Author Topic: New DST Mummy's, Wolf Man, and Lucy Figures  (Read 46322 times)

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
  • Good Evening, Dr. Vesalius
Re: New DST Mummy's, Wolf Man, and Lucy Figures
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »
I wonder if there will be TRU versions available for these also? I will buy them of course. Except Lucy. They can keep her. :angel:

Here are my thoughts:

Both sculpts look great. I just opened them up and magnified the faces. They look like the actors. They got the Wolfman right. FINALLY.

If they leave the lunchbox Wolfman graphics alone, and release this figure without any meddling....this will be the year of the Wolfman come October.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:17:03 PM by Anton Phibes »
"Nine Killed you---Nine shall Die!"

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 01:28:23 PM »
 I'll buy both of both of the licensed figures, but I do feel that the Wolfman's face is a bit off. I really wish they would stop redoing characters (this is the third Karloff Mummy they've done).

the_horror_man

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »
I will definitely be getting the Karloff Mummy. It is really well done.

thm

EDITOR MFTV

• Corporal
    • Monsters from the Vault
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »
I'm at work and don't have access, but maybe someone can post the photos here?
Jim Clatterbaugh
Editor/Publisher MFTV
www.monstersfromthevault.com

Count Zachula

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 01:59:38 PM »

I'll snag the Mummy and Wolfman for sure! They look boss!

EDITOR MFTV

• Corporal
    • Monsters from the Vault
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 02:21:08 PM »
I'll buy both of both of the licensed figures, but I do feel that the Wolfman's face is a bit off. I really wish they would stop redoing characters (this is the third Karloff Mummy they've done).
I think both are spot on and I love the bases. I'm down for both. I miss the Mego style figures. I was hoping to see a Chaney Kharis figure before they stopped.
Jim Clatterbaugh
Editor/Publisher MFTV
www.monstersfromthevault.com

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »
Honestly---and I am trying not to get too excited in case something dreadful occurs---I think this Wolfman will be to Wolfman fans what the DST Creature was for Creature fans last year. A big success. I think the portrait sculpt is great. Is it a Mike Hill Sideshow pff? No---of course not. But is it an awesome figure?: yes. Lons midrift even appears a bit more portly than the other characters in the series.

I am happy with the reveals. I will promptly put my static, non articulated DST Mummy 1 offering in a box with their first Creature, and display the new one instead. Perhaps I will leave the Wolfman out though. Because....you know....Wolfman is awesome. 8)

the_horror_man

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 02:54:02 PM »
They are all great. It could be the angle, but the Wolfman does look a bit off. However, for the size of the figure, the price (assuming they are in the same price range as the previous figures) it is really nice. I think the sideshow 8 inch Wolfman is probably the best Wolfman figure in it's scale. This new DST one might also make a good Eddie Munster's Woof Woof. ;D

thm

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 03:34:12 PM »
I think Sideshow's 8 inch Wolfman is off myself. It could just be the paint...I dont know. But its off.

I think the only time Sideshow nailed the Wolfman was Mike Hill's pff. 

I will have to sit them side by side...but I dare say I will prefer the DST Wolfman 2.0 to my Sideshow figure.

Sideshow brought us some great stuff. But they will eventually be surpassed. In the realm of the some characters...they already have been. But I am not going to risk turning this thread into a sideshow vs. everyone else thread. I am happy with what I got to see today overall. Thats really saying something as much as universal meddles with their style guides and etc.

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 05:02:42 PM »
 I think what makes this Wolfman look good is the fantastic paint job. Sideshow's had a better sculpt, but it was in the first series before the paint apps improved. It could very well be the angle that makes him look a little constipated. I'm down for some more pix. Like I said, I'm buying both (the Mummy's base is unbelievable...though better suited to Ardeth Bey).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:31:17 PM by Mord »

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 09:34:54 PM »
Dracula's base with the wolf would be a great swap out for Wolfman's base. Plus Wolfmna's base looks more suited for Dracula. So---that being said....hmmmmmnnnnn..... 8) 8)

mjaycox

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 10:28:28 PM »
Anyone unhappy with this Wolfman likeness can swap it out with the great Randy Bowen sculpt used in the Playing Mantis kit years ago ... It is the same scale.

This is what I plan to do, anyway
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 10:39:41 PM »
Anyone unhappy with this Wolfman likeness can swap it out with the great Randy Bowen sculpt used in the Playing Mantis kit years ago ... It is the same scale.

This is what I plan to do, anyway

If you can make that tiny Bowen kit look better than the figure itself as presented....you're a creative genius. Because the plastic kit is extremely light on details, being a downsized re-pop of the 1/4 scale cold cast kit that is really amazing....but takes up a LOT of space. Ive painted both. The little one is atrocious.

I guess I am one of the few that like these reveals. Glad EditorMFTV shared them. 8)

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 11:05:32 PM »
 Of the three, The Mummy is the clear winner...good Karloff likeness, less obvious articulation and spectacular base. I'm with the majority on the Wolfman face being off. I also find the extreme articulation aesthetically unappealing. The joints aren't very well hidden. The ankle ball-joints look like a cancerous growth. I bet he's in that awkwardly stiff pose because the knee joints are too apparent when crouching. The base is completely wrong. This could be a prototype. Remember how many times they changed the Creature's base in wave 5. Does anyone have pix of the Bowen replacement head?