Author Topic: Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!  (Read 96305 times)

Mord

• Sergeant
Re: Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!
« Reply #1230 on: July 11, 2019, 01:49:45 PM »
Mattel Godzilla( the Godzilla in this photo is not mine. Mine is not available at the moment. All I need is the box)

I have an interesting, true story about this fella. Decades ago, my friend was showing me how cool the flying fist was. The fist flew right into his wife's face. She politely asked me to leave. A few months later, they divorced. Lucky guy.

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #1231 on: July 11, 2019, 02:05:23 PM »
I have an interesting, true story about this fella. Decades ago, my friend was showing me how cool the flying fist was. The fist flew right into his wife's face. She politely asked me to leave. A few months later, they divorced. Lucky guy.

Un huh…

But the guy got to keep all his toys, right?
ADAM

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #1232 on: July 11, 2019, 02:08:38 PM »
Un huh…

But the guy got to keep all his toys, right?
You bet. In retrospect, I'm not really sure how "accidental" it was.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #1233 on: July 11, 2019, 02:17:53 PM »
Here's an image from online showing the five Mattel Shogun Warriors. Godzilla makes the sixth figure in the line...

Hmmmmm. I'd be putting Godzilla and Rodan up against them all!

;)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #1234 on: July 11, 2019, 02:33:19 PM »
My money's on the big, green guy.

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #1235 on: July 11, 2019, 03:52:30 PM »
I'm guessing that the rising price of oil in the late 1970's is why Mattel didn't make any more four-foot-tall toys after Rodan.
The trend then was to make four inch tall figures like Mego's Micronauts, or Kenner's Star Wars line.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #1236 on: July 12, 2019, 09:08:51 AM »
Actually I don't think that would have been any kind of even noticeable cost factor. The direct cost of the plastic to produce a four inch figure might have been $0.005 at $25 per barrel oil, meaning the direct cost of the plastic to produce a two foot figure might have been $0.75. Compare those figures to the prices at retail. The cost factor behind all these toys is in design, marketing, packaging and distribution.

:)

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #1237 on: July 13, 2019, 09:23:18 PM »

About five or six years ago. I purchased a Mattel Godzilla on ebay. Missing lever and the fist mechanism, for a totally ridiculous amount. Later that month, I found another in a Antique shop. At a great price of forty plus dollars. Nevertheless. I should have waited.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #1238 on: July 13, 2019, 09:29:03 PM »
About five or six years ago. I purchased a Mattel Godzilla on ebay. Missing lever and the fist mechanism, for a totally ridiculous amount. Later that month, I found another in a Antique shop. At a great price of forty plus dollars. Nevertheless. I should have waited.
Think of it this way. Your were willing to pay that much for a broken one, right? Just pretend you paid the big bucks for the good one, and paid 40 bucks for a spare to bash around. Every monster needs a mate.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 09:39:18 PM by Mord »

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #1239 on: July 14, 2019, 10:16:57 AM »
Here are scans of a few more of my House of Secrets comics:

I had fun posing for that last cover, yes I did! The MAN's Corgi car collection will never be quite the same though....

cl:)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #1240 on: July 16, 2019, 09:07:24 AM »
Here are a couple pictures I lifted off the net of the wild cool Fireball Bagatelle that Marx issued in the late fifties(?):

8)

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #1241 on: July 16, 2019, 09:33:27 AM »
Love that FIREBALL art!  :)
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #1242 on: July 19, 2019, 09:46:35 AM »
In the summer of 1964(?) I bought a Revell Brother Rat Fink T-Shirt Iron-On Transfer at the Seven Mile Hobby Shop just west of the Southfield Expressway in Detroit and successfully applied it to one of my T-shirts.

My very old-school father though took one look at it, confiscated it and used it for a rag in the garage. Very sad. The same fate befell the Rat Fink sweatshirt I ordered up and received from "Big Daddy" Roth's shop in the winter of 1965-66.

:o

Oh well. I have all the T-shirts and loose T-shirt designs any self-respecting "Big Daddy" Roth fanatic could ask for these days. It's the Brother Rat Fink T-Shirt Iron-On Transfer I lack and of course really want these days.

:(
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:17:26 PM by Hepcat »