Author Topic: Alien: Covenant  (Read 416 times)

Chakor Channing

• Sergeant
    • ChakorChanning.com
Alien: Covenant
« on: November 26, 2016, 05:14:52 PM »
As some of you may already be aware, the first official poster for Alien: Covenant was recently released.  That being said, what, exactly, are you hoping to see in the film?  I saw Prometheus when it first came out, but I wasn't a huge fan of it.  There's been a lot of faked news floating around for years about the plot of this film, but I've always taken most of what the media has had to say about it with a huge grain of salt.  In other words, I won't believe it until I see it.

A life without Halloween and monsters is a life of boredom.

long live kong

• Sergeant
Re: Alien: Covenant
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 05:34:10 PM »

I enjoyed Prometheus, I thought it had some excellent moments but it had its flaws. I have high hopes for 'Covenant'. I'm hoping it goes back to the creepy themes of the first Alien movie.
Monster lovers never grow old....

Big Bad Wolf

• Sergeant
  • Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 08:24:31 PM »
I liked Prometheus more the second time I saw it. A lot of the problem with that film comes from the hiring of Damon Lindelof to rewrite the screenplay. He's just...not good. Tries to hide flawed storytelling by making excuses like "it's supposed to be ambiguous". Thankfully he's not involved in this film. I believe part of the intent of this new film is to make up for the sins of Prometheus and I really hope it delivers.
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf! Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Lala lala laaa...

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
  • Good Evening, Dr. Vesalius
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 09:29:40 PM »
He looks like Pumpkinhead,lol. (Sorry, I couldn't resist).  ;D ;D ;) ;)

I am hoping for a nice new Alien film, and I am expecting nothing. Much like a Mummy's Curse. Good to see the monster being kept in the public eye and making money....but not expecting much more than that.
"Nine Killed you---Nine shall Die!"

long live kong

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »

Saw this at the cinema last night. Enjoyed it mostly although it was predictable at times. I liked the references to Frankenstein and it was visually stunning, especially the scenes in space with the Covenant ship.
  I had read reviews that said it was basically a mash up of all the other Alien films, but apart from a scene near the end that was an obvious and less well done riff on an iconic Aliens moment I disagree. Yes it had a few scenes that were very similar to other moments from the franchise, but surely you can't have an Alien movie without a chest burster scene and a few jump scares thrown in! Like Prometheus I think I'll enjoy it more on a second viewing.

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 01:30:23 PM »
We're going tomorrow.  The reviews I've read have been more positive. My girlfriend will be going with me as part of a deal we made. I agreed to go to a wedding today (something I would never do), but I get to choose ANY film tomorrow (though, marriage is scarier than any movie I could pick).

long live kong

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 03:36:17 PM »

I'm going to a wedding with my missus next month Mord. I'm dreading it...it's a flash affair down south and we have to stay over. I cant even drink to dull the pain as I'm driving. A fate worse than a fate worse than death haha!...Let us know what you thought of the movie.

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 11:50:18 PM »
Finally got to see this, I've suffered enough for it. I went to a wedding with my girlfriend in exchange for seeing this. Went last week and the whole shopping area and theatre had a power outage ten minutes into the film. We went back today and loved it. This is easily the best Alien film aside from 1 and 2. It was thrilling throughout (even my squeamish girlfriend loved it). It's great seeing the original xenomorph on the big screen again! BTW,  being familiar with "Prometheus" helps.

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 05:25:43 AM »
Finally got to see this, I've suffered enough for it. I went to a wedding with my girlfriend in exchange for seeing this. Went last week and the whole shopping area and theatre had a power outage ten minutes into the film. We went back today and loved it. This is easily the best Alien film aside from 1 and 2. It was thrilling throughout (even my squeamish girlfriend loved it). It's great seeing the original xenomorph on the big screen again! BTW,  being familiar with "Prometheus" helps.

Okay......I was super sceptical in seeing this film. Now I will definitely check-out the film. Thanks, Mord.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 02:57:15 PM »

I felt the same way upon seeing this. Best treatment of the original source material since ALIEN and ALIENS.. :)
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...

geezer butler

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 02:53:29 AM »
Saw it over the weekend. I liked it and thought it was very entertaining, but didn't love it. The xenomorphs looked great and Michael Fassbender is pretty creepy.

I just think Ridley Scott isn't quite sure what kind of film he wants to make. Is this a sci-fi commentary on theology and philosophy (like Prometheus), or a sci-fi horror thriller like the original Alien? I suppose the director would say the answer is "yes." Again, I liked the film, but I enjoy watching humans battling xenomoprhs more than hearing David pontificate about "creation." Anyhow, maybe I being too critical. I'll need to watch it again for sure.