Author Topic: Gold Key and ERB  (Read 3292 times)

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
  • "The Monster was the best friend I ever had."
Gold Key and ERB
« on: December 15, 2007, 07:57:11 PM »
Are there ERB fans out there?  Got any of the Edgar Rice Burroughs comics put out by Gold Key?  This Tarzan is from '67 and the Korak is 1971.  Tarzan artist (inside) is Russ Manning.  Anyone know who did the covers for these?

There's an ERB collection of sorts in Louisville KY (where Wonderfest takes place)--in a library, maybe.  I wonder if the collection is viewable by the public?  Gotta investigate! 
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

MDG

• Sergeant
Re: Gold Key and ERB
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »
George Wilson did many of the Gold Key painted covers, but I don't know for sure on these two.

MDG
MDG

Wich2

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 09:21:11 PM »
My vote, too, MDG.

Wilson did great gouts of paintings for Western, as well as many wonderful pb's (including the Falk PHANTOM.) The screaming woman on the left hand cover looks very like his work.

I am not a major Barsoomian, Robert, but I like The Lord of the Jungle. Manning is fun, and I've even learned to appreciate the rough-hewn power of Jesse Marsh...

...but for me, the REAL King of the Apes is Joe Kubert's, from the DC run:

Merriest,
-Craig W.

packy120353

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 10:23:29 PM »
First in line, top bookshelf! (hope this works)

Some of those old Aces have Frazetta covers.
There's a GREAT weekly ERBzine also available
http://www.erbzine.com/mag/

pk (Goro is afraid tonight)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 08:13:03 PM by Mike Scott »

packy120353

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 10:26:03 PM »
Hrrrm...it didn't quite work..ok so how do ya post pics???

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 01:15:19 AM »
Paul,
Great collection of TARZAN.  I remember having a couple of those Frazetta cover ones.  Didn't Vallejo also do a few?  Or did he do only CONAN's?

As to posting pics...have a jpg, and copy it (so that you can paste).  When you go to make a New Post or a Reply, you'll see above the blank "writing area" 2 rows of square buttons...the 2nd from the left in the 2nd row is the "Insert Image" one.  Click it, and it appears in the body of your post.  It has a flashing vertical line in it.  PASTE your jpg, and it will slip right into that space, and the photo should magically appear...look at PREVIEW to make sure.  It has to be a jpg, as I understand it.  I'm not a computer expert, but this is how I did mine.
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

packy120353

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 09:03:42 AM »
testing 1 2 3

Thanks Robert -  :)

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 03:06:57 PM »
Ya know, Paul, I went to school with a kid who was raised by microbes.  It's a darn small world when you get down to it. 
Robert in Ohio

• Corporal
  • Misunderstood Monster
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 07:26:16 PM »
I have the tarzan comic on the left somewhere,  I used to buy every Gold Key comic I saw in the used bookstore I haunted as a kid. I was especially fascinated with the Boris Karloff and Twilight Zone comics.

Scary Terry

• Sergeant
    • Scary Terry's World
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 11:59:55 PM »
Here's info on the ERB collection at the University of Louisville , cribbed from the U's website.  I visited it after a Wonderfest a few years back and really enjoyed it....

The Edgar Rice Burroughs Memorial Collection

A few words about the collection from the curator, George T. McWhorter:
EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS (1875-1950) was one of the most imaginative and prolific of 20th century authors, often called "The Grandfather of American Science Fiction." The Burroughs Memorial Collection at the University of Louisville is a gift from curator George T. McWhorter to honor his late mother who taught him how to read at pre-school age with the books of Edgar Rice Burroughs. The collection contains over 100,000 items in all categories of the author's life and works. His literary output includes 63 full-length novels, 21 short stories, and 26 literary sketches, collected and published in 75 first editions. During his lifetime, 100 versions of his stories were published in pulp magazines, many under different titles from the hardback editions.

The newspaper serials began in 1913, the Tarzan movies in 1918, the daily newspaper strips in 1928, the Sunday Tarzan pages in 1931, the radio shows in 1932, the comic books in 1936, the fan club publications in 1947, and the TV shows in 1966. During that time, Tarzan collectibles such as knives, bows & arrows, belt buckles, watches, glue, figurines, candy, bread, pop-ups, Big-Little-Books, coloring books, costumes, and many other categories of merchandising have appeared on the market in the USA and abroad.

The Burroughs Memorial Collection contains all first editions in dust jackets, as well as reprints in 35 languages, pulps, comics, newspapers and extensive periodical files, clippings and scrapbooks, toys and games, biography and bibliography, including the working papers of Irwin Porges and Erling B. Holtsmark, and a reference collection of films, filmstills and scripts, original art and sculpture, posters, correspondence and memorabilia. For further information, call (502) 852-8729 or (502) 6752; FAX: 502-852-8734; email: George T. Mcwhorter:  george.mcwhorter(*at*)louisville.edu

The collection is open to visitors Monday-Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with other times by special appointment.

Edgar Rice Burroughs Memorial Collection
Special Collections, Ekstrom Library
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY

Gary D Macabre

• Corporal
  • The voices in my head... well they don't like you.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 12:26:11 AM »
I have a couple Karloff comics here I'll have to find them.
Gary D. Macabre
Phantom of the UMA lounge

Wich2

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 11:42:31 AM »
Dear Terry-

Fun story!

George at the ERB is a great guy...

Had occasion to speak with him a few years back, and we really hit it off when it came up that a big part of his previous life was singing at New York City Opera, where The Wife has slaved for years!

Merriest,
-Craig W.

P.S.- Ten Tarmangani Points to the person who can I.D. the genre classic actor who also sang at NYCO...

mjbare

• Private First Class
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 12:14:05 PM »
I'm a Tarzan fan from the days there used to be a Saturday afternoon Tarzan show on TV like Shock Theaters did for the UMs. My favorite is Weismuller of course but I've come to like Bruce Bennett too. With Netflixs, I've rented some of the other Tarzans but still shiver in joy when I hear Johnny's call.

I collected all 24 paperbacks when they were first re-released in the 1960's/70's along with #25 which was the novelization of Tarzan and the Valley of Gold Mike Henry movie. I think I still have the Gold Keys, especially the novel adaptations and they're all in comic protectors but up in the rafters of the garage. I'll have to get them down someday.

Michael
Tish, you spoke French!!  You know it drives me wild when you spead French!!!

roddmatsui

• Private First Class
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 12:46:23 PM »
Never had any Tarzan comics, but in the 70's I was reading other Gold Key titles intermittently, like Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery, Grimm's Ghost Stories, and Ripley's Believe It Or Not. 

Gold Key's supernatural titles had a certain mystique that Marvel and DC comics didn't have...their beautiful cover paintings had a lot to do with that mystique!  Some really gorgeous stuff.