Author Topic: Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!  (Read 116657 times)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
Re: Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!
« Reply #675 on: May 12, 2017, 10:00:14 AM »
I bought several Marx Nutty Mads and UniMons when I was a kid in the '60s and they were always loose bin items. Marx must have abandoned the packaging for those figures early on because I never saw any of it. In some instances it could have been that the retailers threw the packaging away so they could sell the figures for a bit more individually.

That packaging is so rare now that MIP examples could sell for hundreds of dollars. Back in the '60s it was just junk....

And I believe that a bagged set of Marx Universal Monster figures is even tougher to find!

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #676 on: May 12, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
Exactly what I've been saying for a L O N G time now, these very "treasures" of today were nothing but new junky items back then, we NEVER would have known that these things would be worth what they are today, they were meant to be played with, then discarded. Those of us who are "lucky" enough to have purchased these very items back in the day can now ,sometimes, only shake our heads when we see some of the prices realized....

And that of course is the Catch-22 situation. It had to be considered junk back in the day or else the destruction factor would not have kicked in to make these items so scarce and highly prized today.

That's also why the "instant collectibles" that are produced to be prized and cherished from the get-go hardly ever maintain their "value". Nobody throws them out. Therefore when the surge of demand generated by the hype upon release fades, so do the prices fetched since the supply hasn't dwindled,

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 11:33:08 AM by Hepcat »

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #677 on: May 12, 2017, 01:39:35 PM »
When General Mills launched Count Chocula and Franken Berry cereals in March 1971, many observers guessed that they'd turn out to be another here-today-gone-tomorrow kids' fad.

Well I'm glad to say that they're still on super market shelves! Here are a few older Count Chocula boxes:

8)

skully

• Corporal
« Reply #678 on: May 13, 2017, 12:25:18 AM »
Hep, so true.  There just isn't enough speaker heads, boxed or loose, MPC carded figures, Haunted Hulks, Horrorscopes, Hasbro paint sets, SPP plaques, ,etc. to keep us all happy. However, there are a few really scarce items from later years too. As an example, just try to find a carded "Yuk Head" , it's tough to do.  Empty gum card boxes are really tough too,depending on the subject.

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #679 on: May 13, 2017, 11:12:20 AM »
When General Mills launched Count Chocula and Franken Berry cereals in March 1971, many observers guessed that they'd turn out to be another here-today-gone-tomorrow kids' fad.

Well I'm glad to say that they're still on super market shelves! Here are a few older Count Chocula boxes:

8)

Is General Mills/Target still releasing the cereals seasonally? During Fall?
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #680 on: May 13, 2017, 11:46:29 AM »
Count Chocula is available all year round in most supermarkets here in Canada. I was also under the impression that both Count Chocula and Franken Berry could be found most everywhere in the States at any time of year. Boo-Berry though might just be seasonal. And Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy only rear their gaudy heads every few years during special promotions.

Perhaps one of our many American members could weigh in on the subject/question.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:49:33 PM by Hepcat »

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #681 on: May 13, 2017, 12:44:19 PM »
Is General Mills/Target still releasing the cereals seasonally? During Fall?
I buy Frankenberry, Count Chocula, and Booberry, every October at Target. Our nearest Walmart didn't have them last year, but I believe CVS did. I've been saving those folded boxes for years.  :D

I haven't seen Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy in our neckathewoods for 3 or 4 years. We live in the Southeast. I know it's seasonal for the main 3, but it may be regional as well?  :-\
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #682 on: May 13, 2017, 12:48:49 PM »
Another wild monstery type of cereal was Freakies which was launched by Ralston Purina in 1972:

The enclosed Freakies premiums were absolutely outta sight!

And the Freakies Cars subsequently released were even wilder!

Though I never even knew about Freakies cereal let alone the premium figures at the time, I have to admit that these Freakies are right up there with the very best cereal premiums of all time! 'Nuff said.

8)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:32:11 PM by Hepcat »

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #683 on: May 13, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »
The Freakie Magnet is a magazine for cereal collectors: http://www.lavasurfer.com/freakies/fm-zines.html

I have #11 which contains an article on Nabisco dinosaur premiums.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #684 on: May 13, 2017, 03:37:10 PM »
Hmmmmm, interesting! Maybe I should subscribe.

8)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #685 on: May 15, 2017, 04:12:54 PM »
Here are good shots of my Capitol "Big Daddy" Roth LPs:

And check out this wild cool custom build-up based on the cover illustration from the Hot Rod Hootenanny LP:

I mean talk about stoke!

8)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #686 on: May 16, 2017, 04:31:08 PM »
There were eight variations of the SPP monster wallets. There were four different character combinations:

Wolf Man - Creature
Mummy - Dracula
Phantom - Frankenstein
Frankenstein - Dracula

Each combination was available with either a magic slate or a mirror with the words "LOOK A MONSTER" printed on the surrounding plastic:

cl:)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:34:39 PM by Hepcat »

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #687 on: May 16, 2017, 06:32:36 PM »
Each combination was available with either a magic slate or a mirror with the words "LOOK A MONSTER" printed on the surrounding plastic:

So, only the magic slate version had the cards and the mirror version had a coin pocket.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #688 on: May 16, 2017, 08:42:02 PM »
The cards are some of coolest parts of those wallets.  8)

Was the other version a glass mirror?  :o  Wow, fall on your butt and suddenly you have a wallet full of glass shards...if you get lucky and they stay in the wallet.  :D
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #689 on: May 17, 2017, 09:49:35 AM »
So, only the magic slate version had the cards and the mirror version had a coin pocket.

No. Both versions had both a change purse and the cards. The change purse is buried under the cards in the top picture above while the plastic accordion card holder and cards are (for whatever reason) simply missing in the bottom picture.

The plastic card holder is attached underneath the change purse in the magic slate variant of the wallet but is attached underneath the mirror in the other version of the wallet.

Was the other version a glass mirror? 

Yes, you bet! Glass indeed.

;)