New Blu-ray/DVD Releases

Started by horrorhunter, July 23, 2016, 05:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiehorror

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on April 09, 2020, 05:10:19 AM
But..., it doesn't have Claude Rains.

I know some of you weren't thrilled by this movie.  But, if you weren't looking for an updated re-telling of the 1933 classic, would you still think it was a stinker?  What if it were made by Warner Bros. and peddled as a straight thriller with touches of sci-fi elements?  Would you still dislike it?

Not only is it not Claude Rains, it isn't H.G. Wells or The Invisible Man.  I think it would have played better for me as a supernatural "red herring" tale with the audience thinking it was a vengeful spirit until the truth is revealed and obviously foregoing the misleading name.

Monsters For Sale

FOES, 1977 - BLU-Ray - Garagehouse - Released - January 10, 2020

MacDonald Carey, Alan Blanchard, Jane Wiley, John Coats and Gregory Clemens.

The tranquil life of California Channel Anacapa Island's lighthouse keeper and his family is disrupted by a flying saucer and its occupants.

This was a TV movie that had limited theatrical play in a number of countries during the next few years.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

-Audio commentary by director John Coats
          -Original director's cut of FOES
          -Theatrical trailer
          -TALES OF - short film
          -Photo gallery
          -Garagehouse Pictures trailers

I'm looking forward to finally seeing this one - especially the "Director's Cut", which is said to be darker than what played on TV.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Wind, The, 1986 - BLU-Ray - Arrow - Scheduled Release Date:  April 28, 2020

Meg Foster, Robert Morley, Wings Hauser and David McCallum.

Writer rents isolated house on a Greek island.  The rental agent warns her to beware of two things: hurricane strength night winds and the property's strange handyman.

SPECIAL FEATURES

- New restoration by Arrow Films from a 4K scan of the original negative, approved by writer-director Nico Mastorakis
          - High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
          - Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
          - Optional Greek subtitles
          - Original DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround and LPCM Stereo 2.0 Audio
          - Blowing The Wind - Brand new interview with Director Nico Mastorakis
          - The Sound of The Wind - The complete soundtrack composed by Hans Zimmer and Stanley Myers
          - A collection of trailers for the films of Nico Mastorakis
          - Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys

- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic and author Kat Ellinger
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Hollywood Horror House, 1970 - BLU-Ray - Vinegar Syndrome - Released:  March 31, 2020

Miriam Hopkins, David Garfield, Gale Sondergaard, Virginia Wing, Florence Lake and Joe Besser (in his last movie role).

Aging alcoholic actress, living in and aging mansion with her staff of aging servants, hires a young man to do things around the house.  He does.

AKA:  Savage Intruder

Bonus Features:

- Region Free Blu-ray/DVD combo
          - Newly scanned & restored in 4k from its 35mm camera negative
          - Historical commentary track with David Decoteau of RapidHeart.tv and David Del Valle of SinisterImage.com
          - Promotional image gallery
          - Reversible cover artwork
          - English SDH subtitles
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Backlot Murders, The, 2002 - BLU-Ray - Dark Force Entertainment - Scheduled Release Date - April 28, 2020

Priscilla Barnes, Corey Haim, Charles Fleischer, Brian Gaskill and Carrie Stevens.

A rock band tries making a music video on an empty movie backlot.  Someone evidently doesn't like their music - or them.

Special Features:

- Brand new 4k scan of the original negative
          - Interviews with stars Charles Fleischer, Brian Gaskill and Carrie Stevens
          - Commentary by Director David Defalco and Banana Man

This horror movie/slasher spoof was filmed on the Universal Studios backlot.  Considering its low viewer ratings, that might be the only reason to watch it.
ADAM

Mike Scott

That's sure a bunch of obscure horror movies!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mord

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on April 09, 2020, 08:15:59 PM

Backlot Murders, The, 2002 - BLU-Ray - Dark Force Entertainment - Scheduled Release Date - April 28, 2020

Priscilla Barnes, Corey Haim, Charles Fleischer, Brian Gaskill and Carrie Stevens.

A rock band tries making a music video on an empty movie backlot.  Someone evidently doesn't like their music - or them.

Don't know about Special Features on this one.

This horror movie/slasher spoof was filmed on the Universal Studios backlot.  Considering its low viewer ratings, that might be the only reason to watch it.

I've seen it....no bueno.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 09, 2020, 09:31:57 PM
That's sure a bunch of obscure horror movies!

That's why I try to do a little description that doesn't just recite the whole darn story.  I figure anyone interested would like to discover them on the screen.

Same thing with "Movies you watched".  I try to tell members about the more obscure stuff I sit through.  Otherwise its just "I watched that movie that you've seen a hundred times".  Sometimes I recommend, sometimes I try to warn prospective buyers that they should preview it on YouTube.

I like obscure junk, even the pretty bad ones.  I've learned a lot more about making movies from the failures than I ever could from those rare "perfect" films.
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on April 09, 2020, 09:52:22 PM
I've learned a lot more about making movies from the failures than I ever could from those rare "perfect" films.

Don't know if I ever saw a perfect film? Maybe a couple that were close.  :)
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 09, 2020, 10:28:44 PM
Don't know if I ever saw a perfect film? Maybe a couple that were close.  :) 

I think "Groundhog Day" comes close and "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" is a treasure.

"The Return of the Ghost of the Son of the Bride of Frankenstein" - not so much.
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on April 09, 2020, 10:54:28 PM
"The Return of the Ghost of the Son of the Bride of Frankenstein" - not so much.

You're talking about a classic, here!
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 10, 2020, 01:09:12 AM
You're talking about a classic, here! 

I was thinking of the 1980's remake.
ADAM

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN

Lazarus

Sure there are perfect movies.  I think if a movie does what it sets out to do and does it well, you can call it perfect.  John Carpenter's "The Thing" could be considered perfect.  (I think Big Trouble in Little China is also.)

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN