Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!

Started by Hepcat, May 13, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Aurora offered a set of six tins of Humbrol paints with fabulous James Bama box art in 1963:

Sadly very few if any of these sets have survived intact.

:(
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Here are scans of a couple of my Munsters comics:

cl:)

Hepcat

There were two different application technologies for kids' tattoos from the fifties to the seventies. The first involved wetting one's skin with water or more commonly spit and then applying the  tattoo to one's dampened skin. The Topps Monster Tatoos were of this type:

So were the nifty Fleer Justice League of America tattoos:

But as part of a few sports card sets Topps also issued rub-on transfers that were applied by placing the image against one's skin and then rubbing the backing paper with a coin edge. This technology enabled a bolder, brighter image on one's skin.

I have a set of 24 Topps 1961 CFL Transfers employing this technology. Here are some pictures:

As you can see the images came reversed. Here's a look at a computer "corrected" group of nine transfers which is of course how the images would appear on one's skin:

And the back:

I also have an uncut sheet of space themed rub-on transfers from Cracker Jack:

I remember these transfers being included as premiums in Cracker Jack for a few years around 1960. I saw the above uncut sheet hanging on the wall of the Let's Collect card shop in London's Treasure Island Gardens Mall over twenty years ago and I had to buy it.

8)

Palifan

That's an amazing collection you have there, very nice to see so thanks for posting them up as ever  ;D

Ian

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Hepcat on February 28, 2019, 02:58:52 PM

I have a set of 24 Topps 1961 CFL Transfers employing this technology. Here are some pictures:

As you can see the image came reversed. Here's a look at a computer "corrected" group of nine transfers which is of course how the images would appear on one's skin:

Were those football transfers drawn by Jack Davis? They look like they might be his work.

Hepcat

Good observation! They may indeed have been. Jack Davis was at the time doing a lot of artwork for Topps including for the backs of sports cards. Here for example is the reverse of a card from the 1960-61 Topps Hockey set:

:) 

marsattacks666

Quote from: Hepcat on February 21, 2019, 03:18:21 PM
Aurora offered a set of six tins of Humbrol paints with fabulous James Bama box art in 1963:

Sadly very few if any of these sets have survived intact.

:(

I would love to own this. Wow!!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 28, 2019, 07:46:37 PMWere those football transfers drawn by Jack Davis? They look like they might be his work.

I've now determined that they were almost certainly rendered by Jack Davis. As well as drawing images on the back of many other Topps sports cards in 1961, he did these Make-A-Photo Magic Rub-Offs on the back of the 1961 CFL cards:

It's therefore safe to conclude that Jack Davis also rendered the Rub-On Transfers included with the 1961 CFL cards.

Jack Davis was also the artist of record for the 1961 Topps Giant Funny Valentine cards:

Davis also drew these previous "giant" cards called Wacky Plaks for Topps in 1959:

8)

Hepcat

Here are some pics of Ideal's fabulous Robot Commando from 1961:

And here's the TV commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkXkFEXllQM

8)

Hepcat

Jim Bertges

Quote from: Hepcat on March 06, 2019, 03:59:03 PM
Here are some pics of Ideal's fabulous Robot Commando from 1961:

This guy was so cool that he even made a guest appearance on The Man From UNCLE TV show.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

Hepcat

ChristineBCW

"Dear David McCallum... how far you've come!"  This is hilarious.  I didn't know if this would be a Walking Dead scene where he had to shoot them in the head, or if Agnes Moorehead would pop up and use a broom.

Hepcat

Here's a photo of my Seaview model kit that Aurora released in 1966:

:)

Mike Scott

Why don't they ever mold models in the color they are supposed to be, so that you only have to paint details?

I wonder what a black Seaview would look like?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website