Vintage Fireball XL5

Started by Allhallowsday, February 18, 2016, 03:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allhallowsday

Here is the vintage What's it? thread.  Post pictures of toys you aren't sure what they are and ask the Army to advise. 
I'll start: 
Who are these guys...??  They may be marked MPC.  I think they may have been stapled to a display card probably with plastic around it...

If you want to view Paradise, simply look around and view it.

horrorhunter

Quote from: Allhallowsday on February 18, 2016, 03:42:14 AM
Who are these guys...??  They may be marked MPC.  I think they may have been stapled to a display card probably with plastic around it...

MPC Fireball XL5 figures.

http://bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?fireballindex
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Allhallowsday

Okay, horrorhunter, Thanks!!  I've owned these three a long time but had no clue what they were... how many were in the group and do you know their names? 

Found this online; a whole world I knew nothing about: 

Post a pic or anybody else! 
If you want to view Paradise, simply look around and view it.

The Red Death 30

Looks like the little guy has something inappropriate between his legs ☺

Mike Scott

Quote from: The Red Death 30 on February 18, 2016, 11:33:06 AM
Looks like the little guy has something inappropriate between his legs ☺

Let's hope it's a tail!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

Quote from: Allhallowsday on February 18, 2016, 05:55:10 AM

Wow! What a great sci-fi related set! Puts Star Trek stuff to shame. I wonder what one would cost?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on February 18, 2016, 03:59:42 PM
Wow! What a great sci-fi related set! Puts Star Trek stuff to shame. I wonder what one would cost?

???
A bunch.

Here's an eBay listing for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FireBall-XL5-MIB-Multiple-1965-/322011533004?hash=item4af9620ecc:g:rM8AAOSwWTRWxMgk

This price is extremely excessive, but you get the idea.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Oh. That's the fellow who specializes in picking up toys for dozen$ or even a couple of hundred$ and then listing them indefinitely with an absolutely ridiculous  B.I.N. Unfortunately he can pursue this strategy at negligible cost because Ebay doesn't levy listing fees that vary with the size of the B.I.N. or the length of time a listing is open.

::)

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on February 19, 2016, 12:22:02 AM
Oh. That's the fellow who specializes in picking up toys for $dozens or even a couple of hundred$ and then listing them indefinitely with an absolutely ridiculous  B.I.N. Unfortunately he can pursue this strategy at negligible cost because Ebay doesn't levy listing fees that vary with the size of the B.I.N. or the length of time a listing is open.

::)
:laugh:

Yeah, that was for laughs.

Anyway, here's a Space City that sold for $565. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1964-RARE-STEVE-ZODIAC-FIREBALL-XL5-SPACE-CITY-PLAY-SET-COMPLETE-/201472918613?hash=item2ee8b8c455:g:~m0AAOSw7FRWVLJ-

$565 is a really good price for the big set. I've seen it closer to $1K. The smaller sets bring pretty good bank too, and even loose figures have some value.

I had one of the smaller sets with some figures as a child. I sold those to another collector a few years ago for a decent sum. I never tried to collect FBXL5 items because it would take a chunk out of my wallet that I would rather sink into monster/dino stuff. Still, I always have my eye out for a good deal, and wouldn't mind having some if I could capture a bargain.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Evidently the MPC Big Twenty Inch Long Fireball XL5:

And the Fireball XL5 Galaxy Patrol:

Were combined for the Fireball XL5 Space City set:

Too cool!

8)

AndyFish

The show streams for free on Amazon Prime and it's a lot of fun.  I started watching it last year and of all those puppet shows the Brits did this was my favorite.

Hepcat

Standard Plastics Products produced several Fireball XL5 items as well. One was this nifty binder suitable for school or office use:

Plus two different Fireball XL5 wallets. The first was a boys' wallet featuring Steve Zodiac:

The second was a girls' wallet featuring Dr. Venus:

The girls' wallet is perhaps even more appealing to me as an adult enthusiast than is the boys' wallet.

;)

Krel

I wanted the big XL5, but I got the Galaxy Patrol instead.   :laugh:  I also had the lunch box with the great Wally Wood artwork as my lunch box through grade school.

David.

Hepcat

Quote from: Krel on May 15, 2021, 02:31:10 AMI also had the lunch box with the great Wally Wood artwork as my lunch box through grade school.

Ahhhhh yes, the fabulous one from King-Seeley in 1964:

:)

I'd still be carrying a Fireball XL5 lunch box to work if I had one.

:(

ilikemonsters

Beautiful Lunch box!
Was Fireball marketed in the US or UK?