Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!

Started by Hepcat, May 13, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: Monolith on March 30, 2020, 05:50:25 AMThanks. Here's another item--it's the King Kong magic slate from 1968.

I loved magic slates as a kid! Therefore I still love them now. Someday I may expand my collecting activities into magic slates. A good sized collection could be entirely stored in plastic sheets within one tall artist portfolio type of binder.

Here are a few pictures from my small present collection:

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monolith

Those are great slates! I especially like the Weird-Oh's. I have a few more, too like Rocky and Bullwinkle and some other cartoon related magic slates. The slates I really want are the Munsters and Addams Family, but I always get outbid on them.

That King Kong coloring book I posted was made by Whitman, a company that made many coloring books. Here's another coloring book they made that was just for the Asian market. This coloring book is much harder to find than the other King Kong one. It's a larger size, too.

King Kong Show Coloring Book ( Whitman 1971 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

Here's a page of the coloring book so you can see what the art looks like. The copy that I have is actually the only copy I've ever seen.

King Kong Show Coloring Book ( Whitman 1971 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

This is the King Kong slide from the Kenner Give A Show Projector from 1968.I have a boxed projector and a bunch of other slides, too.

Kenner Give-A-Show King Kong Slide ( 1968 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

I have these three King Kong notebooks that were made in Japan in 1966. These are hard to find.

Japanese King Kong Notebook (1966) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

Monolith

And here's the third notebook. The company that made these also made notebooks with Speed Racer and Astro Boy.

King Kong Note Pad ( Seika 1966 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Lazarus

Hepcat

Quote from: Monolith on March 31, 2020, 05:32:49 AMThis is the King Kong slide from the Kenner Give A Show Projector from 1968.

Kenner Give-A-Show King Kong Slide ( 1968 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

How did you keep your slides so straight? I've found that the slides warp badly over the years.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Kenner Give-a-Show Projector from my own collection with the warped slides:

???

Monolith

Monolith

Hepcat---most of the Kenner Give A Show slides I see are warped. The slides I have inside by boxed set are also warped. I also have a bunch of loose slides that I store sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard that I cut so their just a little bit bigger than the slides, then I taped them together. This seems to keep them fairly flat.

I also have this ABC Comic, which was a one-off. It has King Kong comics inside, and others, showing why I would wake up early on Saturday morning--it was so I could watch all these cool cartoons.

ABC TV Comics 1967 by donald deveau, on Flickr

Hepcat

Quote from: Monolith on April 02, 2020, 05:20:12 PMI also have this ABC Comic, which was a one-off. It has King Kong comics inside, and others, showing why I would wake up early on Saturday morning--it was so I could watch all these cool cartoons.

I've now decided that there's a place for that comic in my collection even though I typically steer away from Marvel comics since they're so widely collected by most other comic fans.

:)

Hepcat

Whoops! Looks like Photobucket has now begun to crackdown on users such as myself who have found a way to skirt Photobucket's limits on uploading when we exceed the bandwidth usage ceiling. Hmmmmm. Not good. I might now have to pay more.

:(

Monolith

I also have this Handkerchief from the 1960's that was made for the Japanese market.

King Kong Handkerchief ( 1966 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Hepcat

Quote from: Hepcat on March 27, 2020, 04:07:55 AMThere was also at least one subsequent production run and re-release (of the Plas-Trix Monster Puzzles) after the initial one:

Note the absence of the 29 cent price plus the change in the ordering of the pictures on the re-issue. The fine print at the bottom reveals that the production and printing of the earlier ones was in the States sometime before 1 July 1963 when zip codes were introduced but that production was subsequently moved to Hong Kong.

Quote from: Hepcat on March 27, 2020, 03:13:44 PMSo far I've been able to determine only that the initial production run was sometime before 1 July 1963 when zip codes were introduced since the address of Plas-Trix was given as Brooklyn 8. Interesting this detail though:

Quote from: National Museum of American HistoryAccording to advertisements and articles in the New York Times, Plas-Trix Company was in business in Brooklyn by 1950 and went bankrupt in 1960.

This does not necessarily mean that no toys branded Plas-Trix could have been produced after 1960 since the original Plas-Trix could have been re-organized under different ownership or another company could have purchased the brand name.

I've not been able to determine when production was shifted to Hong Kong, or even whether production of the re-issued puzzles was authorized by whoever owned the Plas-Trix brand name at the time. It could well have been the case that the company Plas-Trix disappeared after 1960 and some fly-by-night outfit pirated their puzzles for reproduction a few years later. If Plas-Trix was no longer around to defend its intellectual property, such theft might have been relatively easy.

The fact that the original Plas-Trix Company appears to have gone bankrupt in 1960 raises an interesting question about the Official Bat Puzzle from 1966 pictured below:

Note how the puzzle image is strikingly similar to Batman's image on the classic cover of Detective Comics 31:

Now previously I'd thought that this Bat-Ree Corp. was just a transparent attempt by Plas-Trix to distance itself from legal liability for evading paying licensing fees to DC. Plas-Trix's previous bankruptcy though raises the question of whether some fly-by-night outfit wasn't also ripping off Plas-Trix copyrights/trademarks with this Bat Puzzle. I mean if some outfit was bold enough to rip off a successful publishing colossus like DC, why would it not also be willing to rip-off the owners of the copyrights of a bankrupt company?

???