Author Topic: PAUL NASCHY  (Read 20710 times)

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
Re: PAUL NASCHY
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 10:23:19 PM »
WEREWOLF SHADOW(1972)

Certainly one of , if not the best of Naschy's outings as the Werewolf. Lovely ladies, great cast and vampire action make this one of the must-sees in the series. It's worth it to get the film as restored as Werewolf Shadow rather than the rather choppy version entitled THE WEREWOLF VS THE VAMPIRE WOMAN for US markets.

Werewolf Shadow (aka The Werewolf Vs The Vampire Woman) is the flagship of Naschy films. This is the one that made Naschy an international star and cult favorite. Director Leon Klimovsky really knocked it out of the park on this one. His use of macabre ambience and slow motion for the frolicking vampire hotties is excellent. Patty Shepard is very good as Countess Wandessa Nadasdy and even the fight scene between her and the Daninsky Werewolf come off pretty good.

The BCI DVD is the one to have as it has both the uncut Werewolf Shadow version in a good clear print as well as a copy of the PD The Werewolf Vs. The Vampire Woman version that played in the US back in the '70s. The Werewolf Shadow version is far superior with all of the gore and nudity intact. The BCI DVD is OOP but is still pretty affordable. Anyone interested in it should pick one up soon because over time those secondary market prices can get away from you.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:07:09 AM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

geezer butler

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 12:43:46 AM »
Great thread. I'm getting spoiled with blu-rays now. So I wish someone would remaster the Naschy films and put them out at an affordable price.

Type3Toys

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 01:33:55 PM »
Curse of the Devil and Frankenstien's Bloody Terror are my favorites!

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 09:36:45 PM »
I drew a Werewolf Shadow backing card overlay for my Distinctive Dummies Waldemar Daninsky figure.  ;)

Before:

After:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 09:51:46 PM »
That's really cool.

neonnoodle

• Sergeant
  • Horror Express
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 09:55:06 PM »
Ah loves me some Naschy.  I have the Werewolf vs. Vampire Woman novelization, which I recommend as a great read to all the folks here, even though, ahem, its story completely disregards the script of the film.  :)
Beautiful moving, shifting colors!

See TRANSLUCE: Rainbow Meditation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aqIhYI_Q

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 09:56:16 PM »
That's really cool.
Thanks, Anton.

If anyone wants to print out the scan to use on their Naschy figure then have at it.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 10:44:47 PM »
I'm watching my Naschy flicks again in chronological order and I came to Werewolf Shadow (1971) last night. I decided to watch The Werewolf Vs. The Vampire Woman first followed by Werewolf Shadow to see how they compare exactly. I viewed the BCI/Deimos DVD which is from a really great print of Werewolf Shadow. The copy of TWVTVW on that disc as an extra is the crappy PD one. Anyway, it was very enlightening. WS is a little over 8 minutes longer than TWVTVW and has all of the gore and nudity present, as well as a very intelligent script and excellent characters. I watched the Spanish language version with English subs and the plot was crystal clear, as well as the character's motivations. The English dubbing on TWVTVW is really terrible and makes some of the characters seem unintelligent or downright weird. An example is when Pierre is driving Elvira to the village and he seems like a weird horndog. In WS it's made clear that Pierre wasn't hitting on Elvira at all, and later when he abducts her he is under Wandesa's control. I love TWVTVW because it has a nostalgic charm and it's still a damn good horror movie even with the clunky dialogue and missing scenes, but it's Werewolf Shadow that really shines here. I think Werewolf Shadow is one of the best horror movies in existence and I give it a 9/10. The Werewolf Vs. The Vampire Woman is still lots of fun but it gets a (still very good) 7/10 from me. I think Werewolf Shadow is the best Naschy film (with some stiff competition) and I'm so glad that Senor Naschy finally got the credit he deserved for this cinematic masterpiece for being such a great creative force in film.

If you're lookin' in on us somehow Paul Naschy, we love you, man.

Belgium Poster for Werewolf Shadow:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 02:43:57 PM »
Dr. Jekyll And The Werewolf (1972) is one of Naschy's best. Jack Taylor is Dr. Jekyll who tries to cure Daninsky of his lycanthropy by injecting him with the Hyde serum. The plan is to let Daninsky's "Hyde" win out over the werewolf thus destroying that aspect of Daninsky then inject him with the antidote to the Hyde serum. But, mean old ultra hot Mirta Miller stabs Jekyll before the process is finished and Daninsky's "Hyde" AND werewolf run rampant in '70s swingin' London. Shirley Corrigan provides additional eye candy. The scenes of Daninsky turning wolfy in the elevator and the turtlenecked werewolf in the disco are classics. I give it a 8/10 and if I were doing fractions it would be 8 1/2.

The Code Red DVD double feature of this film and The Vampire's Night Orgy is sourced from a good print of DJATW and a passable print of TVNO. Both have all the naughty bits and are the English dub. It went OOP quick and it might be pricey if you can scare one up. Dr. Jekyll And The Werewolf is PD and that version is common on some of the compilations like the ones from Mill Creek, but the PD version is missing chunks and the picture quality is poor. The Sinister Cinema version has the naughty bits but Code Red is the way to go if possible.

BTW, Naschy's Mr. Hyde is coolly iconic in Eurohorror and if Distinctive Dummies does a Naschy series the Mr. Hyde character is a no-brainer.

I watched the Code Red DVD double feature last night and was a little surprised at how mucked up the print used for The Vampire's Night Orgy is, especially at the beginning of the film. At least it's all there though. Dr. Jekyll And The Werewolf looks pretty good. Both are the English dub which is prone to slightly goofy dialogue at times. This DVD is the best available for the films that I know of. Both films are PD and show up on PD compilation sets, as well as gray market offerings, in various states of disrepair. DJATW is on the big 200 movie Horror set from Mill Creek and it's missing several minutes of footage (and not just the nude bits). TVNO from Sinister Cinema that I have is missing the freakin' TITLE OF THE MOVIE! I bought it several years ago on one of their Drive-In Double Feature VHS and it was awhile before I even found out the name of the film since I hadn't yet gotten heavily into Eurohorror. I checked yesterday on the availability of the Code Red DVD and there was no sign of it on eBay or Amazon. Good luck tracking one down. Now here's the standard lament: It's too bad BCI's Spanish Horror DVDs halted production because remastered original Spanish language copies of these films with English subs and special features would be wonderful.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:42:46 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2015, 02:03:09 PM »
Curse Of The Devil (1973) (original title El Retorno De Walpurgis) is another good Naschy Daninsky flick from the golden age of Spanish Horror (early to mid '70s). It's a loose sequel to Werewolf Shadow. None of these Naschy Werewolf films follow exact continuity. It seems Naschy was constantly rethinking the origin of El Hombre Lobo. However, Waldemar Daninsky was constantly a tragic hero doomed to seek to destroy his cursed existence. The character was inspired by Larry Talbot, Universal's famed Wolfman. Naschy was quite taken with Lon Chaney Jr. and his lycanthropic alter ego, especially from Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, and Waldemar Daninsky was an extension of Talbot. But, Daninsky was a real badass chick magnet where Talbot was just a good guy who became an unfortunate victim of fate.

In Curse Of The Devil Irineus Daninsky (Naschy) wipes out the Devil worshipping Bathory family four centuries ago and the Daninsky family falls under a curse from Elizabeth Bathory as she is put to death. Flash to current times- Waldemar Daninsky shoots a gypsy and falls under a direct continuance of the ancient curse by a gypsy witch. The beautiful gypsy girl Ilona is sent to carry out the ritual on Waldemar with blood and wolf skull. Waldemar becomes El Hombe Lobo and he falls in love with a girl named Kinga who eventually ends up destroying him to end the curse. Carlos Aured directs this very good film but it fails to recapture the magic of Werewolf Shadow in my opinion. Also, I don't like the werewolf makeup as good in this film as in previous Daninsky pictures. Those teeth are just too clean and the little wolfy ears are a bit like those of a teddy bear. I give it a 7/10.

Thankfully BCI/Deimos released a great DVD for this film featuring a clear print of the original Spanish language version with all of the nude bits put back in and good English subs. It runs 81 minutes which actually coincides with the uncut runtime listed on IMDb. Sometimes the IMDb info is suspect, especially runtimes. It came in a double feature with Werewolf Shadow. I have the version where both discs came in a double DVD case, but evidently it was also issued in two separate DVD cases shrinkwrapped together which is the way I bought my copies of the BCI/Deimos DVD releases of The Night Of The Werewolf and Vengeace Of The Zombies.

I realize this thread covers a subject which isn't of interest to most monster fans but I enjoy Naschy's work and I'm gonna keep on keepin' on. I've never pandered to the masses and I follow my own path, so if this isn't your cup of tea then feel free to ignore it. I believe there are a few Naschy fans out there in cyberspace who may find some of this enjoyable and maybe even enlightening. If you are one of those people then I'm doing this for you...and, like I said, I really enjoy Eurohorror in general and Naschy in particular.

cl:)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

scarey1scd

• Corporal
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2015, 08:53:33 PM »
Man Ive gotta get a copy of Frankensteins Bloody Terror. I bought the original movie poster of it because I thought it looked so bada$$, which goes against my personal conviction ( or OCD ) of having to see the movie before hanging the poster. Kinda like wearing the Harley Davidson shirt but not owning a bike.
Pass the marmalade

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2015, 09:23:30 PM »
Man Ive gotta get a copy of Frankensteins Bloody Terror. I bought the original movie poster of it because I thought it looked so bada$$, which goes against my personal conviction ( or OCD ) of having to see the movie before hanging the poster. Kinda like wearing the Harley Davidson shirt but not owning a bike.

That's the one that kicked off the Spanish Horror boom, and the first appearance of Waldemar Daninsky. It began as The Mark Of The Wolfman in Spain, and when Independent International needed a Frankenstein movie because of prior commitments then Sam Sherman retitled it Frankenstein's Bloody Terror and added that silly (but fun) bit at the beginning to attempt an explanation. It really does kick ass though.

The Shriek Show (Media Blasters) DVD is the only official release and it's OOP and pricey. New ones currently sell for around 65 bucks, but if you're patient and wait for an evilBay auction with a reasonable minimum bid you might score one a LOT cheaper. I waited for an auction and got a new sealed copy of the Troma OOP DVD of The Hanging Woman for 20 bucks, and it's one of those normally expensive ones.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

neonnoodle

• Sergeant
  • Horror Express
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 10:46:33 PM »
I realize this thread covers a subject which isn't of interest to most monster fans but I enjoy Naschy's work and I'm gonna keep on keepin' on. I've never pandered to the masses and I follow my own path, so if this isn't your cup of tea then feel free to ignore it.
 cl:)

Actually, Naschy's fan base just seems to keep expanding.  And there's a lot of Naschy fans in here, it looks like.  Many of his 70's films are at least minor classics, and have those "good old basic meat and potatoes horror" story elements.

I used to think of Naschy as one of those actors that showed up in those cozy, cheesy movies that would play late at night on weekends, along with those John Ashley Filipino flicks-----my favorite kind of stuff--but at the time I viewed it as second-shelf material, like an off-brand hot dog.  The years have improved a lot of these films, and I become fonder of them.  Especially now--I am largely unimpressed with most current films with their flashy but empty multimillion-dollar productions.  I love this simpler stuff much more.
Beautiful moving, shifting colors!

See TRANSLUCE: Rainbow Meditation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aqIhYI_Q

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 11:16:16 PM »
Actually, Naschy's fan base just seems to keep expanding.  And there's a lot of Naschy fans in here, it looks like.  Many of his 70's films are at least minor classics, and have those "good old basic meat and potatoes horror" story elements.

I used to think of Naschy as one of those actors that showed up in those cozy, cheesy movies that would play late at night on weekends, along with those John Ashley Filipino flicks-----my favorite kind of stuff--but at the time I viewed it as second-shelf material, like an off-brand hot dog.  The years have improved a lot of these films, and I become fonder of them.  Especially now--I am largely unimpressed with most current films with their flashy but empty multimillion-dollar productions.  I love this simpler stuff much more.
You are correct, sir. There are a large number of Naschy fans. I didn't mean to come off as sounding defensive even if one outraged member did refer to Naschy as a "3rd rate idiot".  :laugh: I just meant that I make no apologies for loving Senor Naschy's work and I plan to discuss his wonderfully creative films for quite some time. I sincerely hope that anyone and everyone with an appreciation for anything related to Paul Naschy will join in so that we can all have fun and celebrate this subgenre together.

I'm with you, I'm sick of the soulless big budget CGI action-fests. If I want to play a video game I'll throw Skyrim on the PS3 and have at it. When I want to watch a fun movie I'll enter one of the cool fantasy worlds of Horror..maybe Eurohorror...maybe Spanish Horror...and maybe the Naschyverse. I've been listening to a podcast called NaschyCast recently, and I've been tracking down some of the elusive films mentioned on there and really enjoying the creative heart and soul put into these productions. Those films may be cheaply made, but I get a wealth of enjoyment out of watching them. I, too, "love this simpler stuff much more".
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 11:47:22 PM »
 Anyone who would refer to Mr. Naschy as a "3rd rate idiot" must have serious mental problems & should seek counseling of some sort. That type of description is better suited to David Hasselhoff or Mark Hammill . I hope their ilk no longer contaminates  the UMA water source.