HorroLit_zpsa39e2bb6.jpg~original

Author Topic: Birthday anniversary of H.P. Lovecraft, 20 August!  (Read 1512 times)

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
  • "The Monster was the best friend I ever had."
Birthday anniversary of H.P. Lovecraft, 20 August!
« on: August 20, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
He was born in Providence RI in 1890, 20 Aug., and the world of horror grew in new and strange directions because of his influence.  I love the HPL stories and the movies made from them.

Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
Re: Birthday anniversary of H.P. Lovecraft, 20 August!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 11:39:21 AM »
Love the cracked glass on the picture! ;D
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 12:05:21 PM »
Love the cracked glass on the picture! ;D
I had bought a box of small picture frames at a yard sale--and when I went to frame this HPL, that was the one that fit best, but the glass was really dirty and, as you see, cracked.  Figured I'd swap out a good piece of glass to put in it, but I put the picture in--and all of a sudden I thought, my gosh, this looks perfect for HPL creepiness.  Cleaned most of the dirt off the glass so i could see his face, at least--and have had many people comment favorably on it over the years-- Glad you think it's cool, too!
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 08:08:40 PM »

On our online comic. "Underbridge Internet:", the Saturday comic is one which is supposedly written and drawn by the strip's troll character "Manstroll". This was today's strip.  Until I saw your post, I had no idea it was Lovecraft's birthday!
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Ludi

• Corporal
    • Ernest Thesiger
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 09:15:03 PM »
It's kind of  weird, but when I'm feeling down and poorly, I find reading Lovecraft to be somehow soothing....

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 10:28:52 PM »
It's kind of  weird, but when I'm feeling down and poorly, I find reading Lovecraft to be somehow soothing....

Not weird at all, Ludi!  In a way, I reckon, it's that old saw about 'no matter how bad you think you have it, there's always someone else who has it worse'!  With HPL leading characters, who see monstrosities so horrific they can only describe them as "indescribable" (and who faint after seeing the horror)--yes, I can honestly say that MY day has not been that bad!
Robert in Ohio