Author Topic: Familair Faces From Classic Horror/SciFi films...  (Read 8714 times)

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
Re: Familair Faces From Classic Horror/SciFi films...
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 09:45:47 PM »
Milton in one of the best episodes of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, as the creepy caretaker of the haunted cabin in "The Ghost of A. Chantz".

CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

ChristineBCW

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 08:41:47 AM »
Memph, I was going to offer up Maria Ouspenskaya...

...but I don't think she qualifies because she's so much more than a familiar face - she's probably a familiar name with classic monster fans.  She only had a decade in Hollywood but appears in 2 dozen classic films - from DODSWORTH and CONQUEST (Greta Garbo, Charles Boyer) to the less stratified TARZ & THE AMAZONS, WYOMING and her final film, A KISS IN THE DARK (David Niven, Jane Wyman, Broderick Crawford).  She was a heavy smoker, fell asleep with a ciggie, torched her bed and was badly burned, dying 3 days later of a stroke.   She was also a difficult co-star because, as her IMBD biog claims, she was "addicted to astrology" and would appear on-set only at certain times according got her astrology. 

I'm not sure my second subject is any more qualified for your list because he too is such a known 'name' - Frank Reicher:

He is familiar as the ship's captain in that 1933 film named, uh... well, never mind.  But IMDB has him credited with 230 titles, including 1951's SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN, his last, to a 1915 silent.  We can assume there were many many more of those Silents, long since lost. 

He did the first two KONG films as Capt Englehorn, but also appeared in just about every other Hollywood star's supporting cast in his decades. 

His roles were often uncredited - simply a line or two here, a few lines there, maybe only 1 or 2 scenes - anywhere a producer needed an older, chiseled face, Frank Reicher fit in.  I'm rather amazed to see that he appeared in a large number of "series films" - Torchy Blane, Hildegarde Withers, Gildersleeve, the original Captain America serial, the Mummy's Ghost, House of Frankenstein, Nick Carter Detective, Chaplin's later indie films, William Powell, Joe Palooka, and into Westerns.  With a face like that, sure, why not everything?  And that seems to have been his calling-card - Have Film, Will Travel.

Flower

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 02:11:21 PM »
I don't consider Maria Ouspenskya to be a character actor. She has a long acting history, starting in Russian silent films.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 03:16:10 PM »
I don't consider Maria Ouspenskya to be a character actor.

If you're not a character actor, then you just play yourself, of the same character, in every film/play.
CREATURE FAN

ChristineBCW

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 03:23:24 PM »
Well, "long history" is comparatively short in those first two decades of the Twentieth Century, and particularly so in a war-ravaged society like Russia inflicted upon its population.  Supposedly, she technically defected to the US in 1922 following a brief American tour before Lenin's Terror took full force. 

I think 'character actor' is the euphemistic term of "not the leading actor/actress" and refers to a career as opposed to any single film or collection.  I think most actors only portray one basic character on-screen - Jack Nicholson, for example.  He could thus qualify as a 'character actor', but he's considered 'a star' or leading actor because of his central role and top billing in so many films.

Maria's work from her surviving films only has her as a supporting actor, offering up her wise sage-giving/advisor character, time after time.

My doubts of Maria's 'qualifying' for Memph's list is more based on my belief that's she more than a familiar face, but also a familiar name.  Spelling that name, well, that's another story-!

Flower

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 03:28:03 PM »
If you're not a character actor, then you just play yourself, of the same character, in every film/play.

DUH!

So .. every actor is a character actor?  Makes no sense.

As for Maria Ouspenskaya, she made only two horror films and it's a shame that such a talented woman would by type cast.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Flower

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 03:30:27 PM »
Well, "long history" is comparatively short in those first two decades of the Twentieth Century, and particularly so in a war-ravaged society like Russia inflicted upon its population.  Supposedly, she technically defected to the US in 1922 following a brief American tour before Lenin's Terror took full force. 

I think 'character actor' is the euphemistic term of "not the leading actor/actress" and refers to a career as opposed to any single film or collection.  I think most actors only portray one basic character on-screen - Jack Nicholson, for example.  He could thus qualify as a 'character actor', but he's considered 'a star' or leading actor because of his central role and top billing in so many films.

Maria's work from her surviving films only has her as a supporting actor, offering up her wise sage-giving/advisor character, time after time.

My doubts of Maria's 'qualifying' for Memph's list is more based on my belief that's she more than a familiar face, but also a familiar name.  Spelling that name, well, that's another story-!

Another poster PM'd me about your post and sent me the link to the thread knowing that I have a long interest in Maria Ouspenskaya.  I don't know his motives and have said all that I needed to say.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:33:33 PM by Flower »

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 03:30:28 PM »
I think 'character actor' is the euphemistic term of "not the leading actor/actress" and refers to a career as opposed to any single film or collection.

Dustin Hoffman is a star and very much a character actor.
CREATURE FAN

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 03:40:32 PM »
So .. every actor is a character actor?  Makes no sense.

No. A character actor, like Lon Chaney, plays a wide variety of characters. Other actors just play themselves, or their one screen character, like Cary Grant.

PS: I meant to say "or the same character" instead of "of the same character".
CREATURE FAN

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 09:58:16 AM »
Morris Ankrum(8/28/1887-9/02/1964)

Reliable character actor who appeared in many films and television Westerns throughout his career. He usually appeared in the horror/sci-fi category as a military officer or professor of something. Has quite and impressive list of sci-fi films from the 1950's.

Films:

Rocketship X-M(1951)
Flight To Mars(1951)
Red Planet Mars(1952)
Invaders From Mars(1953)
Earth vs the Flying Saucers(1956)
Zombies Of Mora Tau(1957)
Kronos(1957)
The Giant Claw(1957)
Beginning Of the End(1957)
Giant From the Unknown(1958)
How To Make A Monster(1958)
Curse Of the Faceless Man(1958)- narrator
From Earth To the Moon(1958)
Half-Human(1958)
Most Dangerous Man Alive(1961)
Tower Of London(1962)
X-The Man With the X-Ray Eyes(1963)
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 10:19:31 AM »
Robert Shayne(10/04/1900-11/29/1992)

Actor most well-known for playing Inspector Henderson in the ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN tv series of the 1950's, Shayne had a career beginning in the '30's and spanned decades ending just before his death in the 1990's. Usually playing doctors or authority figures, he featured in everything from crime dramas, westerns, mysteries, horror, sci-fi and adventure films during his time.

Films:

Face Of Marble(1946)
Behind the Mask(1946)
Invaders From Mars(1953)
The Neanderthal Man(1953)
The Indestructible Man(1956)
Kronos(1957)
The Giant Claw(1957)
Spook Chasers(1957)
War Of the Satellites(1958)
Teenage Caveman(1958)
How To Make A Monster(1958)
The Lost Missile(1958)

Earth 2 Chris

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 12:40:04 PM »
Nice list! I can't help it. I always think of Mentor on Shazam! when I think of Les Treymane.

Chris

ChristineBCW

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 08:42:41 AM »
Robert Shayne is one of my pencil-thin mustache actors - handsome enough to be a leading actor, but seems to have been stuck doing Shorts for most of the '30s and then was slotted into B's and Westerns as a 2nd or 3rd fellow.   FACE OF MARBLE is a good example - he's working as John Carradine's lab assistant and fills in the 'attention getting void' of Carradine's wife.  Kind of dangerous because Carradine's working on bringing the dead back to life.   Plus there's an old housekeeper who knows all, sees all, and also capable of voodoo.   That chiseled, stony good looks on Shayne turns out to be something of a, uh, curse for him. 

I suppose his career ultimately comes down to his first studio or two, and then those collapsed and he joined with the beginnings of TV.

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 12:25:28 PM »
George Macready(8/29/1899-7/2/1973)

An actor known just as much for his distinctive voice as his appearance(including prominent scar on his right cheek), he appeared in several notable genre films during his career, as well as such series as THRILLER and THE OUTER LIMITS.

Films:

Soul Of A Monster(1944)
I Love A Mystery(1945)
The Monster and the Ape(1945)
The Alligator People(1959)
The Human Duplicators(1965)
Night Gallery(1969)
Daughter Of the Mind(1969)
The Return Of Count Yorga(1971)

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 01:14:13 PM »
Ed Nelson(12/21/1928-8/9/2014)

If his face seems familiar, it's because he was very busy during the '60's-70's guest- starring in almost any type of show on television during those years..he started off as one of Roger Corman's reliable faces for his films back in the 1950's and gradually branched out into tv episodes. Quite an impressive credits list on television alone with work on such genre series as THRILLER, TWILIGHT ZONE, ALFRED HITCHCOCK, THE OUTER LIMITS, NIGHT GALLERY, THE SIXTH SENSE, THE BIONIC WOMAN, THE GEMINI MAN and LOGAN'S RUN.

Films:

Attack Of the Crab Monsters(1957)
Invasion Of the Saucer Men(1957)
Teenage Caveman(1958)
She-Gods Of Shark Reef(1958)
Night Of the Blood Beast(1958)
The Brain Eaters(1958)
A Bucket Of Blood(1959)
The Devil's Partner(1961)