New Blu-ray/DVD Releases

Started by horrorhunter, July 23, 2016, 05:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 11, 2019, 08:10:23 PM
$55!! Holy crap! The DVD was only 10 bucks! Let me know if you see it for 60% off, anywhere.

No kidding.

At least they will be on 4 discs.
ADAM

zombiehorror

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on January 11, 2019, 09:08:59 PM

These films could easily fit on 2, maybe even 1 disc, without losing any quality.  Maybe Shout just wanted to charge $55 and figured if they included 4 Blurays people could see the price justified?  Blurays only cost around 2 bucks to press but they gotta pay other bills.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on January 11, 2019, 09:08:59 PM

Those discs better be full of extras, or I agree with zomb that they are trying to justify the high set price!  :P
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 12, 2019, 01:39:46 AM
Those discs better be full of extras, or I agree with zomb that they are trying to justify the high set price!  :P

I prefer separate discs.

I like to split them up and file them individually under title.

The price WILL come down.

ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on January 12, 2019, 02:14:08 AM
The price WILL come down.

It'll have to, to get me interested!  And I still want "MURDERS"!
CREATURE FAN

Jimi Bat

Shout/ Scream always try to gouge the fans. When they announce a release I want it always feels like I'm being held upside down by the ankles and shaken.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Jimi Bat on January 12, 2019, 05:01:59 AM
Shout/ Scream always try to gouge the fans. When they announce a release I want it always feels like I'm being held upside down by the ankles and shaken.

Maybe that's how they find it profitable to release these old horror/sci-fi treasures with extras when none of the other labels are willing to put them out in this country.

ADAM

Radioactive Rod Whitenack

I don't think Shout Factory/Scream Factory is trying to gouge the fans at all. They're almost the only company out there really putting the work into remastering and releasing these kind of films in the physical format. The stuff they have been putting out has been top notch. It costs money to remaster and do transfers, create artwork and make discs. Plus they nave to pay lisencing fees to the copyright holders. Let's face it, these movies are being released to a very small, niche market that is getting smaller every day. I suspect they wouldn't sell a signifcant number of copies more if they charged $9.99 or $34.99 per titles.

BRICK

I guess you also have to put it in perspective: Remember when a 10 minute sound/color digest version of a movie in Super-8 would cost between $25-30! And that was 1970's dollars! Also, when they first released a pre-recorded VHS tape in the 1980's, it would cost around $90!
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Monsters For Sale

Hund von Baskerville, Der, 1929 - BLU-Ray - Flicker Alley - Scheduled Release Date: February 12, 2019

Starring Carlyle Blackwell Sr. and George Serov.

As described on Amazon:

Richard Oswalds Der Hund von Baskerville, the last silent film starring Sherlock Holmes, has been less a legend than a rumor among cinephiles and Sherlockians. This seven-reel film, with its long pedigree extending back to a German stage play written while Germany was at war with England, has been regarded as the most important of the 'Hound' made in Europe. Long considered lost, it was the last silent Sherlock Holmes film ever made, produced when German studios were the envy of the world. Seen here in two versions, one with English titles and one entirely in German with titles based on the original German censor records, Hund lives again accompanied by a new ensemble score from the incomparable Guenter Buchwald.

Starring Carlyle Blackwell Sr. (Sherlock Holmes) and George Serov (Dr. Watson), this version of Der Hund is a deluxe makeover made during the dying days of the silent era. Much has been refined, but we are still in a world of secret passages behind sliding panels that lead to torture chambers, death traps, and a hiding place for the malodorous hound. No version of The Hound of the Baskervilles would be complete without Holmes and Watson pursuing Stapleton and his hound on the moor.

The project to restore and preserve Der Hund von Baskerville is a collaboration between Filmoteka Narodowa and the San Francisco Silent Film Festival, overseen by film preservationist Rob Byrne. This exciting rediscovery comes from an original 35mm Czech distribution print in near-mint condition and materials, unseen until now from a private collection.

Extra Features:

Der Hund von Baskerville (1914): Blu-ray Only - Richard Oswald had directed an earlier adaptation of Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles: the 1914 film Der Hund von Baskerville. This remarkable and complicated film restoration has been made available for the first time, courtesy of the Filmmuseum Muenchen (Munich Filmmuseum), accompanied with a music score by Joachim Bärenz.

An illustrated booklet essay - By film historian Russell Merritt

Arthur Conan Doyle and The Hound of the Baskervilles - A featurette exploring the link Conan Doyle's story has across cultures.

Restoring Richard Oswald's Der Hund Von Baskerville - Presented by film historian Rob Byrne, this featurette gives a complete picture of how this film made its return for new audiences to enjoy.

This must be the story that I own in the most different versions.  I am looking forward to finally getting to see this one.  I didn't think I would ever get the opportunity.
ADAM

LugosiFan25

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on January 22, 2019, 07:49:30 AM

Hund von Baskerville, Der, 1929 - BLU-Ray - Flicker Alley - Scheduled Release Date: February 12, 2019

Starring Carlyle Blackwell Sr. and George Serov.

As described on Amazon:

Richard Oswalds Der Hund von Baskerville, the last silent film starring Sherlock Holmes, has been less a legend than a rumor among cinephiles and Sherlockians. This seven-reel film, with its long pedigree extending back to a German stage play written while Germany was at war with England, has been regarded as the most important of the 'Hound' made in Europe. Long considered lost, it was the last silent Sherlock Holmes film ever made, produced when German studios were the envy of the world. Seen here in two versions, one with English titles and one entirely in German with titles based on the original German censor records, Hund lives again accompanied by a new ensemble score from the incomparable Guenter Buchwald.

Starring Carlyle Blackwell Sr. (Sherlock Holmes) and George Serov (Dr. Watson), this version of Der Hund is a deluxe makeover made during the dying days of the silent era. Much has been refined, but we are still in a world of secret passages behind sliding panels that lead to torture chambers, death traps, and a hiding place for the malodorous hound. No version of The Hound of the Baskervilles would be complete without Holmes and Watson pursuing Stapleton and his hound on the moor.

The project to restore and preserve Der Hund von Baskerville is a collaboration between Filmoteka Narodowa and the San Francisco Silent Film Festival, overseen by film preservationist Rob Byrne. This exciting rediscovery comes from an original 35mm Czech distribution print in near-mint condition and materials, unseen until now from a private collection.

Extra Features:

Der Hund von Baskerville (1914): Blu-ray Only - Richard Oswald had directed an earlier adaptation of Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles: the 1914 film Der Hund von Baskerville. This remarkable and complicated film restoration has been made available for the first time, courtesy of the Filmmuseum Muenchen (Munich Filmmuseum), accompanied with a music score by Joachim Bärenz.

An illustrated booklet essay - By film historian Russell Merritt

Arthur Conan Doyle and The Hound of the Baskervilles - A featurette exploring the link Conan Doyle's story has across cultures.

Restoring Richard Oswald's Der Hund Von Baskerville - Presented by film historian Rob Byrne, this featurette gives a complete picture of how this film made its return for new audiences to enjoy.

This must be the story that I own in the most different versions.  I am looking forward to finally getting to see this one.  I didn't think I would ever get the opportunity.

i got to see this one at the premiere of it's restoration at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival last year. DEFINITELY worth checking out. Some parts of it are missing, but have been creatively recreated with special title cards and production stills. A good time.
"....flying saucers? You mean the kind from up there?"

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Jimi Bat on January 12, 2019, 05:01:59 AM

Shout's Scream Factory has announced the extras for a couple of their upcoming BLU-Rays:

Return of the Vampire

Bonus Features

1.  NEW Audio Commentary With Film Historian Troy Howarth
2.  NEW Audio Commentary With Author/Film Historian Gary Don Rhodes
3.  NEW Audio Commentary With Film Historian Lee Gambin
4.  Silent 8mm Presentation
5.  Theatrical Trailer
6.  Stills Gallery

The Mole People

Bonus Features

1.  The Film Presented In Two Aspect Ratios – 1.85:1 and 2.00:1
2.  NEW Audio Commentary With Film Historians Tom Weaver And David Schecter
3.  NEW "Of Mushrooms And Madmen: The Making Of The Mole People"
4.  Mystery Science Theater 3000 Episode "The Mole People" (2/15/97) In Standard Definition
5.  Still Galleries – Movie Stills, Posters And Lobby Cards
6.  Theatrical Trailer

Imagine that - Three new commentaries for Return of the Vampire.

If they keep this up with all of their announced 50's sci-fi releases, I'm all in - Gouge away!
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Here are the Scream Factory extras for their Blu-Ray release of

The Deadly Mantis

Bonus Features

1.  NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements
2.  NEW Audio Commentary With Film Historians Tom Weaver And David Schecter
3.  Mystery Science Theatre 3000 Episode "The Deadly Mantis" (02/22/97)
4.  Theatrical Trailer
5.  Still Gallery

Still waiting on "Tarantula"...

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Amazon says:
The Mole People will be released on February 19
Return of the Vampire will be released February 26

This morning (Jan. 30) I ordered directly from Shout.  Their pre-order price is $3 less per movie - and they have already shipped them to me.

ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on January 30, 2019, 08:23:14 PM
Their pre-order price is $3 less per movie - and they have already shipped them to me.

So, they are pre-orders, but they are already in route to your mailbox? I've missed something, here.
CREATURE FAN