Curse of the Werewolf Megostyle Twin Pack

Started by Spock, November 12, 2015, 10:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anton Phibes

In his product description, Martin states he believes this will be gone by the next full moon. If it take that long for this to sell out I will be surprised. Hammer seems to do better for Martin than anything else.

Mord

This little beauty is GONE!!!! That's quite an achievement for a double pack with a higher edition size. Once again, happy anniversary Martin. Congratulations!

Anton Phibes

This proves is the demand for Hammer Products is still very much alive. So--revisiting a popular/lucrative character from time to time shouldnt be an issue. Glad I got mine, and didnt miss out this time. :angel:

Mord

Quote from: Anton Phibes on November 15, 2015, 07:19:22 PM
This proves is the demand for Hammer Products is still very much alive. So--revisiting a popular/lucrative character from time to time shouldnt be an issue. Glad I got mine, and didnt miss out this time. :angel:
Character...yes, but hopefully from a different movie or with a different look. The Hammer Universe is so vast and Martin has barely reached the tip of the iceberg.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Mord on November 15, 2015, 07:42:33 PM
Character...yes, but hopefully from a different movie or with a different look. The Hammer Universe is so vast and Martin has barely reached the tip of the iceberg.

In this scale I would certainly like

Gorgon
Reptile
Lom Phantom
Golden Vampire
Gina (Brides of Dracula)
Dracula and Van Helsing from AD 72 (a guilty pleasure)
Evil of Frankenstein

jimm

Mord

Quote from: Anton Phibes on November 15, 2015, 08:05:53 PM
In this scale I would certainly like

Dracula and Van Helsing from AD 72 (a guilty pleasure)
Lose the guilt, it's just a pleasure.

Mord

Quote from: jimm on November 15, 2015, 08:24:08 PM
Dracula / Van Helsing two pack next!
See, that's exactly what I'm fearing...a cavalcade of redo/revisits To completely drain the specialness of this line.

jimm

Understandable concern, but in these limited qtys do you think it will matter?

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Mord on November 15, 2015, 08:38:57 PM

See, that's exactly what I'm fearing...a cavalcade of redo/revisits To completely drain the specialness of this line.

Never fear. There is still plenty of untouched monster territory coming from DD in the pipeline. Just look at the back of the cards in figures he has begun waves on. Thats a lot of figures coming. I have confidence in Martin's unique skill set in this arena. Deep breaths. Besides...I have to have Van Hesling in his way cool mod vampire slayer outfit and Dracula with his wild hippy dippy hair from AD 72 eventually,lol. :angel: :angel:

Mord

Quote from: Anton Phibes on November 15, 2015, 09:53:53 PM
Never fear. There is still plenty of untouched monster territory coming from DD in the pipeline. Just look at the back of the cards in figures he has begun waves on. Thats a lot of figures coming. I have confidence in Martin's unique skill set in this arena. Deep breaths. Besides...I have to have Van Hesling in his way cool mod vampire slayer outfit and Dracula with his wild hippy dippy hair from AD 72 eventually,lol. :angel: :angel:
Oh, yeah, no problem with that. Different era, different film...that's fine. I just don't like redoing figures that have already been done (Martin vowed not to in the past).
Quote from: jimm on November 15, 2015, 09:49:37 PM
Understandable concern, but in these limited qtys do you think it will matter?

It does if you're in for the long haul. It's like missing out on a rare baseball card in a series that has become red hot. Then the card company says "Don't worry, Johnny-come-latelys, we'll just make more...maybe slightly different". It ruins the integrity of the line, and the company.

Spock

Interesting comments.  I think having a total new sculpt, coupling it with a different figure and creating totally new box art constitutes more than making things slightly different. Mord, how many Karloff Frankenstein or Mummy do you own? And I am sure you and many others would want more if I go back through the posts. So what is different about me doing another Van Helsing or COTW or COF. I know for a fact I could just have easily used the old sculpt on the twin pack and sold  just as many, and still not damaged the integrity of the official line. As it happens I always wanted Steve Thompson Werewolf and now I have one along with 74 other lucky folk.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Spock on November 16, 2015, 12:40:57 AM
Interesting comments.  I think having a total new sculpt, coupling it with a different figure and creating totally new box art constitutes more than making things slightly different. Mord, how many Karloff Frankenstein or Mummy do you own? And I am sure you and many others would want more if I go back through the posts. So what is different about me doing another Van Helsing or COTW or COF. I know for a fact I could just have easily used the old sculpt on the twin pack and sold  just as many, and still not damaged the integrity of the official line. As it happens I always wanted Steve Thompson Werewolf and now I have one along with 74 other lucky folk.

I have the original Van Helsing (and thanks to you, Martin, the candlesticks,lol). I would buy a new Van Helsing if it were from a different film. I plan to have the original COF and HOD mego figures. I would still like the re-visits to be in my collection also. I am glad you arent just re-using old sculpts. New sculpts, new art, etc make for an all new package.

How many times did Bowen do Wolverine or Hulk....all part of the same series, and all sought after well after the fact on the secondary market.

Bowen Wolverines:

Thats alotta Wolverines....and I dunno if thats even all of them. I, myself, have one Wolverine statue and one bust due to space issues....and because I dont have to have everything of everything.  I don't think there is any controversy. The originals are never going to be "re-released". But the characters being re-visited with different looks from different films isn't bothersome to me. Unless I am hoping Martin stops making characters I like so I can quit being tempted,lol.

Mord

Quote from: Spock on November 16, 2015, 12:40:57 AM
I have all the Karloff Frankensteins I need for now. I got all three 12"ers from Sideshow (different looks, different movies). I have both SS Mummys (bandaged & Aedeth Bey), but they're completely different. I wouldn't want another bandaged Karloff one in the same series. Why would I? Now, if another company did their take on it, that's a different story. If Sideshow did them again, no thanks. I have no problem with COF in bandages or wounded head (as long as they weren't back to back). But re-sculpting an already well-sculpted figure is redundant. The Werewolf set looks great and I'm glad I got one. But doing 2paks of characters that have already been done to perfection (from the exact same movies with a slightly different sculpt and the same clothing) is just repetition. I totally understand redoing the 12"ers since DD hadn't perfected their craft yet. They could be 12 and a half inches and feature more actor accurate likenesses. The 8"ers already released are absolute perfection. Move on to other deserving characters. You'll sell out of them anyway.

Mord

Btw, you definitely could have used the old sculpt on the new two pack and sold just as many. True. But, it would DEFINITELY effect the integrity of the original line. First of all, it would be a slap in the face to the loyal customers who supported you from the beginning by buying the originals. Not only would it indicate that the numbered edition size means nothing, but we would wind up paying $150 to get the Leon figure (since we already bought the original).