Pepsi/UniMonster Sleeping Bag

Started by Richard, December 28, 2008, 07:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

I don't know if this item has been discussed before.

This sleeping bag was produced for the Pepsi/Universal Monsters soda pop promotion.  It's made by Coleman (Lake City, S.C.) and is 75 inches long and 33 inches wide (as laid out on the floor). It has the Universal Monster logo and Pepsi logo in the stonework. The lightning/electricity around the Frankenstein Monster glows in the dark (really well!). I purchased this from a fellow in North Carolina in 1997. I believe he said he worked for a Pepsi distributor or was a sales rep~ don't know. There is no year on the bag that I can find. It must have been a give-away as I never found any offers for purchasing a sleeping bag on the pop boxes. It's very warm and well made! (though I wouldn't take it camping and get it soiled)

Here is a pic of it (with my cat, Mr. Puddy Tat, looking on)
Best,
Richard

darkmonkeygod

Wow Richard, that's a weird one. Pretty sure that was never for sale at retail, and I don't know of it being a prize in any of the Pepsi / UM promotions. The UM logo looks like the one they were using during the final year of the cross promotions ('94?) when the characters were made goofier and placed two to a carton on the 24 packs. Regardless, a real oddity. As always, thanks for showing it.

Do you have the UM sleeping bag that was produced for sale? I'd very much like to see better pix of it.
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Richard

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on December 28, 2008, 07:48:39 AM
Do you have the UM sleeping bag that was produced for sale? I'd very much like to see better pix of it.

Hi Shannon~no, don't have the retail UM sleeping bag.
But, along the lines of food/monster tie-ins, here's a cool poster. It's a 23" x 35" A&W "Frank n' Stein are really fine". I think it's from the late 70s but there is no date (produced by Communications 200). I got these (have 2) at the local A&W drive-in at the time of the promotion. I remember TV ads using these monster actors. And I've seen pinbacks on eBay related to this promotion.
Here is a pic of one of the posters (water glasses added to hold it flat)
Richard

Toy Ranch

That's a very cool sleeping bag, Richard.  Thanks for sharing!

ChattyLMS

Maybe the sleeping bags were not available to the general public.  Maybe they were given to salespeople or distributers for top sellers.
Laura ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Richard on December 28, 2008, 09:14:49 AM
Hi Shannon~no, don't have the retail UM sleeping bag.
But, along the lines of food/monster tie-ins, here's a cool poster. It's a 23" x 35" A&W "Frank n' Stein are really fine". I think it's from the late 70s but there is no date (produced by Communications 200). I got these (have 2) at the local A&W drive-in at the time of the promotion. I remember TV ads using these monster actors. And I've seen pinbacks on eBay related to this promotion.
Here is a pic of one of the posters (water glasses added to hold it flat)
Richard

Two you say? Heh, just kidding. I love this stuff, thanks for posting it. Seen a few items from this promotion, but never this poster. That Dracula, with his pinky extended, is hilarious, and Frank just looks so forlorn. "What's the matter pal, ya got a hotdog and root beer, chear up!"

My buddy Shawn ('phantom creeps' these days?) really focuses in on this type of promotional stuff and has some cool pieces. I'd love to meet the execs from the ad company that created this and see more photos from the sets. For that matter, wish I could have eaten at an actual Frank n' Stein restaurant (realize this poster is for A&W).

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: ChattyLMS on December 28, 2008, 05:22:51 PM
Maybe the sleeping bags were not available to the general public.  Maybe they were given to salespeople or distributers for top sellers.

That's a pretty good guess. Most everything I've seen from the Pepsi / UM promotions over the years is, well, promotional. Can't think of anything besides the twelve packs with the panels of monster portrait art on the backs and the two liter bottles and Doritos bags w/ those same portraits half-toned and cropped that were for sale, nor of any contests that had UM items as a prize (they were all money, Doritos and Pepsi, right?).

Posted some pix of the retail sleeping bag:
http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=2980.0

Batty Belfry

MY MY!!!!!!!  Mr. Tat is SOOOOOO handsome!!!!  Is there a Mrs. Tat too??????  by the way.....the sleeping bag is cool too!!!!!
"Flapping my wings, looking at things"

Jscareshock

Richard, that is an awesome sleeping bag!!

Richard

Quote from: Jscareshock on January 01, 2009, 08:04:53 PM
Richard, that is an awesome sleeping bag!!

Johnny, my friend, thank you!

Quote from: Batty Belfry on January 01, 2009, 02:55:49 AM
MY MY!!!!!!!  Mr. Tat is SOOOOOO handsome!!!!  Is there a Mrs. Tat too??????  by the way.....the sleeping bag is cool too!!!!!

So you like cats, Batty? Do you have any yourself? Mr. Tat has a sister~ who is named "Miss Kitty". She is with "Mr. Puddy Tat" in most of my pics (she missed this photo-op). They will be in future pics, I'm sure, coz I love them very much! And they love to pounce on monster toys.

Best,
Richard

Scatter

We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html