Author Topic: Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!  (Read 117142 times)

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
Re: Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2017, 10:52:39 AM »
I like the savanna in which your dinos dwell!

That's what I was thinking! Green bath mat, blue blanket, BAM, ya got a diorama!  ;D
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2017, 10:52:45 AM »
The little Triceratops in front and the Bronto off to the right are Timmee Minis. Here's a carded set I picked up a few months ago.

I suspect that the scale on those Timmee figures is off by just a bit. I'm not entirely sure though since the dinosaurs all evidently died off in the years prior to my birth.

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

Wich2

• Sergeant
« Reply #437 on: February 01, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »
Thanks, gents.

When I do a pic like this for my own fun, or for an ebay listing, I  try to keep the kid/fun in things.

-Craig

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #438 on: February 01, 2017, 12:56:09 PM »
Ebay listing?

:o

You mean you're willing to trade some of your treasures for little green pieces of paper with pictures of dead white men on them? Seriously? Only your doubles I hope.

???
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 10:15:32 AM by Hepcat »

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #439 on: February 01, 2017, 04:39:33 PM »
I suspect that the scale on those Timmee figures is off by just a bit. I'm not entirely sure though since the dinosaurs all evidently died off in the years prior to my birth.

Scale?! Cheap toy dinos from the '60s don't need no stinkin' scale:laugh:

Yeah, even the cream of the crop- Marx were way off on scale. Big on fun, not so much regarding correct scale.  :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Wich2

• Sergeant
« Reply #440 on: February 01, 2017, 08:29:27 PM »
Ebay listing? You mean you're willing to trade some of your treasures for green pieces of paper with pictures of dead white men on them? Seriously?

Sure - for the right reason, or right combination of reasons:

-1. Money is genuinely needed.

-2. The item does not interest me anymore.

-3. I know it would give someone else much more joy.

-4. I can trade a thing that I don't want much, for one that I do.

I get pleasure from some of these things - especially, the actual ones that have been with me since childhood (as with some of the dinos above.) But I try to Keep It Real, and as my ol' Midwestern Mom says,

"Things are just things."

Example: one of my Grails, that I've written about here, is a pink mini Electron+, the ToyHouse redo of the Colorforms Outer Space Men. I came across a collector once who said,

"Oh yes, I have about a dozen of that version - but I never part with any piece from my collection!"

Now, I wholly respect his right to that stance - but I can't find it in me to admire it much. I have often parted with my stuff in similar cases, for Reason #3 above.

Best,
-Craig

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #441 on: February 02, 2017, 10:21:03 AM »
Sure - for the right reason, or right combination of reasons:

-2. The item does not interest me anymore.

Funny. Me I never seem to lose interests. I just keep picking ones up from other people and thus accumulating more of them over time!

:laugh:

Example: one of my Grails, that I've written about here, is a pink mini Electron+, the ToyHouse redo of the Colorforms Outer Space Men. I came across a collector once who said,

"Oh yes, I have about a dozen of that version - but I never part with any piece from my collection!"

Now, I wholly respect his right to that stance - but I can't find it in me to admire it much. I have often parted with my stuff in similar cases, for Reason #3 above.

I can't empathize with the hoarding multiple copies mentality. I just want one really nice copy of things.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:00:15 AM by Hepcat »

Wich2

• Sergeant
« Reply #442 on: February 02, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »
>Me I never seem to lose interests<

Well, I rarely lose one... but can they wax and wane a bit, over time.

And when that happens, I find that "thinning the herd" is a good thing. For instance, now I have hundreds of comics that I genuinely love, and I appreciate them more than having thousands that I thought I "should" have!

-Craig

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #443 on: February 02, 2017, 12:11:30 PM »
>Me I never seem to lose interests<

Well, I rarely lose one... but can they wax and wane a bit, over time.

And when that happens, I find that "thinning the herd" is a good thing. For instance, now I have hundreds of comics that I genuinely love, and I appreciate them more than having thousands that I thought I "should" have!

-Craig
Over the last few years I went through the same thing with comics, Craig. For decades I avidly collected nearly everything Marvel as well as anything Horror/Monster. Well after a time I grew tired of the constant repetition and reimagining that Marvel went through from the '80s onward and found myself with thousands of comics that I lost interest in. I purged most of my comic collection and finally settled on my favorite Superhero books in addition to my other genres (the favorites being stuff from the mid '70s back for the most part- the stuff I grew up with). I never grew tired of the Monster titles though and those are really the focus of my collection, especially my monster magazines. Now I feel much less encumbered, and able to enjoy my favorite books all the more.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #444 on: February 02, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »
When it comes to comics, a "stepping-off" point is vital. Otherwise one becomes overwhelmed.

For me I certainly don't want any comics after DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths. Since 95% of my comics are pre-1975, I'm not coming close to even that stepping-off point.

:)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #445 on: February 03, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
Cousin Eerie is feeling aggrieved that his magazine has not yet received any attention in this thread:

I clearly and distinctly remember being so excited upon seeing that "first" issue advertised in Creepy that I went searching for it over the Xmas holidays on several newsstands when I couldn't find it at my corner Les' Variety. I found a copy at a variety store about six blocks away on Wortley Road.

One detail left me entirely confused though. In the Creepy magazine ad Uncle Creepy had referred to this Eerie fellow as his cousin. That would therefore make him Uncle Eerie to the rest of us. Yet Eerie was being called Cousin Eerie in his magazine. Puzzling.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:09:09 PM by Hepcat »

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #446 on: February 03, 2017, 05:03:01 PM »
And here is the small B&W ash can Eerie #1 that Warren rushed to publication to ensure that he held copyright to the name.

200 were printed and the few that turn up in the marketplace are quite expensive. Counterfeits were also printed and even those trade for big bucks.  It's one of the few Warrens that I haven't added to my collection..yet.

Warren beat Myron Fass of Eerie Publications infamy to the punch and out of spite Fass named his company Eerie which evidently didn't infringe on the copyright for the mag title. The comic/monster mag publication wars of the '60s and '70s were a real soap opera. Someone should write a book about it. I know the subject has been written about in bits but it would make a fascinating book all it's own for Silver/Bronze comic/monster mag collectors.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #447 on: February 03, 2017, 05:48:25 PM »
Warren beat Myron Fass of Eerie Publications infamy to the punch and out of spite Fass named his company Eerie which evidently didn't infringe on the copyright for the mag title.

Yeah, apples and oranges. Myron's middle finger salute to Warren.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Wich2

• Sergeant
« Reply #448 on: February 03, 2017, 08:13:41 PM »
Fass was, putting it mildly, a piece of work.

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #449 on: February 03, 2017, 08:36:43 PM »
The Weird World Of Eerie Publications contains some interesting info on sleazemeister Myron.  :D

He carried a hand-cannon in the office for one thing, and he even shot it in there a few times. He used it to threaten and intimidate people. What a sweetheart.  ::)

ALWAYS MONSTERING...