Renzi Car-- So it WAS released with the decal after all !!!

Started by mjaycox, October 13, 2014, 01:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjaycox

I've seen this decal in ads for the Renzi mobile before, but I thought the common wisdom was that it was not actually adhered to the cars that were sold...

What a find.

My prediction? that is going to be one expensive decal...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-J-Renzi-MONSTER-MOBILE-1964-All-Original-w-RARE-Decal-Vintage-Blowmold-/191369456984?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c8e822d58
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

jimm

Mike Scott

Never thought I'd see one of those! And yes, I did right click!  ;D Thanks so much for the heads up, Matt!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

frankenstein73

I was amazed when I saw this auction, but know I won't come anywhere close to winning it. And immediately right clicked myself! Nice big picture there! What a find!
Mirabile dictu,don't you agree?

freddie poe

I knew it came with the sticker from the many i had as a kid..just living 20 minutes from the Renzi factory where my aunt Lucy worked. ....they obviously were not meant to stay on.....great to see one with the sticker after all these years! very ghoul............!!!

bigbud

Ha! Photoshop and a few minutes = Renzi Monster Car Decal!

bigbud

Not quite sure how the decal would have originally been applied......there is a raised line of plastic in the molding where I thought it would have been applied to the door. It has no chance of laying flat in the door area....and yet the view given of the backside of decal leads me to believe it made good contact with the Monster Mobile when applied....hum........

Mike Scott

I appears that this is more like a sticker, than a model kit type of wet transferred decal. It also looks like somebody cut it down from what was probably a rectangle.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

horrorhunter

According to the photos and seller's description the obvious sticker residue is only on the passenger side of the car. The seller is unclear as to whether or not there were stickers on both sides of the Monster Mobiles. Of course it could have varied greatly on what was then cheap toys. Certainly not cheap now.

It's a little weird that a Brontosaurus is on the lower right side of the sticker. I know dinosaurs were called "monsters" on some '60s toys but you would think there would be something more standard represented with those bats like a skull for example. And, yeah, I know "Brontosaurus" never really existed according to modern paleontology (it's Apatosaurus), but in the Monsterkid '60s the toys were labeled as "Brontosaurus" so that's correct concerning the toys.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

It's also strange that there is no flat smooth area for the sticker,like the Haunted Hulk sail for example. It was either poor planning or the sticker is suspect. And, it does look trimmed, as Mike mentioned. It could still be legit and just be thrown on at the last minute in the Renzi manufacturing process. Cheap toys in the '60s are infamous for slapdash quality control which only adds to their charm for weirdos like us.  ;D
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

bigbud

Seems to only lead to more questions about the Monster Car decal............

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: horrorhunter on October 13, 2014, 11:39:23 PM
...  And, yeah, I know "Brontosaurus" never really existed according to modern paleontology (it's Apatosaurus), but in the Monsterkid '60s the toys were labeled as "Brontosaurus" so that's correct concerning the toys.

I'm too old (and stubborn) to change.  For me there will always be a Brontosaurus and Pluto will always be a planet.

Lucky I was born after that whole Piltdown Man hassle was already settled.

How long before someone is selling replacement "Monster Mobile" stickers on eBay?
ADAM

mjaycox

I'm less jealous of the sticker, than I am of the fact that he has Pink Frankenstein/Gargoyle and Green Wolfman/Mummy

I would like to have that variant... I have owned three separate Renzi cars over the years, and they have always had the exact opposite color scheme

Matt
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

Hepcat

Quote from: freddie poe on October 13, 2014, 02:56:46 PMI knew it came with the sticker from the many i had as a kid..just living 20 minutes from the Renzi factory where my aunt Lucy worked. ....they obviously were not meant to stay on.....great to see one with the sticker after all these years!

Did the Renzi mobiles you remember come with only the one sticker? Where was the sticker, or stickers, attached? On the passenger side door or elsewhere?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

freddie poe

Id say one sticker as far as i can remember but anything was possible back in those days. Two of my aunts worked at Renzi and Come Play Plastics which was a local (Worcester) blow plastic factory. Renzi was italian and a lot of italian people worked there. Renzi Jr. is still around and has some of the old molds but not the monster mobile because i asked him about it. the mold was destroyed. He has the King Kong Bank mold still.  Also. Matt! i have the opposite version of you... i have hot pink Frankie & mint green wolfman. But i also have black wheels!