Author Topic: Your Top 3 to the Grave  (Read 5810 times)

the_horror_man

• Sergeant
Re: Your Top 3 to the Grave
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2017, 10:58:35 PM »
God forbid, that the next life would be such that I should long for the cheap tchotchkes of this life!

This thread was only for entertainment purposes. Just having fun. I see no reason to bump the thread to just cut a negative slice of pie out of it. ;D There is a saying. "Blowing out another's candle will not make yours shine brighter".

Imo, monster item collecting while having fun is what site is all about. Once again, maybe I didn't get the memo on that. I am a serious collector and it is one of my greatest joys in life. Has been for decades. If others are getting out of it or turning away from it, I am sure they have their reasons. I hope that people that love to collect still have the means to do so. I also hope that those who are moving away from collecting, is due to changing passions and are not forced to to do it.

thm

Wich2

• Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2017, 07:43:10 AM »
>Imo, monster item collecting while having fun is what site is all about.<

With all respect "thm," that is not what this site is all about; it is part of what this site is about. Or at least, used to be about.

It was about the gimcracks and geegaws, yes - but it was even more about the films of wonder that caused those things to be made.

And about the great books and plays that those films were based on.

And about the deep imaginations of the gifted men and women who created those films and those books.

And about how all the above touched our minds and souls.

>Once again, maybe I didn't get the memo on that.<

Because one such little note could never hope to encompass that. It is a matter of the whole, expansive warp and woof of what The World of Wonder is.

-Craig

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2017, 09:17:19 AM »
There are still sub-forums on UMA for movies, books and all those other things. This particular sub-forum though is for specifically monster toys, which for whatever reason you've labelled "gimcracks and geegaws".

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2017, 10:18:42 AM »
What in the world are "gimcracks and geegaws"? Seriously, I've never heard that expression. I guess I should get out more.

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »
What in the world are "gimcracks and geegaws"?

Showy objects of little use or value.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
  • Good Evening, Dr. Vesalius
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2017, 11:14:03 AM »
What in the world are "gimcracks and geegaws"? Seriously, I've never heard that expression. I guess I should get out more.

Use of antiquated words make people think....or get a dictionary..... or Google..... or....something,lol.  Tor say "time for go to bed!" :angel:
"Nine Killed you---Nine shall Die!"

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2017, 12:14:59 PM »
Showy objects of little use or value.
Thank you, Mike, you are the UMA's thesaurus  (among other things).

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2017, 12:18:01 PM »
Use of antiquated words make people think....or get a dictionary..... or Google..... or....something,lol.  Tor say "time for go to bed!" :angel:

...or go to Mike Scott (my sole source of knowledge).

Remco Wolfman

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2017, 04:05:12 PM »
I see no reason to bump the thread to just cut a negative slice of pie out of it.

“Truly there is no such thing as finality.”  ―Dr. Seward's Diary, 26 September

While I'm at it:
(1) Remco Mini Monster Creature from the Black Lagoon (non-glow)
(2) Crestwood House Monster Series Frankenstein Book
(3) Wolfman Monster Ball (http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=27264.msg444975#msg444975)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:19:03 PM by Remco Wolfman »

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »
Thank you, Mike, you are the UMA's thesaurus.

I did basically know what a geegaw was, but I used Mr. Webster's definition, anyway.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2017, 06:11:17 PM »
I knew what geegwaw what nots and play pretties were from my granny. That's what she called everything that was simply an aesthetic bauble despite its genre.

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2017, 06:57:44 PM »
I knew what geegwaw what nots and play pretties were from my granny. That's what she called everything that was simply an aesthetic bauble despite its genre.
I had a completely different definition of "play pretties".

the_horror_man

• Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2017, 07:27:36 PM »
>Imo, monster item collecting while having fun is what site is all about.<

With all respect "thm," that is not what this site is all about; it is part of what this site is about. Or at least, used to be about.

It was about the gimcracks and geegaws, yes - but it was even more about the films of wonder that caused those things to be made.

And about the great books and plays that those films were based on.

And about the deep imaginations of the gifted men and women who created those films and those books.

And about how all the above touched our minds and souls.

>Once again, maybe I didn't get the memo on that.<

Because one such little note could never hope to encompass that. It is a matter of the whole, expansive warp and woof of what The World of Wonder is.

-Craig

I agree with this. I did not mean to imply that this site is only about the items. I actually meant collecting monster stuff is all about having fun. I love a great discussion about monster/horror movies, but I am a tangible guy. I like to have items that represent the characters I love and admire. So my love for monsters is not only watching the films, but owning figures from these films. I consider them works of art. ;D

thm

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2017, 07:59:20 PM »
I had a completely different definition of "play pretties".

I did as well.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2019, 01:59:06 PM »
This was hard and my choices will probably change over time...but apologies if my picks aren't very monster related.

Light up Hedorah X plus 30cm.

Kidrobot Gorillaz figures, I count these as one.

My Musical Jolly Chimp, came with the box, the tag and SURPRISE, he's in perfect working condition. Mickey hat and cigarette added by me.

:o

Your selections all look pretty scary to me!

;)

Collecting! It's what I do!