EMCE UNIVERSAL MONSTERS LUNCHBOX VERY, VERY CLEVER :USING CARLOS DRACULA

Started by Anton Phibes, February 16, 2015, 03:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: mjaycox on January 31, 2016, 11:11:00 PM
I don't think it's a question of Universal protecting their property with this Lunchbox, as the Spanish version was a Universal feature too, after all.

I think it has more to do with Bela Jr, than anything else.

Bela does have a very very faint widow's peak in Dracula, depending on which toupee he was wearing. It is more pronounced in some stills than others

Matt
I guess he at least has a widow's peak in Abbott and Costello but Universal wouldn't allow Hotel Transylvania to use a cape that was red on the inside. Dracula had grey on the inside and A&C used yellow on the inside. Dracula never wore this fictional red on the inside cape.

What I think they're really keeping them from using are the cartoon versions of the monsters they made for when they don't have the rights for the actors. Think green shirt Frankenstein.

BRICK

PHASE I: SUCCESS!!!

When EMCE canceled the UM lunchbox, I'm sure most of us here felt a mixture of anger/frustration/depression. Yet another cool collectible with outstanding artwork axed by Universal and their marketing department geniuses, before it ever saw the light of day. But I didn't give up! EMCE was good enough to post the raw artwork on Facebook; and I knew that, armed with that, I could make a pretty good facsimile of their finished product. So I purchased a blank lunchbox and thermos from Lunchbox.com. Obviously, I started with the thermos, because it was the easiest. I resized the artwork, added cleaner logos, printed it out and laminated it on one side for the glossy effect and durability. Then I glued it onto the thermos. No doubt the lunchbox will be considerably more challenging , but I have no doubt that with a little time and effort I can get it to work.

When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Dr Wolfenstein

Anton Phibes

It still kills me this didn't happen. Would've looked great next to my 1979 Aladdin set.  :'( :'(

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

BRICK

PHASE II: SUCCESS! (KINDA...SORTA...)

From the start, I knew that I could re-create the EMCE Universal Monsters lunchbox; it was only a question of how good the artwork would reproduce and how polished the overall fit would be. In the end it came out very good; however, there are still a few rough edges (literally) that bother me. While I really like finish and durability of the one sided lamination, it was a BEAR to work with, especially on the corners; worse yet was the fact that I had to piece-meal it all together because of the size of the lamination sheets. In hindsight, I would have just attached the artwork on plain paper and then added about 10 layers of clear-coat spray paint to give it a glossy finish. That would have been MUCH easier! Even so, I am happy with the final product. Because the aspect ratio of this lunchbox is more rectangular than the original, I had to adjust the artwork, somewhat. That being the case, I also modified a couple of the monsters. I widened the eyes of the Wolf Man and made them less blue (giving him a more animal look), as well as darkening his nose and complexion, plus getting rid of the "corners" on his head. For the Bride, I gave her a more greenish complexion and made her hair reddish (the way I envision her in my mind's eye). I also did a major overhaul of the Phantom's coloring. I imagine him as never having seen a day of sunshine in his life; he is a pale, ghostly blue with gelatin-like skin, literally a living ghost! But basically these were minor tweaks to some really amazing artwork!

When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Mike Scott

That's AMAZING, BRICK!!  I don't know how you did that (even though you explained it)?  Well, at least one person got one of those.  :)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

marsattacks666

MrDark1

Super COOL!!  Congrads on your bringing a piece (that Needed) Brought To Life!!

Universal Steve

Universal Steve
www.universalsteve.com

BRICK

Last week I went to the comic shop and saw the EMCE Alien and Predator lunchboxes (proposed at the same time as the Universal Monsters) for only $15!!! That is less than what I paid for the blank one, when you add in shipping!!!

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: BRICK on August 27, 2017, 10:12:31 PM
Last week I went to the comic shop and saw the EMCE Alien and Predator lunchboxes (proposed at the same time as the Universal Monsters) for only $15!!! That is less than what I paid for the blank one, when you add in shipping!!!

Ah!

Fresh salt for an old wound.
ADAM