Does your better half like Horror/Monsters?

Started by Gory Glenn, March 01, 2016, 06:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

Quote from: Gory Glenn on May 02, 2016, 08:57:18 PM
He played a gorilla in a few movies but I'd guess it was probably from "Murders in the Rue Morgue" which was a Universal film.

I'm talking about the DP calendar masks gorilla. Isn't that just a DP original creation?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Mike Scott on May 02, 2016, 09:13:33 PM
I'm talking about the DP calendar masks gorilla. Isn't that just a DP original creation?

As far as I know it was based on Charlie's suit but I'll reach out and verify. I know that the calendar mask was the same mask that came with the DP complete suit. The reason they included the gorilla was because they needed a 12th character for the calendar so they put it on the month of April hence the name April the Gorilla.

EDIT: Here's an article that explains that the DP Gorilla was originally cast from Charlie's gorilla mask. Here's a quote:

QuoteIn an interview I read with the late Verne Langdon, ( the former co-owner and vice president of DPS) he stated that he had sculpted the Hollywood Gorilla from a clay press of Charles Gemora's ape face master mold ! ( The mask was later to be re sculpted by Pat Newman)

Pat Newman re-scuplted a few of the original DP masks including the Glenn Strange Frankenstein. It also explains that this particular gorilla was originally sculpted for the film "Phantom of the Rue Morgue" which was a Warner Brothers film so it's a little confusing about the Universal copyright on the photo unless Charlie was under contact with them when he did that film or maybe it's because "Phantom" is basically a re-make of "Murders". Full article here:

http://www.hollywoodgorillamen.com/2011/09/don-post-hollywood-gorilla.html

Mike Scott

Quote from: Gory Glenn on May 02, 2016, 09:31:55 PM
It also explains that this particular gorilla was originally sculpted for the film "Phantom of the Rue Morgue" which was a Warner Brothers film so it's a little confusing about the Universal copyright on the photo

To me, it just doesn't seem unique enough for someone to be ably to copyright it. Of course, I don't understand how they were able to copyright Lugosi's face and call it "Dracula", either.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

charp13

All these pictures and shared stories make my heart sing!!  Monsters are meant to be enjoyed by all ages and all types of humans...and some semi-humans as well.  I've been married for 36 1/2 years- I don't even remember how or when I found the person that was goofy enough to go up to ye olde courthouse, and sign the papers. But what's done is done!  Ha!  There's no turning back now... Anyways, he has put up with my monster enthusiasm since day 1...  Or 2.  And he better like my monsters, because our bedroom is modeled after my obsession with the Universal Monsters Cafe in Orlando.  We go to sleep every night with the monsters watching over us.  I think the main reason I have a monster bedroom & Haunted Mansion living & dining room, is because I have no idea how to decorate a house and I love to see all my treasures.  And I looooove The Stooges! Also, I put up with his computer stuff.  Oh well.   This is a cool topic! 

Gory Glenn

Quote from: charp13 on May 05, 2016, 06:50:11 PM
All these pictures and shared stories make my heart sing!!  Monsters are meant to be enjoyed by all ages and all types of humans...and some semi-humans as well.  I've been married for 36 1/2 years- I don't even remember how or when I found the person that was goofy enough to go up to ye olde courthouse, and sign the papers. But what's done is done!  Ha!  There's no turning back now... Anyways, he has put up with my monster enthusiasm since day 1...  Or 2.  And he better like my monsters, because our bedroom is modeled after my obsession with the Universal Monsters Cafe in Orlando.  We go to sleep every night with the monsters watching over us.  I think the main reason I have a monster bedroom & Haunted Mansion living & dining room, is because I have no idea how to decorate a house and I love to see all my treasures.  And I looooove The Stooges! Also, I put up with his computer stuff.  Oh well.   This is a cool topic!

That is so awesome! My bedroom is my monster room also. Mostly masks which can be extra frightening to the uninitiated as they are life size and cover all 4 walls. I've just started seeing someone who likes horror but we haven't made it to my chamber just yet. We'll see what happens.  :)

charp13

I only have a few masks on my shelves, but I keep a homemade mummy and a store bought silly looking Frankenstein's monster on either side of the bed.  I always tell my grandsons that they are big dolls!  That makes them relatable to younger kids. 

Kidagain

Quote from: Gory Glenn on May 05, 2016, 07:50:05 PM
That is so awesome! My bedroom is my monster room also. Mostly masks which can be extra frightening to the uninitiated as they are life size and cover all 4 walls. I've just started seeing someone who likes horror but we haven't made it to my chamber just yet. We'll see what happens.  :)
Glenn,now behave yourself.

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Kidagain on May 05, 2016, 09:21:33 PM
Glenn,now behave yourself.

Let me tell ya 'bout the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees.....with monsters ;)

Hepcat

Quote from: charp13 on May 05, 2016, 08:19:55 PMI always tell my grandsons that they are big dolls!  That makes them relatable to younger kids.

Life size action figures are widely available by mail order these days. They're customizable to meet even the most exacting monster kid's preferences too.

;)
Collecting! It's what I do!