Author Topic: Pirates of the Whaaaaat?  (Read 2574 times)

Mcdee

• Sergeant
Pirates of the Whaaaaat?
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:18:01 AM »
Soon to be released   Classic Pirates coming from Lindberg/Round 2 ? CultTVman Fantastic Modeling

Can the rest be far behind???
Denis
Remember, it's not just a hobby, it's an obsession!

Dr Wolfenstein

• Sergeant
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time!
Re: Pirates of the Whaaaaat?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 02:52:02 AM »

Can the rest be far behind???

Hope not. Looking forward to this.

BijouBob8mm

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »
Whether we get the whole run or not will depend on sales, as well as what kind of condition the molds are in (hopefully all of them survived).  Was surprised these were never reissued to tie in with the popular film franchise.   Don't know why these Lindberg/Round 2; since Round 2 also has the MPC brand (MPC being the original company that released the kits), I'm not sure why these aren't appearing under that imprint instead.  Looks like the Disney name, and all references to Pirates of the Caribbean, have been dropped, and are appearing as part of Lindberg's "Jolly Roger" line of kits. (Which, until now, had only been models of pirate ships.)  Even the original names of the individual kits are being replaced. This debut release, "Hex Marks the Spot," was originally released as a POTC kit called "Dead Man's Raft."

StyreneDude

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »
As far as I know, Lindberg has released complete sets of all the other kits they've reissued. I see no reason why Pirates would be any different. Sales should be fantastic given what the originals go for.

I don't even care about the name. They can call them Boney McGee for all I care as long as they make 'em.

BijouBob8mm

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 04:07:46 PM »
I would hope so but, like I said, another factor would be the condition of the molds.  Any damage?  Anything lost?  It would have seemed like a no-brainer to bring them out before now, to tie in with the Johnny Depp pirate flicks -- and, like now, completely rechristening them to avoid licensing fees at the time.  But, like you, no matter what they're called...I want 'em!  (Even though I have a complete run of the originals, still factory-sealed.)

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 04:23:26 PM »
so if I'm getting this right, these were the Pirates of the Caribbean sets but now they can't use that name for the reissues

BijouBob8mm

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 04:43:54 PM »
Right; that first kit listed, "Hex Marks the Spot," was originally the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN kit "Dead Man's Raft."

Although CultTvMan's site has only brief info on these at the moment, I'm not finding much of anything listed over at the Lindberg/Round 2 site.  And I hope the "Hex" kit isn't the only kit initially released.  (I'd like to think they'd throw us at least a couple of them at a time.)  I wonder if there's any chance we might see the four MPC Haunted Mansion kits get re-labeled and reissued one day....?

Mcdee

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 10:54:17 PM »
Right; that first kit listed, "Hex Marks the Spot," was originally the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN kit "Dead Man's Raft."

Although CultTvMan's site has only brief info on these at the moment, I'm not finding much of anything listed over at the Lindberg/Round 2 site.  And I hope the "Hex" kit isn't the only kit initially released.  (I'd like to think they'd throw us at least a couple of them at a time.)  I wonder if there's any chance we might see the four MPC Haunted Mansion kits get re-labeled and reissued one day....?

I heard from a reliable source that that Scary Big House series of kits you speak of..... is in the mix.....
Mcdee

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 11:56:13 PM »
I would love to have a Scary Big House set!   ;D

YoungestMonsterKid

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 05:54:53 AM »
oh yes, I'd love the Scary Big House models

BijouBob8mm

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 09:38:55 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up on those Scary Big House kits, Mcdee!  I've got three of the four originals, still in shrink-wrap, which I've wanted to build but always hesitated.  I wonder if these reissues of Pirates and Mansion will still be rubber band-powered?  It will be nice to have these to go with those reissues of the rubber band-driven Strange Change kits of the vampire, mummy and time machine.  (Although I'd like to find a more durable alternative to the rubber bands, which always became brittle and broke.)

Wish we'd had that fourth Gigantics kit, when those were reissued.  (I think someone said the Wasp didn't make it because the molds for the wings were missing or damaged.  Don't know if they could reverse engineer them...if so, I'd almost be willing to let the company have mine for the sake of reviving the model.)

Mcdee

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 09:27:45 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on those Scary Big House kits, Mcdee!  I've got three of the four originals, still in shrink-wrap, which I've wanted to build but always hesitated.  I wonder if these reissues of Pirates and Mansion will still be rubber band-powered?  It will be nice to have these to go with those reissues of the rubber band-driven Strange Change kits of the vampire, mummy and time machine.  (Although I'd like to find a more durable alternative to the rubber bands, which always became brittle and broke.)

Wish we'd had that fourth Gigantics kit, when those were reissued.  (I think someone said the Wasp didn't make it because the molds for the wings were missing or damaged.  Don't know if they could reverse engineer them...if so, I'd almost be willing to let the company have mine for the sake of reviving the model.)

My pleasure ... I'm as jazzed a anyone over these being repopped....
 Here's a link to what these may look like  :)
(maybe)
similar perhaps....
http://www.tylisaari.com/models/disney/disney.htm

Mcdee

BijouBob8mm

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 12:17:14 PM »
Great stuff...and memories!

Mcdee

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
Looks like they are up for pre order
http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Preorder-Items_c_135.html

Mcdee

BijouBob8mm

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 01:09:55 PM »
Mcdee, that guy from the link you shared also has a killer Prehistoric Scenes site that you can spend hours browsing through and drooling over....   http://www.tylisaari.com/prehistoricscenes/main.html

He also has a great Prehistoric Scenes Facebook page (although I think you have to be logged in there to see it):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/123243567699484/