Dwight Renfield - The Night Flier Megostyle Custom

Started by Spock, March 12, 2015, 11:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spock

Quote from: Anton Phibes on March 14, 2015, 05:40:43 PM
What??? :o :o no Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas? ??? Thats the figure that set me to buying the entire wave,lol. Because I dont have any Yeti stuff in my collection yet. What better way to rectify that than with Hammer??

All coming in wave 2 guys as you well know lol. I think Wave 4 have HAMMER may be all two packs, but not sure yet. That way I can release a major character with a lesser know one. Just thinking :)

raycastile

Quote from: Spock on March 14, 2015, 05:50:54 PM
All coming in wave 2 guys as you well know lol. I think Wave 4 have HAMMER may be all two packs, but not sure yet. That way I can release a major character with a lesser know one. Just thinking :)

Already thinking about Wave 4? We are only one figure into Wave 2!
Raymond Castile

mjaycox

Quote from: raycastile on March 14, 2015, 09:24:44 PM

I feel like there's been more.. Am I missing something ?

Wave 1)

Dracula
Curse of Frank
Mummy
Curse of Werewolf

Unofficial: (wave 2)
Dr Frankenstein
Dr Van Helsing

Wave 2 (wave 3?)
Brides of Frankenstein
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

Mord

You mean Brides of Dracula (Frankenstein was monogamous).

raycastile

I don't think the Peter Cushing figures constitute an official wave. There were only two, and the card art was different. I think of them as a spinoff of Wave 1.
Raymond Castile

Anton Phibes

Martin is always planning ahead. That's a good sign. It means he's gonna be around helping us monster lovers out for awhile. He could stay busy for the remainder of his natural days simply fulfiling the wish lists in the various threads scattered about the forum. Not to mention figures HE actually wants that we havent thought of yet. Who would've ever even thought about making a John Rider Hitcher figure? Thats about as obscure as you can get. Now bring on the Wasp Woman,lol. :angel:

Spock

Quote from: raycastile on March 14, 2015, 09:24:44 PM

Wave 3, I would like to make female

Mord

Quote from: Spock on March 14, 2015, 05:50:54 PM
I hope that doesn't mean pairing a previously released character with a supporting one. There are so many other ones that have yet to be made. I would love to see two vampire girls packaged together. Who knows what they'll get up to in such tight confines.

Anton Phibes

Well, there probably wouldnt be a whole lot of people who would be willing to buy a Dr. John Watson by himself. But if paired with Sherlock Holmes,with a single Hammer Hounds of Baskervilles display card: both figures could get made. Also, collectors would more or less be supporting the lesser character. Like Watson. I would probably buy that particular two pack.

I also think some might be tempted to buy Marion Crane if she came with Norman as mother. But doubt she would sell well enough to warrant an independent release.

So, if handled correctly, it could be a neat little bit of marketing. Plus, if we don't particularly like it for monetary, space, uniformity, or any other reason---Martin seems to listen fairly closely to his customer base. But you never know how something will go til you try it. I am cautiously optimistic. Besides...Twins of Evil clamors for at least one two pack: they're twins after all,lol. ;) ;D

Spock

Quote from: Mord on March 15, 2015, 01:36:52 AM
I hope that doesn't mean pairing a previously released character with a supporting one. There are so many other ones that have yet to be made. I would love to see two vampire girls packaged together. Who knows what they'll get up to in such tight confines.

Now while a lot will be totally new, I still feel certain characters need to be represented in two pack form. These are just ideas but maybe Lee and Cushing from Satanic Rites of Dracula, Lee and Munro from AD1972, Cushing and Ka from Golden Vampires, Cushing and Denberg from Created Woman to name but a few. I have just taken on a wonderfully talented freelance painter to help me out so his take on a lot of the characters would make them different enough, plus all would be new sculpts.
Other ideas I have in mind are Donlevy and Wordsworth from Quatermass Experiment, Bates and Beswick from Dr. Jeckyl and Sister Hyde. Two versions of Shelley from DPOD, Cushing and Damien Jones from Twins of Evil, but would have to do the Twins as well I guess. These are just a few, but nothing concrete until I sit down and think it out. I am really excited on the two packs. I may even release the main characters in the set seperate for those who just want to collect the main figure

Mord

All great ideas, Martin. I just hope there are enough people willing to fork out $160 a pop for these. I know us Hammer purists would, but 60 pieces might be a tough sell. Good luck either way. I'm just glad they're all new sculpts. I'm also excited about your new freelance paint guy. This can open new doors for DD (and untie your hands a bit...you need a break from the paint fumes, my friend).

mjaycox

Quote from: Spock on March 15, 2015, 01:34:11 AM
Wave 3, I would like to make female

Martin-- it's your company, so do what you want. Far be it from me to tell you your business. But after doing this for close to 17 years, I can tell you it's near impossible to make female custom figures look good in this scale.

Superheroes, sure. Their costumes are so hyperstylized, one can get away with it. But realistic looking figures of movie characters? Devilishly hard... They can look great in 12" scale. But I have yet to see a truly good 8"female custom of a monster character.

Just my two cents. Now go and prove me wrong.

Matt
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

Spock

Quote from: Mord on March 15, 2015, 03:53:34 AM
All great ideas, Martin. I just hope there are enough people willing to fork out $160 a pop for these. I know us Hammer purists would, but 60 pieces might be a tough sell. Good luck either way. I'm just glad they're all new sculpts. I'm also excited about your new freelance paint guy. This can open new doors for DD (and untie your hands a bit...you need a break from the paint fumes, my friend).

Mord, I will probably sell the double packs $5 or $10 cheaper as only one card is needed, although the clams are dearer. If I released the figures sperate, most would sell I think, so maybe I will actually be saving folks money. Only one way to find out I guess :)
Matt, lets see what I can do. It may work. Not sure if I can root real hair on them which would help I think but we will see. :) Lets hope it does work as would open up a new world for me.

raycastile

I'm skeptical about 8" female figures. Why not include one female in a set to see how it goes. Then if she turns out well, go forward with an all-female set. I could see the Reptile or Gorgon working. But I'm afraid a more human character would look like a dime store fashion doll. The rooted hair is a big problem. Glued-on hair will look funky. I don't know how you will achieve rooted hair on a resin head, especially without making the head very fragile. Time to buy a rotocasting machine!
Raymond Castile

Anton Phibes

OK, Reptile was a female character with long hair. Sculpted hair saved the day. Golden Vampire was a long haired male. Sculpted hair saved the day. Who is really rooting for rooted hair anyway? :angel: ;)

Female characters can be done without rooted hair.  :o Just sculpt it. A creative sculptor can make it work on a mego body. Because they've been sculpting female characters for years in the garage kit hobby. None of its real, and it all looks fine.

DC direct did an absolutely stunning Wonder Woman pf. Pleather chest garment, polyester/silk cape, cotton covered bikini bottom....and sculpted hair.  ;D ;D ;D

I think Tonner, Monster High, Baby Dolls, and Barbies are the only rooted hair figures I can think of off the top of my head.  As awesome as Megos were: their Thor with rooted hair was atrocious. As was beauty parlor Conan the Barbarian. So---forget rooted hair. Does the 1/6 Reptile or Golden Vampire look bad to anyone? Not to me.  :angel: Heck, Hot Toys's Ripley has sculpted hair....and it looks fine. Sideshow's recent Wonderwoman has resin hair except for a few rubberized strands that are flexible, which are glued into the sculpted hair. ;)