Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!

Started by Hepcat, May 13, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Here are scans of four of my Tales of the Unexpected comics:

8)

Fantomah

Quote from: Hepcat on January 19, 2017, 03:45:25 PM
Here are scans of four of my Tales of the Unexpected comics:

LOL, for a split second I thought a few of those covers featured the Challengers of the Unknown, due to the Bob Brown art and also the similar yellow&red costumes.

You really have quite an impression collection, Hepcat.

Hepcat

Thank you!

The Challengers of the Unknown wore burgundy coloured jumpsuits early in their careers when Jack Kirby handled the artwork:

The much underappreciated until recently Bob Brown took over the artwork on the Challengers title with issue #9 after Kirby left DC :

The Challengers didn't start wearing yellow and red uniforms until issue #43 in 1965:

8)

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on January 15, 2017, 05:53:56 PMThe flats were made by Best Plastics Corp. and patterned after the Palmer sculpts. The Best cavemen and dinos were patterned after Marx and Ajax sculpts.

What about that little red car on the upper left? Did a little plastic vehicle come in each pack? Have you ever tried to determine how many different vehicles came in the packs?

???

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on January 20, 2017, 06:55:52 PM
What about that little red car on the upper left? Did a little plastic vehicle come in each pack? Have you ever tried to determine how many different vehicles came in the packs?

???
Each of my two Grab Bags had a random cheap toy in addition to the 2 Best dinos and the candy. My other Grab Bag has a plastic peanut in it!  :laugh:

I'm still not sure if the Best monster/cavemen flats were included in pairs like the dinos, or if they were the extra toy in some packs. These Grab Bags only sold for a nickel so there were probably several combinations included over the years because Best Plastics probably didn't really care on such a cheap item. The kids that bought 'em cared though.  ;)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Here's the set of Anchor-Hocking monster glasses belonging to Raycastile:

8)

Hepcat

Here are some good shots of the Hasbro Phantom of the Opera Mystery game:

cl:)

jerod

Only missing Creature (which I've never seen in person).
jerod

Count Zero

looking for vhs recordings of tnt's monstervision with joe bob briggs

Hepcat

Was the Famous Monsters Fan Club a Warren Publishing creation/venture?

???

Count Zero

Quote from: Hepcat on January 24, 2017, 03:24:09 PM
Was the Famous Monsters Fan Club a Warren Publishing creation/venture?

???

Yes, they were
all of the buttons in the top row with the exception of phantom are second gen. though
ray ferry / dynacomm cranked out A TON of stuff in the 90s.. buttons.. postcards.. wallets... binders... and so on

i'd love to know how many variations of the fan club button were made during this time
looking for vhs recordings of tnt's monstervision with joe bob briggs

Hepcat

Quote from: Count Zero on January 24, 2017, 03:42:44 PMall of the buttons in the top row with the exception of phantom are second gen. though
ray ferry / dynacomm cranked out A TON of stuff in the 90s.. buttons.. postcards.. wallets... binders... and so on

By "second generation" I take it you mean issued when Ray Ferry was publishing Famous Monsters of Filmland..

???

horrorhunter

Quote from: Count Zero on January 24, 2017, 02:07:19 PM

here is a group shot of some of my fan club buttons
Very nice collection. I have the Ferry Creature and FM repop Phantom buttons and the legit Warren Creepy, Eerie, and FM buttons. I never did get a Warren Vampi button but I do have an unused original Vampirella fan club membership card. I love the Warren stuff, the DynaFerry stuff not so much (Ray Ferry's name is a bit souring in these parts  ;)). Thanks for posting your monster buttons.  :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

A pic of the Vampirella Fan Club Membership Card:

That pic was grabbed from Pinterest. My card looks like that except it was never number stamped. It must have been among some unused membership cards that were liquidated at the Warren bankruptcy auction in the early '80s. The back of my card is(was) white and has the yellowed look of age appropriate for a card from the '70s.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...