Author Topic: Exposure to Horror at a Young Age  (Read 1322 times)

Mord

• Sergeant
Re: Exposure to Horror at a Young Age
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 02:30:17 PM »
 I've watched everything from Univeral/Hammer horrors to slasher and real-life murder stories from a very early age. I have not killed any person (or pet) so far. ZH is absolutely right...it all depends how the kid is wired in the first place. You can use Mickey Mouse cartoons as a basis for murder, if you're so inclined.

geezer butler

• Sergeant
Re: Exposure to Horror at a Young Age
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »
I've watched everything from Univeral/Hammer horrors to slasher and real-life murder stories from a very early age. I have not killed any person (or pet) so far. ZH is absolutely right...it all depends how the kid is wired in the first place. You can use Mickey Mouse cartoons as a basis for murder, if you're so inclined.

At the risk of sounding pretentious, I teach a course "Crime and Media." I agree, there is no evidence of cause and effect, in terms of consuming violent media and violent behavior. Nevertheless, you can still talk about correlation. Even in that case, however, there are multiple variables at work. So if you have a kid growing up abused and/or neglected, and they already demonstrate violent tendencies and anti-social behavior, then in my opinion it's not a good idea to let that child watch hyper violent content. In that case you have social factors, but that child may also have neurological issues at that point.  In this scenario violent media not the primary factor, but it's probably not helping.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 06:42:57 PM by geezer butler »