Author Topic: PAUL NASCHY  (Read 20709 times)

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
Re: PAUL NASCHY
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2015, 10:40:40 AM »
You are correct, sir. There are a large number of Naschy fans. I didn't mean to come off as sounding defensive even if one outraged member did refer to Naschy as a "3rd rate idiot".  :laugh: I just meant that I make no apologies for loving Senor Naschy's work and I plan to discuss his wonderfully creative films for quite some time. I sincerely hope that anyone and everyone with an appreciation for anything related to Paul Naschy will join in so that we can all have fun and celebrate this subgenre together.

I'm with you, I'm sick of the soulless big budget CGI action-fests. If I want to play a video game I'll throw Skyrim on the PS3 and have at it. When I want to watch a fun movie I'll enter one of the cool fantasy worlds of Horror..maybe Eurohorror...maybe Spanish Horror...and maybe the Naschyverse. I've been listening to a podcast called NaschyCast recently, and I've been tracking down some of the elusive films mentioned on there and really enjoying the creative heart and soul put into these productions. Those films may be cheaply made, but I get a wealth of enjoyment out of watching them. I, too, "love this simpler stuff much more".

I find the Eurohorror films of the 1970's to be one of more appealing genres of the horror film. The stories were at least a bit more creative than the stuff that Hammer and AIP were churning out at the time and every film had some fantastic ladies to look at. Paul Naschy and Amando De Ossrio kept the flame burning in foreign horror cinema when others were letting it die. I spent a month last summer watching horrors from Spain in the '70's and found it to be one of the most enjoyable times since first discovering the joys of the Universal horrors and early Hammer classics from the golden age. I think a lot more people might be delighted to experience Naschy, et al if exposed to some of the better films of his work.
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 12:45:41 PM »
I think a lot more people might be delighted to experience Naschy, et al if exposed to some of the better films of his work.
True.

Much of the problem lies with the diminished quality of the versions we have available for many of those films. Goofy English dubs, sourced from chopped up poor quality prints sometimes missing sections of content because some censor was afraid someone would see a naked breast, or just simple unavailability, all contribute to the poor estimation some people have of these films.

It reminds me of some of the other foreign subgenres, like Japanese and Mexican Horror/Sci-Fi. Before we got good DVD representations of things like Gojira and Curse Of The Crying Woman these type movies seemed like juvenile second rate fare. But now that we can see some of them in their original form with good English subs, instead of those sometimes ridiculous English dubs, we can enjoy them for the high quality fantasy/monster movies they really are.

The BCI/Deimos discs present the few Spanish Horror films they actually got to before halting in excellent quality. Maybe some other company will pick up where BCI left off and do the rest of them justice. Kino Lorber or Severin might be up to the task. We can only hope.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2015, 10:36:40 AM »
Got my copies of NIGHT OF THE HOWLING BEAST(two-disc edition) and THE MUMMY'S REVENGE from the CultAction website last night and watched them both early this am. Great presentation and really nice display boxes made these a pleasure to add to my Eurohorror collection. I will be ordering other films from them in the near future.

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »
Good website for Naschy fans:

http://www.naschy.com/

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2015, 01:28:23 PM »
The Hunchback Of The Morgue (1973) is a beautifully twisted masterpiece of horror. With story/screenplay by Naschy and direction/screenplay by Javier Aguirre it excellently takes us into some forbidden wonderful places. The story reminds me of some of the very best tales one might find in a Warren or Skywald monster mag of that magic time for horror- the early '70s.

Naschy plays Gotho, a ridiculed childlike hunchback who can turn vicious in a heartbeat. He falls in love with a sick girl named Ilse and she dies. When two abusive morgue workers call her corpse a "coldcut" and attempt to steal her necklace then Gotho just totally loses it and goes full on axe murderer on these two assh*les. He takes Ilse's corpse into the centuries old tunnels under the ruined abbey to hide from the police. These tunnels were used during the Inquisition and are full of cells and torture devices, as well as vicious rats. Naschy had to be inoculated against rabies because in one scene where torch wielding  Gotho battles the rats over Ilse's corpse they were jumping all over him. Some of the rats were really set on fire which is hard to watch, but this film pulls no punches. Gotho goes to Prof. Orla hoping he can re-animate Ilse and when Orla sees the hidden tunnels he move his illegal experiments into them with Gotho's help. After a smorgasbord of corpserobbing, kidnapping, murder, and just all around nasty activities Orla has succeeded in creating an artificial life form he calls a Primordial. Starting out as a blob, it takes on a humanoid form from devouring all of those victims Orla has been feeding it. We don't know if it is an example of a Lovecraftian Primordial or if Orla is just mad scientist batsh*t crazy but either way it's a helluva monster. There is a great finale with some glorious carnage. I love this film and give it a 8/10.

I only have the Sinister Cinema DVD which runs 82 minutes and is obviously missing some of the nude bits, like the sex scene between Rosanna Yanni's character Elke and the hunchback (Naschy gets the hottie even as a grotesque hunchback  :laugh:). According to IMDb the full runtime should be 87 minutes. It's also the English dub which is problematic. Some of the night scenes are very dark, almost impossible to make out. There was a DVD release from Mya Communications not long ago which is OOP and pricey but from what I've heard it has several problems which render it not much of an upgrade at all. I just hope some company releases a good DVD (or better yet Blu-ray) of this film with everything restored in the Spanish language version with English subtitles. The more I get into these movies the more frustrating it is as to how they have been mucked up over the years. Censors and bad dubs are a film's worst enemies.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 06:03:57 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2015, 09:00:30 AM »
Blue Eyes Of the Broken Doll(aka House Of Psychotic Women)

This is an unusual film for Naschy when compared with most of his other outings. He is a criminal looking for work when he comes upon a mansion with a group of sisters in need of a caretaker. All of the women have some sort of mental hangup of some kind and on top of this, there is a psycho killer on the loose in the area; one that removes the eyes from the victims. Quite a bit of gore goes along with the psychological twists in this film, adding to the enjoyablitiy factor. The ladies are all very attractive and the male characters all seem to have an agenda to figure out.
The revelation at the conclusion certainly adds to the creepiness level in this one. Good stuff all around from this era!

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 12:14:53 AM »
Blue Eyes Of the Broken Doll(aka House Of Psychotic Women)

This is an unusual film for Naschy when compared with most of his other outings. He is a criminal looking for work when he comes upon a mansion with a group of sisters in need of a caretaker. All of the women have some sort of mental hangup of some kind and on top of this, there is a psycho killer on the loose in the area; one that removes the eyes from the victims. Quite a bit of gore goes along with the psychological twists in this film, adding to the enjoyablitiy factor. The ladies are all very attractive and the male characters all seem to have an agenda to figure out.
The revelation at the conclusion certainly adds to the creepiness level in this one. Good stuff all around from this era!

Yep, I'm definitely a fan of Blue Eyes Of The Broken Doll (1974) as well. It's a fun thriller, sort of a Spanish giallo. With Diana Lorys, Maria Perschy, and Eva Leon, the female comeliness factor is considerable. And, of course, Naschy gets more than his share (hey, it's good to be the screenwriter AND the lead actor  ;)). Good payoff at the end too. It gets a 7/10 from me.

BCI/Deimos released the DVD to have. It's paired with Human Beasts which is another cool Naschy film made a few years later during his more bitter period.

I like much of Naschy's later work, but that period from Werewolf Shadow (1971) to Night Of The Howling Beast (1975) contains my favorite Naschy films.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:19:20 AM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 09:12:45 AM »
Yep, I'm definitely a fan of Blue Eyes Of The Broken Doll (1974) as well. It's a fun thriller, sort of a Spanish giallo. With Diana Lorys, Maria Perschy, and Eva Leon, the female comeliness factor is considerable.

I like much of Naschy's later work, but that period from Werewolf Shadow (1971) to Night Of The Howling Beast (1975) contains my favorite Naschy films.

I think I would have to say that the babes in most of the Naschy/Amando De Ossorio Spanish horrors from the early '70's are probably the most gorgeous women to appear in horror films at any time really. They are stunning, both nude and clothed simply put.

I would have to say my favorite Naschy's are: FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR, ASSIGNMENT TERROR, WEREWOLF SHADOW, HORROR RISES FROM THE TOMB, DRACULA'S GREAT LOVE, THE HANGING WOMAN, THE MUMMY'S REVENGE and BLUE EYES OF THE BROKEN DOLL.

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »
I think I would have to say that the babes in most of the Naschy/Amando De Ossorio Spanish horrors from the early '70's are probably the most gorgeous women to appear in horror films at any time really. They are stunning, both nude and clothed simply put.
Yeah, I may have to go full on Naschy babe co-stars in this thread at some point. It will necessitate some careful photo choices lest I be accused of the dreaded envelope pushing...again.  ;D
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2015, 03:17:34 PM »
Yeah, I may have to go full on Naschy babe co-stars in this thread at some point. It will necessitate some careful photo choices lest I be accused of the dreaded envelope pushing...again.  ;D

I say go for it! I'm sure most of the members wont mind some real eye-candy. :)

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 09:58:45 PM »
I say go for it! I'm sure most of the members wont mind some real eye-candy. :)

I must tread lightly. I posted this pic of gorgeous Linda Blair over in the Masks and Busts forum a few days ago and some poor old dude nearly had a heart attack.  :D

And, I gotta be careful the UMA Popo don't layeth the smacketh down on my candy &$$C:)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2015, 07:32:58 AM »
I must tread lightly. I posted this pic of gorgeous Linda Blair over in the Masks and Busts forum a few days ago and some poor old dude nearly had a heart attack.  :D

And, I gotta be careful the UMA Popo don't layeth the smacketh down on my candy &$$C:)

One man's smut is usually most men's art.. ;)

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2015, 03:45:21 PM »
This short documentary is included as a special feature on the excellent Troma DVD presentation of The Hanging Woman. It sums up Naschy's career in a fun and informative way.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2015, 01:43:56 PM »
Count Dracula's Great Love (1973) (aka Cemetery Girls, and many others)

I have mixed feelings on this film. It is well directed by Javier Aguirre. It has beautiful atmosphere and eye candy  ;). I think the problem lies with the rather cumbersome plot. Dracula poses as Dr. Wendell Marlowe and takes in some stranded guests which include Naschyverse Babe mainstays Rosanna Yanni and Mirta Miller, as well as Haydee Politoff, Ingrid Garbo, and Vic Winner (Victor Alcazar). Well, a lurking vampirized delivery dude infects Imre (Vic Winner) who infects Ingrid Garbo's character who infects...well you get the idea. Pretty soon everybody except for the virginal Haydee Politoff is toothy and thirsty. Dracula drops his guise as Marlowe and begins to enact his plan to resurrect his daughter using virginal blood, but he changes his mind at the last moment and has her coffin cast upon the water so he can exist with the virgin he has fallen in love with. The catch is that she refuses to renounce her humanity so, overcome with grief, he plunges a stake into his own heart destroying himself. This story was written by Naschy but may have suffered revisions during shooting. It just doesn't work for me. But, the girls are pretty and there is come cool gothic vampire action. It's a 6/10 as far as I'm concerned.

I have the Elvira's Movie Macabre DVD version from Shout Factory which weighs in at 83 minutes. It has all the naughty bits as far as I know and the print is watchable. It suffers from the English dubbing which no doubt makes the plot seem even more troublesome than it actually is. I also have the Sinister Cinema version which is the same. There are other versions out there, including the heavily cut version. As far as I know there is no really good DVD release. BCI/Deimos had planned what would have been an excellent release but folded before it was done. Damnit!...again.

You can watch the entire film here:

Warning! Do NOT watch if naked boobies get your panties in a wad.  :o  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:02:20 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2015, 02:03:50 PM »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...