Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!

Started by Hepcat, May 13, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Transogram released this hypnotic in appearance Ka-Bala game in 1967:

It included some very neat Tarot card images:

The game got this cool plug in the DC comics of the time:

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Here are a couple of very cool pics of the Topper Motorized Monster Maker from 1969:

Can you imagine how great it would have been to get one of these for Xmas as a ten year old?

???

Can you imagine how great it would be to get one M.I.B. today?

;)

Hepcat

Here are a few pictures of the fabled MPC Haunted Hulk in the original shrink wrap!

Here Toy Ranch has filled out the rest of his own Haunted Hulk's crew with the other MPC Weird Monsters:

8)

Hepcat

Here are scans of a few more of my Mystery in Space comics:

8)

Hepcat

Quote from: Ugly_Thing on October 23, 2018, 12:34:08 AMYeah man, an excellent toy.  He's a king among rubbery bats.  I tossed mine around for years, having him terrorize endless action figures...limbs & heads conveniently fit nicely in his claws & jaws.  Just imagine how he felt in my six-year-old hands.  The 'blood' in mine never seemed to dry up.  Quality product.

You bet!

Quote from: Ugly_Thing on October 23, 2018, 12:34:08 AMMy friend tossed a clear green Suckerman at one of the school windows SO hard that it spider cracked, lol, causing a chorus of audible gasps and obvious consequences.  Good times.

:o

I'll say!

;D

Hepcat

Quote from: Ugly_Thing on October 23, 2018, 01:33:55 AMFor those that might give a rat's ass, there are intended and obvious connections between the classic/legendary monsters -- and yes, our beloved Universal Monsters were a large influence -- and this subset of 'evil monster' figures from the 1980s Masters of the Universe line.

All and then some are present:  Dracula/vampire, water creature, reanimated/zombie, werewolf/sasquatch, witch/sorceress, mummy, alien/mutant, robot, etc....

(It was revealed in a recently reprinted style guide that they WERE, in fact, the toy designers loving homage to the Universal Monsters.)

I would have gone for those big time as a kid!

8)

Gojirafan

Quote from: Ugly_Thing on October 23, 2018, 12:34:08 AM
Yeah man, an excellent toy.  He's a king among rubbery bats.  I tossed mine around for years, having him terrorize endless action figures...limbs & heads conveniently fit nicely in his claws & jaws.  Just imagine how he felt in my six-year-old hands.  The 'blood' in mine never seemed to dry up.  Quality product. 
My friend tossed a clear green Suckerman at one of the school windows SO hard that it spider cracked, lol, causing a chorus of audible gasps and obvious consequences.  Good times. 

I remember vividly as a kid finding $7 on the floor in Alexander's department store and immediately buying my green suckerman with it.
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

Hepcat

Here are scans from TheHoldingCoat's set of Monsters Magic Action Trading Cards:

The 24 cards all have the same back:

A piece of clear ribbed plastic is provided with the set. Sliding the plastic across the cards makes the images seem to move! Wow, too cool!

8)

Hepcat

Here are a few pictures of the Collegeville Surfink costume from 1964:

8)

Hepcat

Here's a scan of issue #8 of Warren's Spacemen magazine from 1964:

8)

Hepcat

Now here's a toy with which every self-respecting monster kid could have terrorized the family dog in the mid-sixties!

Introduced by Marx in the fall of 193 at a retail price point of $9.99, Big Loo was 37" tall, 12" wide, and 9" deep:

Here's the TV commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhH0MW44d78

8)

Hepcat

The first Prehistoric Times play set Marx issued was in 1957: 

Here's a picture of the contents from Bigbud's collection:

Marx reissued somewhat smaller versions of this play set in various boxes until 1963:

Marx reissued a variant of this play set with cliff terrain pieces in 1970 under the name One Million B.C.:

I believe the Prehistoric Play Set then followed:

And the Prehistoric Dinosaur Play Set:

And then Prehistoric Mountain:

And finally Giant Prehistoric Mountain with even taller cliff terrain pieces:

8)

Hepcat

I really like these Insult Postcards with Wally Wood and Dan Adkins artwork that Topps issued in 1966:

cl:)

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on December 21, 2018, 03:41:24 PM
And finally Giant Prehistoric Mountain with even taller cliff terrain pieces:

The Giant Prehistoric Mountain is the same size as the mountain included in earlier Marx Mountain sets (Prehistoric Mountain and One Million B. C.). The pieces were from the same molds. When Marx was bought by Dunbee-Combex they added the word "Giant" to the name for the reissue of the Prehistoric Mountain set in 1977. The biggest difference was that the mountain pieces were molded in gray plastic for the newer "Giant" version, whereas they were brown in the previous sets. Same size, though.

The photo you posted above is actually a Giant Prehistoric Mountain box beside one of the previous mountain setups in the brown plastic.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on December 26, 2018, 07:09:26 PMThe Giant Prehistoric Mountain is the same size as the mountain included in earlier Marx Mountain sets (Prehistoric Mountain and One Million B. C.). The pieces were from the same molds. When Marx was bought by Dunbee-Combex they added the word "Giant" to the name for the reissue of the Prehistoric Mountain set in 1977. The biggest difference was that the mountain pieces were molded in gray plastic for the newer "Giant" version, whereas they were brown in the previous sets. Same size, though.

Pretty sneaky!

:o