Author Topic: Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!  (Read 117139 times)

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
Re: Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2016, 01:16:46 PM »

Orbitron and Xodiac are still two of my favorites. Were these re-released as an entire set, around 2010?
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Rockshasa

• Sergeant
    • Bobby's Moster Models
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2016, 01:38:45 PM »
Were these re-released as an entire set, around 2010?

And then some…

Four Horsemen released them a couple years back. Not only giving us the originals again, but also giving us the 2nd series which got canceled and was never released back in the 1960's. These figures are much smaller though, and are not the rubbery/gumby figures with the wires hidden inside. They are now interchangeable, so you can pop them apart and rebuild your own aliens. Despite the differences from the originals, these new versions are still awesome, and the quality is top notch. The other nice thing about them is the clamshells are only on the front of the card, so you can pop the plastic clamshell off of the card without damaging anything, and put it back on if you so choose…something I wish other toy makers would do. The other neat thing was they also released these in alternate "clear" colors. Many of these figures are still available at StoreHorsemen:

http://www.shopfourhorsemen.com/outerspacemen.html

I love these things and had Electron+ - The Man from Pluto, back in the 1960's.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:52:50 PM by Rockshasa »

Rockshasa

• Sergeant
    • Bobby's Moster Models
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2016, 01:46:35 PM »
They forgot "The Man From Mercury".

You mean this guy?
 :)
Personally, I think they should have named him "Freddie"...and "flame" would have described him really well, LOL.
 ;D

Rockshasa

• Sergeant
    • Bobby's Moster Models
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2016, 01:50:45 PM »
I understand that those are highly prized finds these days because they're not very common.

Brand new, in package, they are worth a small fortune each.
These guys are my grails, but I can't afford the originals…ah well, at least they re-popped them.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2016, 09:36:09 AM »
You mean this guy?

:)

Was Inferno from Mercury part of the original series from the sixties or was he not?

???

Collecting! It's what I do!

Rockshasa

• Sergeant
    • Bobby's Moster Models
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2016, 11:40:17 AM »
Yes, he was part of the planned 2nd series which never saw the light of day.
You can see picks of the Series 2 prototypes here:
http://melbirnkrant.com/osmcards/page1.html

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2016, 09:00:00 AM »
Jack Davis may very well top the list of my favourite comic artists. Here are scans of a couple of my comics featuring Jack Davis cover art:

cl:)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2016, 01:00:17 PM »
I still very clearly remember the day I first saw a copy of the 3-D Monsters magazine on the newstand. It was late autumn 1964. I was perusing the comic rack at the News Depot on the north side of Dundas Street just west of Wellington in downtown London. Staring me in the face right beside the comics were two monster magazines unlike any I'd ever seen before.

The first was the very wild 3-D magazine:

The second was the first issue of Creepy.

So taken was I by these two magazines I forgot all about the comics. As a result, I can't narrow the date down to a certain month from the comics I remember on the rack.

I decided to choose just one of the two magazines, finances probably being a paramount consideration. Now the 3-D concept was powerfully exciting to my young mind, but the Creepy magazine had more and better content overall. Moreover, the 3-D Monsters was $0.50 and the Creepy only $0.35. That settled it. So the Creepy it was!

A sound choice too in retrospect given how that Creepy issue launched a whole genre of new horror magazines while the 3-D Monsters ended up a largely forgotten one shot. But a vague recollection of that 3-D magazine stayed with me over the years and I wondered about its identity after I started reaccumulating the Warren magazines again thirty years ago. But lo and behold a copy showed up on the wall of Dragon Lady Comics on Queen Street in Toronto some 25 years ago, unused 3-D glasses and all! I snapped it right up!

Rockshasa

• Sergeant
    • Bobby's Moster Models
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2016, 10:37:08 PM »
When I was a kid, my Dad use to take me to a newstand that had a huge selection of magazines and comics. I use to buy comics back then, but my Dad was really into the Warren magazines, and use to buy Creepy and Eerie every month. When I was a teen in the late 70's, I had a garage band that rehearsed in my basement, and we use to sit on the couch during break and read Creepy and Eerie. When I hit my early 20's and moved out, I let my Mom throw out all of the Creepy and Eerie mags. I can't believe I let her do that. I had like a two foot pile of them. Ah well...

skully

• Corporal
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2016, 01:13:59 AM »
Hepcat, I also remember the 3-D Monster Mag being sold in 64,  I had by that time a nice pile of FM's, and decided to buy the 3-D mag. I can still remember saying to myself, wow, they are using these Aurora kits a lot for this magazine, but I remember too saying the same thing about FM #32.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2016, 04:12:54 PM »
When I hit my early 20's and moved out, I let my Mom throw out all of the Creepy and Eerie mags. I can't believe I let her do that. I had like a two foot pile of them. Ah well...

:o

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2016, 04:42:04 PM »
I still very clearly remember the day I first saw a copy of the 3-D Monsters magazine on the newstand. It was late autumn 1964. I was perusing the comic rack at the News Depot on the north side of Dundas Street just west of Wellington in downtown London. Staring me in the face right beside the comics were two monster magazines unlike any I'd ever seen before.

The first was the very wild 3-D magazine:

The second was the first issue of Creepy.

So taken was I by these two magazines I forgot all about the comics. As a result, I can't narrow the date down to a certain month from the comics I remember on the rack.

I decided to choose just one of the two magazines, finances probably being a paramount consideration. Now the 3-D concept was powerfully exciting to my young mind, but the Creepy magazine had more and better content overall. Moreover, the 3-D Monsters was $0.50 and the Creepy only $0.35. That settled it. So the Creepy it was!

A sound choice too in retrospect given how that Creepy issue launched a whole genre of new horror magazines while the 3-D Monsters ended up a largely forgotten one shot. But a vague recollection of that 3-D magazine stayed with me over the years and I wondered about its identity after I started reaccumulating the Warren magazines again thirty years ago. But lo and behold a copy showed up on the wall of Dragon Lady Comics on Queen Street in Toronto some 25 years ago, unused 3-D glasses and all! I snapped it right up!

Great story, Hepcat. I wonder how many of the 3-D glasses
are still intact/unused/attached to other copies.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2016, 06:44:30 PM »
I wonder how many of the 3-D glasses are still intact/unused/attached to other copies.

There was a warehouse find of these, some years back, so when you see them for sale, they're mostly in very nice condition with the glasses still attached and are relatively cheap.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2016, 08:12:03 PM »
There was a warehouse find of these, some years back, so when you see them for sale, they're mostly in very nice condition with the glasses still attached and are relatively cheap.
Glad of it too! I picked mine up around 15 years ago from Dennis Druktenis for around $10 and it's in F/VF (7.0) condition with glasses attached and nice page quality.  :)

If it weren't for warehouse finds of mags like this, and especially the Warrens, monster mag collectors would be SOL getting most of these reasonably priced and in nice condition. I read a few years ago that if not for the Warren Warehouse then Creepy #1 would be a $5,000 mag in NM. I think that's an exaggeration but there's no doubt that all of the Warrens would be far more expensive now and it would be nearly impossible to complete runs of the Warren titles. Thanks to the WW collectors can still find most Warren issues in fairly nice condition and the prices are still affordable (though they have increased significantly in the last 20 years). Most older monster mags are still a bargain, especially Warrens considering the quality of story and art.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

bigbud

• Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2016, 04:50:47 PM »
I have nothing to add......all my stuff is in storage......ARGH!