Author Topic: Karloff on Midway  (Read 1543 times)

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
  • "The Monster was the best friend I ever had."
Karloff on Midway
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:26:27 PM »
Recently got this lot from an Ebay auction and was very pleased.  Talk about ephemeral material!  Odds against these fragile pieces surviving were fairly great-- A sailor (?) or at least someone who saw Karloff do ARSENIC on Midway saved the base newspaper with its front page article, a picture supplement page, and the program for the play.  Interesting to see one of the cast members, who was in the military at the time, was a young Werner Klemperer!  HOGAN'S HEROES was many years down the line for him.  His father was famous in the music world, but I can't help wonder if Dear Boris did something to help Klemperer out in show biz at some point?
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

Meek

• Sergeant
Re: Karloff on Midway
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:40:09 PM »

Otto Klemperer was the director of the Berlin State Opera. Frau Klemperer was an opera singer. I believe they left Germany around 1933. I have a CD with Otto directing the Berlin State Opera playing selections from "The Three Penny Opera"-one of my favorites. Werner said that he and his siblings learned English from someone their father hired who didn't speak German.
   In one of the recent Karloff biographies there is a photo of the cast from "Arsenic & Old Lace" on Guadalcanal (I think)with some Marines and you get to see Boris & Werner in camouflage messing about with a machine gun.

"Meek"(soldatan wohnen auf den Kanonan)
"I am like a Unicorn in a racing stable. Beast doesn't fit."   T.E.Lawrence

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
  • "The Monster was the best friend I ever had."
Re: Karloff on Midway
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:21:14 AM »
Danke, Meek!   The beauty is in the details, and I'm grateful to get them.  I remember seeing the photo you mention, and others over the years, of Boris among the soldiers, working at the USO, entertaining the troops. 
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell