Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!

Started by Hepcat, May 13, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palifan

These Plas-Trix puzzles are amazing but what year were they released?

Ian

Hepcat

So far I've been able to determine only that the initial production run was sometime before 1 July 1963 when zip codes were introduced since the address of Plas-Trix was given as Brooklyn 8. Interesting this detail though:

Quote from: National Museum of American HistoryAccording to advertisements and articles in the New York Times, Plas-Trix Company was in business in Brooklyn by 1950 and went bankrupt in 1960.

This does not necessarily mean that no toys branded Plas-Trix could have been produced after 1960 since the original Plas-Trix could have been re-organized under different ownership or another company could have purchased the brand name.

I've not been able to determine when production was shifted to Hong Kong, or even whether production of the re-issued puzzles was authorized by whoever owned the Plas-Trix brand name at the time. It could well have been the case that the company Plas-Trix disappeared after 1960 and some fly-by-night outfit pirated their puzzles for reproduction a few years later. If Plas-Trix was no longer around to defend its intellectual property, such theft might have been relatively easy.

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

Palifan

Thanks for the info, I didn't realise these were made so early as I thought that might have been released a bit later. Maybe they were bought up though by someone else as I remember these slide puzzles being quite big through the 70's.

Ian

Hepcat

The ones without the 29 cent price on the card from Hong Kong could very well have been sold into the 1970's.

:-\

Monolith

I like the cheap '60's monsteryness of those Plastrix puzzles

Here's another hard to find 1960's cartoon King Kong related item. It's a bank made by Transogram...

Rare King Kong Bank By Transogram (1960's) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

Here's another hard to find item from 1966. It's the 45RPM record with the King Kong theme song from the cartoon.

King Kong Theme Record (Epic 1966) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

Monolith

And here's the whole album which has the theme song, plus four stories...

1966 King Kong Record Front by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

This is actually a King Kong cartoon item thats easy to find. It usually sells for as little as twenty-five dollars. It's the 1966 Milton Bradley board game.

King Kong Board Game (Milton Bradley 1966) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

Monolith

Hepcat

Cool! You've probably got the finest collection of King Kong Show related collectibles on this board.

8)

Monolith

Quote from: Hepcat on March 30, 2020, 04:19:09 AM
Cool! You've probably got the finest collection of King Kong Show related collectibles on this board.

8)

Thanks. Here's another item--it's the King Kong magic slate from 1968.

1968 King Kong Magic Slate by donald deveau, on Flickr

Lazarus

Is there any way to get the kinks out of that plastic?  Heat maybe?

Monolith

Quote from: Lazarus on March 30, 2020, 05:52:25 AM
Is there any way to get the kinks out of that plastic?  Heat maybe?

I never tried it. Maybe heat would work.

Here's a Kong coloring book. This was made with a flocked cover version and also a non-flocked cover. I have the flocked.

1967 King Kong Coloring Book Cover by donald deveau, on Flickr