Information on this Ben Cooper costume, please. Anybody?

Started by sixtiestoyguy, December 04, 2016, 12:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixtiestoyguy

I just bumped into this awesome pic and have never seen nor heard of a Ben Cooper "Boss Fink" costume. The box is from the 70's I presume. Any info is appreciated, especially leading to a capture of one!

Mike Scott

I don't think I've ever seen the Unimonsters BC box with anything but the Unimonsters in them.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

CreepyCharlie

mjaycox

Quote from: sixtiestoyguy on December 04, 2016, 12:50:20 AM
I just bumped into this awesome pic and have never seen nor heard of a Ben Cooper "Boss Fink" costume. The box is from the 70's I presume. Any info is appreciated, especially leading to a capture of one!

I am pretty sure that is a custom. The mask is real-- but it has been put in a BC box that has been photoshopped and altered. In other words, existing toys and parts were brought together to make a fantasy presentation.

Matt
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

darkmonkeygod

The box is definitely an alteration of photo of a Ben Cooper box, and I think the "mask" is just an illustration also photo-shopped in. It's the mascot/logo for the band Boss Fink.

Quote from: Mike Scott on December 04, 2016, 01:28:17 AM
I don't think I've ever seen the Unimonsters BC box with anything but the Unimonsters in them.

There are a number of costumes that shipped in this box besides the four Universal monsters. King Kong, Godzilla, The Thing from The Fantastic Four, and Bigfoot from The Krofft Supershow and Bigfoot and Wildboy come to mind.

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Mike Scott

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on December 05, 2016, 11:02:10 PM
I think the "mask" is just an illustration

For some reason, I thought this photo was from an auction, or something. I guess not.  ;D

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on December 05, 2016, 11:02:10 PM
There are a number of costumes that shipped in this box besides the four Universal monsters. King Kong, Godzilla, The Thing from The Fantastic Four, and Bigfoot from The Krofft Supershow and Bigfoot and Wildboy come to mind.

Wow! Never saw any of those! Probably not looking for them had something to do with that.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on December 05, 2016, 11:02:10 PMThe box is definitely an alteration of photo of a Ben Cooper box, and I think the "mask" is just an illustration also photo-shopped in. It's the mascot/logo for the band Boss Fink.

Pity. A Ben Cooper Boss Fink costume in any box would have been, well, boss!

:(
Collecting! It's what I do!

CreepyCharlie

Dang. I thought this was from an auction or something too.

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Hepcat on December 06, 2016, 03:50:43 PM
Pity. A Ben Cooper Boss Fink costume in any box would have been, well, boss!

It would have been a costume of Ed Roth himself, which really would have been fun (but out of place in the 1973+ Ben Cooper line). If only, huh?

Hepcat

Collegeville did put out Rat Fink costumes on a couple of occasions. Here's the original Collegeville Rat Fink costume from the 1960's:

And here's the snazzy 1991 Collegeville reissue belonging to SpeedierThantheGrave:

8)

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Hepcat on December 07, 2016, 09:07:22 PM
Collegeville did put out a Rat Fink costume:

Twice, even, but that second one was nearly thirty years later. I remember someone once telling me they were looking for a Surf Fink costume, but I've never seen any evidence there was one. Have you?

Hepcat

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on December 08, 2016, 05:01:13 AMTwice, even, but that second one was nearly thirty years later.

Not surprising. "Big Daddy" Roth was hugely popular with kids in the 1962-65 period and then faded into distant memory until his popularity had a resurgence when Kenner issued the Rad Rods in 1990.

When did Collegeville stop making kids' costumes?

???

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on December 08, 2016, 05:01:13 AMI remember someone once telling me they were looking for a Surf Fink costume, but I've never seen any evidence there was one. Have you?

No, I don't remember ever coming across a Surf Fink costume. I'll check my costume book again though.

:)

Hepcat

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on December 08, 2016, 05:01:13 AMI remember someone once telling me they were looking for a Surf Fink costume, but I've never seen any evidence there was one. Have you?

Here are a few pictures of the Collegeville Surfink costume from 1964:

8)

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."