New Blu-ray/DVD Releases

Started by horrorhunter, July 23, 2016, 05:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunkenstein

Man, I'm really bummed about the Creature set. Looking at those problems, I'll likely stick with my old legacy dvds for now. I sure hope they correct this, but their history isn't good - ie: the Lugosi and Abbott & Costello double sided sets.
Paul

Anton Phibes

I bought these blu rays. I won't be doing anymore upgrades. Not even for cool boxes like the steelbooks. I am done.

Monsters For Sale

Witching Season, The, 2015 - BLU-Ray - Witching Season Films - Scheduled Release Date: September 10, 2018

You Tube Web series anthology of 5 Halloween-themed stories.

This disc is being released to raise the funds necessary to produce one of the shorts, "They Live Inside Us". as a feature film.

Read about it here:

halloweendailynews.com/2017/11/witching-season-blu-ray-trailer/

They will also be selling copies of their very pretty poster:

ADAM

FrankFan95

It's a damn shame about the Creature set. My main reason I want it is for the Creature Walks Among Us but then again I'd like to have Regenge upgraded too. Just messed up Universal released it like that. I have the Invisible Man Legacy Collection Blu-ray set coming in and I really wanted Creature but I guess I'll wait until they either replace the disc or it goes cheap enough to be worth it.

Lunkenstein

Quote from: FrankFan95 on September 02, 2018, 03:18:06 AM
It's a damn shame about the Creature set. My main reason I want it is for the Creature Walks Among Us but then again I'd like to have Regenge upgraded too. Just messed up Universal released it like that. I have the Invisible Man Legacy Collection Blu-ray set coming in and I really wanted Creature but I guess I'll wait until they either replace the disc or it goes cheap enough to be worth it.

Looks like Universal is gonna do the right thing and fix the CREATURE set.  They are going to send out replacement discs (when they're ready) to those who purchased the initial release. They have also pulled the sets from online sites for now. I can only assume it will be re-released after the fixes are made. Glad I waited.  I sure do want it and the INVISIBLE MAN set.
Paul

Memphremagog

Coming in October from WARNER ARCHIVES:

No word on any possible extras, however, I dont expect there will be.
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Memphremagog

Coming November 20:

Many extras including commentaries on 13 of 17 stories as well as interviews and documentaries on production teams, special effects and other rarities.
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Monsters For Sale

House of Forbidden Secrets, 1999 - BLU-Ray - Unearthed Films - Scheduled Release: November 13, 2018

Stars Antwoine Steele, Nicole Santorella, Paxton Tarbell, Dyanne Thorne and George Hardy.

Jacob's wife left him.  His friends and children are all gone.  But things are about to turn around for him.  He will be the new night guard for the ShadowView Manor. His first night on the job is the anniversary of a massacre that happened there.  Yep, things are looking up for Jacob.

Bonus features include:

1.  Commentary
        2.  Documentary on House of Forbidden Secrets
        3.  Behind the Scenes
        4.  Extended Rough Cut
        5.  Deleted Scenes
        6.  Gag Reel
        7.  Gallery
        8.  Unearthed Trailers
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Maniac, 1980 - BLU-Ray -Blue Underground -  Scheduled Release Date:  November 13, 2018

Stars Caroline Munro, Gail Lawrence, Kelly Piper, Tom Savini, Hyla Marrow and Joe Spinell.

Somewhat dissatisfied fellow thinks the suffering of others will make his life feel rosier.  Hey, we've all been there, right?

SPECIAL 3-DISC BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION

Bonus Features:

• WORLD PREMIERE! New 4K Restoration from the recently discovered 16mm original camera negative!
     • 3-Disc Set (Blu-ray + Blu-ray + CD) includes High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) Widescreen 1.85:1 feature presentation + another Blu-ray PACKED with additional bonus material + Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD with MANIAC score by Jay Chattaway
     • Audio: 7.1 DTS-HD (English); 2.0 DTS-HD (English); Dolby Digital 2.0 (Castellano, Français, Italiano, Deutsch)
     • Subtitles: English SDH, Français, Español, Português, Deutsch, Italiano, Dansk, Suomi, Nederlands, Svenska, Russian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai
     • Audio Commentary #1 with Co-Producer/Director William Lustig and Co-Producer Andrew W. Garroni
     • Audio Commentary #2 with Co-Producer/Director William Lustig, Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Savini, Editor Lorenzo Marinelli, and Joe Spinell assistant Luke Walter
     •NEW! Maniac Outtakes Featurette
     • NEW! Returning to the Scene of the Crime with William Lustig
     • Anna and the Killer Interview with Star Caroline Munro (13:08)
     •The Death Dealer Interview with Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Savini (12:11)
     •Dark Notes Interview with Composer Jay Chattaway (12:13)
     •Maniac Men Interview with Songwriters Michael Sembello and Dennis Matkosky (10:38)
     • Mr. Robbie: 'Maniac 2' Promo Reel (7:28)
     • The Joe Spinell Story (49:12)
     • NEW! Collectable Booklet with new essay by author Michael Gingold
     •MANIAC PUBLICITY: 'Paul Wunder' Radio Interview with William Lustig, Joe Spinell, and Carline Munro (19:11), William Lustig on 'Movie Madness' (47:18), Joe Spinell at Cannes (0:44), Joe Spinell on 'The Joe Franklin Show' (13:13) and Carline Munro TV Interview (2:54)
     •MANIAC CONTROVERSY: A selection of archival broadcast TV news clips, interviews and reactions to the film. (41:15)
     •Theatrical Trailers
     • TV Spots
     •Radio Spots

If, after watching all of that, you are left wanting still more, GET A LIFE!

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1956 - BLU-Ray - Olive Films - Scheduled Release Date:  October 16, 2018

Okay.  Everybody here know who stars and what this is all about - it's sure been remade enough times

Here's the good news:  This is an Olive Films Signature Series release.  That means, unlike a routine Olive Films release, it is loaded with bonus material.

Presented in 2.00:1 format.

OLIVE SIGNATURE FEATURES

1.  New High-Definition digital restoration
     2.  Audio Commentary by film historian Richard Harland Smith
     3.  Audio Commentary by actors Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter, and filmmaker Joe Dante
     4.  "The Stranger in Your Lover's Eyes" – A two-part visual essay with actor and son of director Don Siegel, Kristoffer Tabori, reading from his father's book A Siegel Film
     5.  "The Fear is Real" – Filmmakers Larry Cohen and Joe Dante on the film's cultural significance
     6.  "I No Longer Belong: The Rise and Fall of Walter Wanger" – Film scholar and author Matthew Bernstein discusses the life and career of the film's producer
     7.  "Sleep No More: Invasion of the Body Snatchers Revisited" –  Never-before-seen appreciation of the film featuring actors Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter, along with comments from film directors and fans, John Landis, Mick Garris, and Stuart Gordon
     8.  "The Fear and the Fiction: The Body Snatchers Phenomenon" – Never-before-seen interviews with Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter, along with film directors John Landis, Mick Garris and Stuart Gordon, discussing the making of the film, its place in history, and its meaning
     9.  1985 archival interview with Kevin McCarthy hosted by Tom Hatten
   10.  "Return to Santa Mira" – An exploration of the film's locations
   11.  "What's In a Name?" – On the film's title
   12.  Gallery of rare documents detailing aspects of the film's production including the never-produced opening narration to have been read by Orson Welles
  13.  Essay by author and film programmer Kier-La Janisse
  14.  Original theatrical trailer

Another great video release scheduled on my birthday.  I saw this as a new theatrical release when I was 10 and have loved it ever since.

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Lunkenstein on September 14, 2018, 01:50:59 AM
Looks like Universal is gonna do the right thing and fix the CREATURE set.  They are going to send out replacement discs (when they're ready) to those who purchased the initial release. They have also pulled the sets from online sites for now. I can only assume it will be re-released after the fixes are made. Glad I waited.  I sure do want it and the INVISIBLE MAN set.

Here's something from The Digital Bits about that:

http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/090618-0900
ADAM

Anton Phibes

Can someone please explain to me, in detail, what's wrong with the Creature blu ray legacy set....what should I look for to see if I need a replacement disc? In simple, easy to understand terms for a layman. Thanks.

Monsters For Sale

Murder By Death, 1976 - BLU-Ray - Shout Factory - Scheduled Release Date:  December 18, 2018

Eccentric millionaire Lionel Twain has invited the world's greatest detectives to his mansion for the ultimate battle of wits. Informing his guests that a member of the dinner party will be murdered at midnight, he offers a million dollars to the sleuth who solves the crime.

Stars Peter Falk, Eileen Brennen, David Niven, Maggie Smith, Elsa Lanchester, Estelle Winwood, James Coco, James Cromwell. Peter Sellers, Richard Narita, Alec Guinness, Nancy Walker and Truman Capote.  (Even Fay Wray provides the doorbell scream.)

Written by Neil Simon, whom we lost this year.

Too early for announcement of possible extras but, if Shout Factory is true to form, there will be at least a few.

My old DVD still looks great, but I can't wait to upgrade to a crisp Blu-Ray image and at least one Commentary.

OK, it ain't horror.  But it is a delight for fans of the old detectives and murders in mansions where the private dick gathers all the suspects around and explains whodunit.

Priceless.
ADAM

Mord

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on September 20, 2018, 12:34:24 PM

Maniac, 1980 - BLU-Ray -Blue Underground -  Scheduled Release Date:  November 13, 2018

Stars Caroline Munro, Gail Lawrence, Kelly Piper, Tom Savini, Hyla Marrow and Joe Spinell.

Somewhat dissatisfied fellow thinks the suffering of others will make his life feel rosier.  Hey, we've all been there, right?

SPECIAL 3-DISC BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION

Bonus Features:

• WORLD PREMIERE! New 4K Restoration from the recently discovered 16mm original camera negative!
     • 3-Disc Set (Blu-ray + Blu-ray + CD) includes High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) Widescreen 1.85:1 feature presentation + another Blu-ray PACKED with additional bonus material + Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD with MANIAC score by Jay Chattaway
     • Audio: 7.1 DTS-HD (English); 2.0 DTS-HD (English); Dolby Digital 2.0 (Castellano, Français, Italiano, Deutsch)
     • Subtitles: English SDH, Français, Español, Português, Deutsch, Italiano, Dansk, Suomi, Nederlands, Svenska, Russian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai
     • Audio Commentary #1 with Co-Producer/Director William Lustig and Co-Producer Andrew W. Garroni
     • Audio Commentary #2 with Co-Producer/Director William Lustig, Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Savini, Editor Lorenzo Marinelli, and Joe Spinell assistant Luke Walter
     •NEW! Maniac Outtakes Featurette
     • NEW! Returning to the Scene of the Crime with William Lustig
     • Anna and the Killer Interview with Star Caroline Munro (13:08)
     •The Death Dealer Interview with Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Savini (12:11)
     •Dark Notes Interview with Composer Jay Chattaway (12:13)
     •Maniac Men Interview with Songwriters Michael Sembello and Dennis Matkosky (10:38)
     • Mr. Robbie: 'Maniac 2' Promo Reel (7:28)
     • The Joe Spinell Story (49:12)
     • NEW! Collectable Booklet with new essay by author Michael Gingold
     •MANIAC PUBLICITY: 'Paul Wunder' Radio Interview with William Lustig, Joe Spinell, and Carline Munro (19:11), William Lustig on 'Movie Madness' (47:18), Joe Spinell at Cannes (0:44), Joe Spinell on 'The Joe Franklin Show' (13:13) and Carline Munro TV Interview (2:54)
     •MANIAC CONTROVERSY: A selection of archival broadcast TV news clips, interviews and reactions to the film. (41:15)
     •Theatrical Trailers
     • TV Spots
     •Radio Spots

If, after watching all of that, you are left wanting still more, GET A LIFE!

I love this film (even the remake is good). I would buy this, but I'm waiting for a comprehensive deluxe version with more bonus content. This "bare bones"edition doesnt cut it.

Lunkenstein

Quote from: Anton Phibes on September 20, 2018, 06:27:08 PM
Can someone please explain to me, in detail, what's wrong with the Creature blu ray legacy set....what should I look for to see if I need a replacement disc? In simple, easy to understand terms for a layman. Thanks.

From everything I've read, it was an issue with the authoring.  It made it very difficult to get REVENGE to play in 3D and also reduced the clarity - something to do with the bitrate. It basically made the superb restoration that was done look way less than steller.  Fans complained loudly and Universal has acknowledged the issues and is working on fixing it. They are promising replacement discs for those who already bought the set. It appears websites have recalled the set for now.  I waited on buying it after seeing all the complaints. What I'm hoping is that it will get re-released with the fixes in place at some point. I don't want to have to go through buying a faulty set and then having to do all the leg work of getting replacement discs.  They should just re-release it correctly for fans.
Paul