Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!

Started by Hepcat, May 13, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skully

Hey Hep!  Rat Fink pictures are great!!  I actually have a full box, along with an empty box of these,  also, I have a rather large,hollow plastic Rat Fink that has a cut out in the back, so it would lay flat, I believe, on a vending card.

Hepcat

Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Interesting the history behind Rat Fink becoming a pop culture icon. "Big Daddy" Roth began selling airbrushed T-shirts at custom car shows and through ads in the pages of Car Craft magazine in the summer of 1958. Rat Fink was Roth's answer to Mickey Mouse and quickly became one of his most popular designs. It was in the July 1963 issue of Car Craft that a finished Rat Fink design was unveiled for the mass market:

Roth Studios at the time screen printed their designs on white T-shirts and sweat shirts. Streaks of spray paint were then applied across the design as per the example here:

Revell had been producing model kits of some of "Big Daddy" Roth's custom cars since 1962 beginning with Tweedy Pie and Outlaw. By 1963 Revell was also issuing kits featuring Roth's fink designs. The first one was Mr. Gasser followed quickly by Mother's Worry, Drag Nut and then Rat Fink later in 1963:

Wow, stoke!

I was enraptured by the design as an eleven year old. It spoke to me. If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand anyway.

;)

The rest is history.

8)

skully

Hep, very true.  I too was fascinated with the "Rat Fink culture" way back in the mid 60's.  I was always buying the charms, (along with all the other gumball type stuff of the times).  I also liked the glow in the dark bat rings.  The early Roth custom cars "spoke volumes" to me at the time, with the model car craze going full tilt, the bubble top customs by Roth were the icing on the cake.  They were just so cool, so wild, almost like they weren't real. 

Hepcat

Allhallowsday

If you want to view Paradise, simply look around and view it.

Hepcat

I always drool when I see that (or any other) unopened rack pack of Pop-Top Horrors!

:)

Hepcat

Here are a few pictures of Japfeif's dinosaur playset collection:

And here's the book he wrote on the subject:

8)

Hepcat

Monster figures were quite popular in various target sets back in the sixties and seventies. This Weirdo Target Set included Palmer monsters: 

Palmer monsters were also repackaged in Dart Gun sets by Toy House of Wisconsin. Here are two examples of these sets from the book Too Much Horror Business - The Kirk Hammett Monster Collection:

These Toy House Dart Gun sets may have been the only way caramel coloured Palmer monsters were packaged and sold. Here are a few caramel coloured Palmers from the collection of Monsters for Sale:

The MPC Weird Monsters were the targets in this handsome Horror House Target Set:

cl:)

Hepcat

Here are scans of five more of my Mystery in Space comics:

8)

creaturefan95

Quote from: Hepcat on February 12, 2018, 02:27:39 PM
Here are scans of five more of my Mystery in Space comics:

8)

I love datestamps and your Mystery in Space #83 has two!

Hepcat

Red date stamps are a hallmark of comics from the Bethlehem collection from which my #83 originated.

Here then are scans of a few more of my Mystery in Space comics featuring DC's most beloved spaceman, Adam Strange:

I have fond memories of having bought the above comic the day of the annual charity bazaar at my local church in 1963.

8)

creaturefan95

Quote from: Hepcat on February 14, 2018, 03:37:43 PM
Red date stamps are a hallmark of comics from the Bethlehem collection from which my #83 originated.

Here then are scans of a few more of my Mystery in Space comics featuring DC's most beloved spaceman, Adam Strange:

I have fond memories of having bought the above comic the day of the annual charity bazaar at my local church in 1963.

8)

Woah, a pedigree book. Now it's even cooler!  Zombie Cool

Hepcat

Bally issued a fabulous Creature from the Black Lagoon pinball game late in 1992:

Here's a close-up of the machine's back glass:

And here's a close-up of the hologram the machine features:

These machines have to be a holy grail for any self-respecting Creature collector.

cl:)

Mike Scott

Quote from: Hepcat on February 26, 2018, 09:51:44 PM
These machines have to be a holy grail for any self-respecting Creature collector.

I have to limit myself to the various collectibles associated with the machine, like the brochure, the key fobs, the "3D" counter display, the embroidered patch and such.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website