilla Box Contents
- Godzilla Standee Cutout
- 3 Plastic Soldiers
- Both Photo Joke Cards (normally 1 per box)
- Sticker
- 3 pieces of candy
- Dinosaur Best Plastics Flat (Gray Trachodon, added by me)

Prehistoric Prize Pack Contents (sample for next Halloween)
- 3D Image on Box Back
- Pair of 3D Glasses
- Toy Dino
- Photo Joke Card
- Fossil Tooth
- Stegosaurus Tattoo
- Apatosaurus Pencil Topper
- 3 pieces of candy
- Best Plastics Flat (Blue Parasaurolophus, added by me)

Yeah, everything fits in the boxes.

Thanks, Jason. I christen you the Halloween Treat Box Guru:)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

a71678

• New Recruit
« Reply #171 on: November 13, 2018, 03:57:37 PM »
Thanks! I'm glad you liked them, and I apologize again for the delay. I will do my best to wield my new title with all the heft and dignity it deserves!

ZaiDejrio

• New Recruit
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2019, 12:25:55 AM »
What kind of candy and toys did the Meet my Pal Phoenix Candy-boxes contain back in the 60's?

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2019, 11:52:53 AM »
Great question!

Hopefully somebody can answer it.

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2019, 01:43:30 PM »
Quote from: Mike Scott
COUNTER DISPLAY BOX

And here is the (fantasy) counter display box for your Phoenix Candy box repros and fantasy boxes.

Base box front (the back is plain) and side panels.

Box "top".

That is not I understand a picture of how the actual box from 1963 looked.

???

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2019, 09:30:05 PM »
That is not I understand a picture of how the actual box from 1963 looked.

Total fantasy box. I've never seen, even a bad picture of, a real Phoenix monsters counter box.

The candy was likely some hard tac candy wrapped in the wrapper shown above. The toy could have been one of any number of small plastic toys around at that time. It would have been nice if they had used the Best Plastics "Palmer Flats" monsters. Could have been little jigglers, like a spider, or bug.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:45:13 PM by Mike Scott »
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2019, 09:34:55 PM »
Welcome to the UMA, ZaiDejrio !   :)
CREATURE FAN

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2019, 11:31:10 AM »

This is me with Ricou Browning, who portrayed the Creature from the Black Lagoon for the underwater shots and is the last surviving actor to have played an original classic Universal monster.

Huh?! I thought the Creature was green. And where are his gills?

???

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:40:15 AM by Hepcat »

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
Quote from: Mike Scott
Here are the 6 Phoenix Candy reproduction boxes and 6 more fantasy boxes.

The original (1963) series of Phoenix Candy boxes included:

1. FRANKENSTEIN
2. DRACULA
3. THE CREATURE
4. THE WOLF MAN
5. THE MUMMY
6. THE PHANTOM

We have only front and back panels of some boxes and incomplete boxes for others, so the missing sides were made using our best guesses, based on a few complete boxes.

Which complete boxes do you have, or have at least seen? Is the picture on all the above boxes the one Phoenix used on each of the original boxes back in 1963?

???

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2019, 02:41:42 PM »
Which complete boxes do you have, or have at least seen? Is the picture on all the above boxes the one Phoenix used on each of the original boxes back in 1963?

I don't have any originals. I got good pics of the front and back panels for all but the Phantom (back only). Found a small pic that showed the Phantom front, so I was able to make a decent repro. I have pics of all 6 sides of the Creature and Dracula boxes. Have one or two other sides (besides F and B) for a couple of other boxes.
CREATURE FAN