Hasbro Dracula Paint by Numbers Boxed Set

Started by Llawton, August 21, 2014, 09:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Llawton

Hi - I'm brand new here and I have been wondering for sometime what the value of an unpainted boxed Hasbro Paint by Numbers Dracula might be worth. A friend found one for a few bucks in a junk store in Oregon and gave it to me because I love those old monsters. I have it on a shelf and it makes me happy every time I look at it. A few years ago I started looking for sets of the other monsters and that's when I realized they are pretty rare. I do not intend to part with mine for any price but would love to know the approximate value and if the other monsters are out there. I'm sort of an old broad and definitely a dinosaur. No cell phone, no camera and I've never posted a photo on line. (I'm guessing folks might like to see a picture) My set's condition is comparable to the Wolfman set that I think I found on this site. (very good) Anyway, if anyone knows I'd love to hear. Cheers - Llawton

Wicked Lester

Mike Scott

Welcome to the UMA, Llawton !

Those '60s Hasbro monster collectibles (Paint by Numbers, Mystery Games, 3 Ring Binders?) are some of the highest priced items of the decade! Other people around here are better with the numbers than I am, but I would imagine that a NM  Creature (always the highest) Paint-by would get $1,000, at least.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Llawton

Not exactly sure what a sheet is. There is the unpainted canvas and the unopened paints. The only thing that is missing is the brush. Honestly I don't think anyone ever did anything with it, just one of those gifts someone didn't like (fool) and put away somewhere. The box has almost no wear, just a few storage scuffs around the edges, no rips or cracks or tears. Sorry, this is how daft I am, I'm not even sure I am responding to the correct post, but I will try to get a photo. I should be able to do it on my Mac, right? The set is honestly pretty pristine. No cellophane but no damage.

horrorhunter

Quote from: Llawton on August 22, 2014, 01:19:14 AM
Not exactly sure what a sheet is. There is the unpainted canvas and the unopened paints. The only thing that is missing is the brush. Honestly I don't think anyone ever did anything with it, just one of those gifts someone didn't like (fool) and put away somewhere. The box has almost no wear, just a few storage scuffs around the edges, no rips or cracks or tears. Sorry, this is how daft I am, I'm not even sure I am responding to the correct post, but I will try to get a photo. I should be able to do it on my Mac, right? The set is honestly pretty pristine. No cellophane but no damage.
Welcome, Llawton. To respond to someone you can use the "quote" function to the right of their post, then type your response below it. I've posted a link to The General's instructions and video on how to post photos. I would use Photobucket as the hosting site if I were you. It's kind of a pain to learn, but worth it.  :)
http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=2087.0
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 21, 2014, 11:21:51 PM
Welcome to the UMA, Llawton !

Those '60s Hasbro monster collectibles (Paint by Numbers, Mystery Games, 3 Ring Binders?) are some of the highest priced items of the decade! Other people around here are better with the numbers than I am, but I would imagine that a NM  Creature (always the highest) Paint-by would get $1,000, at least.

You're missing a zero there, Mike. But if you know of one for a grand, I'll take three.

The Dracula, $300 to $400 most likely. It's far more common that the Creature.
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Wicked Lester

Monster Bob

These are from the pencil by number sets, and are the "generic" drawings that were thrown into the various sets (IOW, there are no monsters on them, but swamps, a scarecrow, etc.)

The seller has been trying to sell those for well over a year, and has actually lowered the price.

Hepcat

Quote from: Llawton on August 21, 2014, 09:49:40 PMMy set's condition is comparable to the Wolfman set that I think I found on this site.

There are some pictures of those in the Media section of this board.

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monster Bob on August 23, 2014, 02:48:50 PM

These are from the pencil by number sets, and are the "generic" drawings that were thrown into the various sets (IOW, there are no monsters on them, but swamps, a scarecrow, etc.)

Also in the HORROR HOUSE set.

CREATURE FAN

Mike Scott

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on August 23, 2014, 05:36:18 AM
You're missing a zero there, Mike. But if you know of one for a grand, I'll take three.

Surely not 10K? I know a sealed Creature SPP 3D plaque sold for that, but I didn't know the paint set sold for that kind of dough. I know the 2nd batch (Creature, Mummy, Phantom) were produced in smaller numbers than the Frank, Drac, Wolf sets, but still. Is the Creature game going for that? Good thing (for me) they're doing a repro!
CREATURE FAN

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 23, 2014, 03:17:46 PM
Surely not 10K? I know a sealed Creature SPP 3D plaque sold for that, but I didn't know the paint set sold for that kind of dough. I know the 2nd batch (Creature, Mummy, Phantom) were produced in smaller numbers than the Frank, Drac, Wolf sets, but still. Is the Creature game going for that? Good thing (for me) they're doing a repro!

For a nearly new Creature oil-paint by number set? Ten or more, though not from me, mind you. One bagged Creature SSP plaque went for 13K, another for ten, if I remember correctly. As with anything like that, once the two or three wealthiest collectors have them, the price drops, but I don't know of a complete Creature oil-paint by number set that has sold in the last decade.

The Hasbro Creature game is comparatively much more common than the Creature oil-paint by numbers set. That game hasn't come up for sale recently to my notice, but typically $800 to $1000 max buys one, or has, unless there is something very remarkable about it (sealed game pieces, unseparated cards, un-rubbed boxed). Once the licensed reproduction comes out, it will most likely drop some, if only because no matter how clearly the repro pieces are marked, such things add doubt to most people around original items with multiple replaceable pieces. I remember some one wondering about the game's cards having been duplicated some years back, but not the end result.

Do you know anything else about the licensed reproduction? I don't remember who is making it, nor when and where it will be available. Didn't they advertise or mention plans for two or three editions, on of which would be $200 or so?
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Wolfman

Being reproduced by LFSPaul I believe. Go to the monsters wanted section. The last post was on July 10. Nothing from LFSPaul in awhile, so I have my doubts about this ever getting off the ground. I believe he said it would be available this summer. Time's runnin' out.

JP

Mike Scott

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on August 23, 2014, 04:48:47 PM
The Hasbro Creature game is comparatively much more common than the Creature oil-paint by numbers set. That game hasn't come up for sale recently to my notice, but typically $800 to $1000 max buys one, or has, unless there is something very remarkable about it

That's where I came up with 1K for the Paint-by. I figured it would be about the same as the game.

What Wolfman said about the repro game.
CREATURE FAN

horrorhunter

Yeah, we read a lot of hype and blow about all this stuff that is supposed to come out, then it keeps getting pushed back...and back...and back. Don't count on anything until it's offered for sale. And even then it isn't a sure thing until you're holding it in your hands. Mezco Mummy, anyone? I hope that Creature repro game isn't just more hype and blow.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...