Marvel Horror Movies???

Started by geezer butler, July 25, 2016, 01:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geezer butler

No breaking news here, but some interesting articles and commentaries on the possibility of a cinematic universe based on the Marvel horror characters. I'm a huge marvel horror fan and would love to see this. Doctor Strange could be point of departure for such a universe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/doctor-strange-marvel-horror_us_57572486e4b07823f9518d08

http://mcuexchange.com/how-doctor-strange-could-lead-to-a-horror-marvel-universe/

http://screenrant.com/best-marvel-horror-comics-movie-adaptations-we-want/?view=all

CerebusLives

I think this would be great...up to a point.  I love super heroes I've collected comics all my life; religiously went to the movies to see the new comic book movie. As of late I can't bring myself to watch them anymore outside of Deadpool and Guardians I haven't made the attempt
They've tried the horror type flicks: Blade, shudder...Ghost Rider,it works, but don't think the masses will come to sit through a Morbius or a Man Thing

If they do come out and they do succeed Im sure Stan Lee will make appearances in them and steal, excuse me, pretend he thought up this character as well
May you find your worth in the waking world

horrorhunter

The Marvel monster characters would probably lend themselves better to a shared universe than the Universal Monsters. If they do it I just hope they stay true to the characters and don't let some clueless suit change things around on a whim, or to be politically correct, or to pander to the people putting up the money. Damn... it's beginning to sound frustrating already.  ::)

I really would like to see it succeed though.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

geezer butler

Quote from: CerebusLives on July 25, 2016, 02:10:09 AM
I think this would be great...up to a point.  I love super heroes I've collected comics all my life; religiously went to the movies to see the new comic book movie. As of late I can't bring myself to watch them anymore outside of Deadpool and Guardians I haven't made the attempt
They've tried the horror type flicks: Blade, shudder...Ghost Rider,it works, but don't think the masses will come to sit through a Morbius or a Man Thing

If they do come out and they do succeed Im sure Stan Lee will make appearances in them and steal, excuse me, pretend he thought up this character as well

I think if Marvel can establish the 'horror' universe with strong foundation characters like Blade and/or Doctor Strange, then audiences will be open to Werewolf by Night, Man-Thing, Satana and other lesser known Marvel characters. After all, who would have thought audiences would go for movies with Hawkeye, Ant-man and Guardians of the Galaxy? Or an entire tv show based on Jessica Drew?!!

As HH points out, there's always the possibility studio execs screw it up. But so far Marvel seems to have the magic touch so if they're going to do it, now's the time imo.

Rockshasa

I'd really love to see them redo Man-Thing. The ScyFy version years back was "meh".

Gory Glenn

Quote from: geezer butler on July 26, 2016, 01:41:03 AM
I think if Marvel can establish the 'horror' universe with strong foundation characters like Blade and/or Doctor Strange, then audiences will be open to Werewolf by Night, Man-Thing, Satana and other lesser known Marvel characters. After all, who would have thought audiences would go for movies with Hawkeye, Ant-man and Guardians of the Galaxy? Or an entire tv show based on Jessica Drew?!!

As HH points out, there's always the possibility studio execs screw it up. But so far Marvel seems to have the magic touch so if they're going to do it, now's the time imo.

I agree. It seems Marvel Studios can do no wrong these days as they've been on a winning streak since the first Iron Man. I think the trick is to keep that fine balance of humor within the subject matter that they seem to do so well these days. That was one of the big complaints for Superman vs Batman, too dark and no lighter moments. Apparently DC has taken notice as they actually re-shot some of Suicide Squad for this same reason.

geezer butler

This should probably go in TV thread, but since Marvel's cinematic and tv realms crossover, I'm posting it here. Anyhow, Ghost Rider is def going to appear in this season of Marvel Agents of SHIELD.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/agents-of-shield-ghost-rider-charger-robbie-140139254.html

Even though I'm a comic book guy, I actually don't watch this show, but now I'm pretty intrigued.

So now they've established that Doctor Strange and Ghost Rider exist in the MCU. I know that the SHIELD show casually mentioned "Man-Thing" one time too. If they pull out 2-3 more supernatural/horror characters, they'd have enough for a Legion of Monsters or Midnight Sons movie. I think they should start by adding Werewolf by Night, Satana, and Blade (assuming Man-Thing, DS and GR are also there). Would be pretty awesome.

zombiehorror

Quote from: geezer butler on February 04, 2018, 10:55:46 PM
This is pretty exciting. Hope this becomes a trend in the MCU.

I wish this was part of the MCU and not Sony.  Hopefully they'll find their way on some of these standalone films but after what they did with Amazing Spider-Man, I have little hope.

geezer butler

Quote from: zombiehorror on February 05, 2018, 04:11:20 AM
I wish this was part of the MCU and not Sony.  Hopefully they'll find their way on some of these standalone films but after what they did with Amazing Spider-Man, I have little hope.

I read that the Sony spider man spin-offs will technically take place in same universe as Avengers, Guardians etc. Nevertheless they say don't expect to see Venom (and presumably Morbius) showing up in the MCU. Of course I'm still holding out hope that at some pt we see combined horror stories featuring Morbius, Doctor Strange, Ghost Rider and eventually see Blade, Satana, Man-Thing, Werewolf by Night etc. I mean if Antman and Wasp get their own movie, want not Marvel horror???

geezer butler

Ok, here's the latest: Jared Leto signed to play Morbius the Living Vampire.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jared-leto-star-sony-spider-man-title-morbius-daniel-espinosa-direct-1108907

I suspect for some this is good news, for others bad news, depending on how you feel about Leto. I'm just psyched we're going to see more Marvel horror characters. If you're keeping score we have Doctor Strange and Ghost Rider in the standard MCU, and now Morbius in the Sony Spider Man universe. Plus Brother Voodoo and Man-Thing Easter eggs in the MCU.

I've read Spider Man will be the only Sony character that crosses-over into the standard MCU. But believe me, if the MCU introduces Blade as a character, I bet we'll see Morbius too.

Big Bad Wolf

Spidey won't be the ONLY one to cross over. After all, dude's gotta fight somebody, and have some kind of supporting cast. From some of the casting rumors it sounds like they're working on building up the Sinister Six. Some version of them, anyway.
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf! Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Lala lala laaa...

zombiehorror

Quote from: geezer butler on July 02, 2018, 11:19:46 PM
I suspect for some this is good news, for others bad news, depending on how you feel about Leto.

Or how one feels about Spider-Man villains being introduced in standalone entries....negating their very purpose for being introduced in comics to begin with.

horrorhunter

The Bronze Age Marvel Horror characters are surprisingly popular among geeks today. Werewolf By Night, Moon Knight, Son Of Satan, Satana, Brother Voodoo, Man-Thing, Simon Garth (The Zombie), and even characters like Lilith, The Golem, and Devil Slayer have a following. And, the Marvel versions of Dracula and Monster of Frankenstein are very popular. Since Marvel flicks are on a roll I hope the time is right to get the Marvel Monster Cinematic Universe underway. With Moon Knight leading the charge for the heroes and a big bad of epic proportions like the Marvel Dracula it could be just as popular as the best of the Superhero films if done well. I just hope they build up to Dracula and give him the Jack Palance look that Gene Colan did for the classic comic series. And then the ultimate build-up to the biggest bad- Satan/Mephisto, which could bring into play son and daughter Daimon Hellstrom and Satana, and the Silver Surfer done right! It would be cool to see The Ghost (Van Stratten) make an appearance at some point to bedevil the long suffering Surfer.

Lot of great cinematic material there. It has the built-in fan base and could feature limited crossovers with the Superheroes. Of course Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange are more at home with the supernatural characters anyway. The possibilities are exciting.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

geezer butler

Great post HH. I agree with you about using the Jack Palance Tomb of Dracula look. Lately, however, Marvel uses a totally different look for Dracula. You can find it through google search. It's actually kind of cool, but no match for the original imo.

Love that Legion of Monsters cover too. I have it in my collection for sure.