Author Topic: When Did You Last Watch A Classic Universal Monster Movie?  (Read 233556 times)

mike c

• Sergeant
  • A very fine day.
    • The Skull & Pumpkin, est. 1968
Re: When Did You Last Watch A Classic Universal Monster Movie?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2009, 02:41:42 AM »
Dracula, this afternoon with 3 1/2 year old granddaughter. She was enthralled with Bela, and bored when he wasn't onscreen, though Renfield cheered her up. She was doing his famous 'hhnnnnn, hhnnnnn, hhnnnnn!' chuckle all evening!

Mike C.

Wich2

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 11:11:20 AM »
"Dracula... with 3 1/2 year old granddaughter. She was enthralled with Bela, and bored when he wasn't onscreen"

She's wise in her generation, Mike! That about sums up that film.

Does "imitation Universal" count (including much of the supporting cast)? The Wife and I watched Columbia's THE BLACK ROOM this week, and were underwhelmed.

It's o.k., but I'll stick with my old 8mm Silent digest, which was always a hit!

Best,
-Craig W.

Bizarro Jeff

• Sergeant
  • Evan a Man who is pure of heart.....
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 05:32:08 PM »
     I watched "The Wolfman" with my grandson this morning.  I'm slowly teaching him about Frankenstein (who he calls STEIN, and the Wolfman).  Getting a good foundation early......lol.

Bizarro Jeff
Some things are better not seen, some things are better lost than found...

Werewolf in Camp

• New Recruit
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 07:10:35 PM »
I've been doing a little experiment for the past several months. I've placed the names of all the classic titles in a small box and draw a name after watching a film. It really helps with the randomness of watching these films instead of always watching the same ol' classic favorites and seeing films I don't ever think of that often.
Also I found that picking the next title to watch right when the current film ends helps build anticipation of watching it in the coming days and time to search out Famous Monster or Monsters from the Vault issues and books to read up on it too as we use to do as kids.
For me, this recaptures some of the old late night horror show fun I remember so well. And it beats looking across the shelves over and over again at all the titles trying to decide what I feel like watching. This way, it's randomly decided by the luck of the draw.

But to answer the question, in the past month I've seen Captive Wild Woman, Mummy's Tomb and Curse, The Body Snatcher, and coming up this weekend, I'm eagerly waiting to see The Old Dark House.

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 04:35:39 PM »
Not to forget the court room...........

"Arnold had the Bible, Judge".

"Atta BOY, Arnold !!!"

:D :D :D :D :D

LOL!! Man, I LOVE Don Knotts.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 04:38:08 PM »
I watched "The Mummy" last night with Jordan. He didn't really get into it because, as we know, the Mummy itself is nearly an afterthought. I'm going to have to redeem the franchise with him by showing some of the later Mummy movies where the Mummy is actually a part of the picture.

BaronLatos35

• Sergeant
  • "Now's the time for scary things..."
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 07:28:05 PM »
I've been doing a little experiment for the past several months. I've placed the names of all the classic titles in a small box and draw a name after watching a film. It really helps with the randomness of watching these films instead of always watching the same ol' classic favorites and seeing films I don't ever think of that often.
Also I found that picking the next title to watch right when the current film ends helps build anticipation of watching it in the coming days and time to search out Famous Monster or Monsters from the Vault issues and books to read up on it too as we use to do as kids.
For me, this recaptures some of the old late night horror show fun I remember so well. And it beats looking across the shelves over and over again at all the titles trying to decide what I feel like watching. This way, it's randomly decided by the luck of the draw.

But to answer the question, in the past month I've seen Captive Wild Woman, Mummy's Tomb and Curse, The Body Snatcher, and coming up this weekend, I'm eagerly waiting to see The Old Dark House.

I like that idea, especially the "anticipation" of the next movie. It reminds me of circling the movie in the TV guide and counting down the days until it was on. I too have spent time scanning the shelves for the next movie,so I will try it this weekend.
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 10:28:12 PM »

Sounds cool........

Werewolf in Camp

• New Recruit
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »
Several things about the random title pick experiment. Or the Horror Shuffle.

I copied the titles form the index pages of Universal Horrors book, and several other film classic books to get all the films from different studios.
The internet also has these listings too on Wikapedia.

Also, that after picking a random title name and after movie has been watched, I put that slip of paper in another small box so I don't repeat viewed films until I've went through the first box.

I started this for just the random selection of the films, sort of like putting your ipod on shuffle to hear more variety. But the anticipation part was a complete surprise and has made it much more fun then I imagined.
Knowing that the next film I'm going to see is 'The Old Dark House', is like waiting for it to air on late night TV way back when. This is like when the film would end and the horror host (Sammy Terry for me ) would announce what would be on next week.
Also for some reason I have found that since doing this for the past several months that I have seen more of these films then I did before.
Maybe because I dreaded going through everything trying to decide and becoming frustrated on what I felt like watching and giving up.  Ugh!

If anyone else tries this too, share your experiences and anything I may have missed.
Enjoy.

BaronLatos35

• Sergeant
  • "Now's the time for scary things..."
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2009, 10:23:10 PM »
Did the Horror Shuffle this weekend and watched "The Wolf Man".

I loved not only the classic movie, but I envisioned it as a new Horror Host show showing this and the anticipation was sky high during the week. Already have next weeks pick line up... a great idea and it definitely makes it fun.
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

toysoldierman2001

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2009, 05:24:30 PM »
This afternoon watched Abbot & Costello meets the Wolfman

toysoldierman2001

• Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2009, 10:58:15 PM »
This evening I watched Some Times They Come Back starring Michael Gross

toysoldierman2001

• Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 08:55:43 PM »
Watched this afternoon with my Daughters boyfriend The She Creature

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2009, 06:56:57 PM »
Did a double feature with SON OF DRACULA(1943) and it's original co-feature, THE MAD GHOUL(1943)
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »
The original DRACULA(1931)
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...