Monster Trading Cards

Started by horrorhunter, August 09, 2014, 09:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: Monolith on December 18, 2018, 05:05:26 AMAnd here's some more scans of my Comic Book Heroes stickers with the monsters on them...

Yes indeed! While not specifically monster related, plenty of monsters were featured in the Marvel Comics card sets. Here are sample scans of the cards and wrappers from my three sets:

1966 Donruss Marvel Super Heroes

1975 Topps Comic Book Heroes Stickers

The checklist card backs were also puzzle pieces:

1976 Topps Marvel Super Heroes Stickers

The checklist card backs were also puzzle pieces:

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

Here's my collection of GPK Creature cards.

The first 4 cards are from a 2013 set. There were also some that had gold, or silver borders. One of my cards is a "Mini".

The next 4 cards are from a 2017 set. There were many border color variations.

The last 4 are from the 2019 Super 7 card set. I also have 2 of the 3 different color wrappers.

The scanner trimmed some of the cards a bit.

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Rex fury

The 1966 Marvel Superhero cards are some of my favorites- both in terms of content and collection. I used to go to the only grocery store in my hometown to purchase them whenever I could scrape up the money. For a kid in the 60's this wasn't always an easy choice between two packs of cards or one comic book!
I enjoyed trying to get all the correct cards to form the puzzle on the back. I really liked the artwork ( Kirby? , Severin?) that was used  for the puzzle. However,  coloring on Thor was slightly off if I remember correctly.
I still have the set stored away, including a wrapper and a box. Thanks for posting the set on this site; I'll have to dig them out and take another look.
RF

Hepcat

Quote from: Rex fury on February 28, 2020, 04:14:32 PMThe 1966 Marvel Superhero cards are some of my favorites- both in terms of content and collection. I used to go to the only grocery store in my hometown to purchase them whenever I could scrape up the money. For a kid in the 60's this wasn't always an easy choice between two packs of cards or one comic book!

You bet that was always a problem! The choice for me was actually five packs of cards for $0.25 plus sales tax or two comics for $0.24 with no sales tax on magazines/reading material.

Quote from: Rex fury on February 28, 2020, 04:14:32 PMI enjoyed trying to get all the correct cards to form the puzzle on the back. I really liked the artwork ( Kirby? , Severin?) that was used  for the puzzle. However,  coloring on Thor was slightly off if I remember correctly.

It looks to me as if Thor, Iron Man, Captain America and the Hulk were rendered by Jack Kirby. Spider-Man may have been by John Romita and Daredevil by Bill Everett.

Quote from: Rex fury on February 28, 2020, 04:14:32 PMI still have the set stored away, including a wrapper and a box. Thanks for posting the set on this site; I'll have to dig them out and take another look.

Here's a good picture of the display box that I lifted off the net:

:)

Rex fury

Thanks for posting the back of the '66 Superhero set. I'd forgotten about the use of yellow on both Cap and DD! I think DD is taken from a Kirby/Romita drawing for the cover of issue 13. Spidey is a little more illusive.  Didn't  Ditto render that original pose for the MMMS poster version? And (I think), Marie Severin may have redrawn it for the later '60's version of  the personality poster line- the one that doesn't have Spidey's "autograph" in the lower corner.
Anyhow, it's fun to reminisce about that set!
RF

Hepcat

Quote from: Rex fury on February 28, 2020, 06:43:43 PMThanks for posting the back of the '66 Superhero set. I'd forgotten about the use of yellow on both Cap and DD! I think DD is taken from a Kirby/Romita drawing for the cover of issue 13. Spidey is a little more illusive.  Didn't  Ditto render that original pose for the MMMS poster version? And (I think), Marie Severin may have redrawn it for the later '60's version of  the personality poster line- the one that doesn't have Spidey's "autograph" in the lower corner.

Got me. It was DC comics that I bought between 1962 and early 1966 and I'm still overwhelmingly a DC guy.

:-\

marsattacks666

I just scored a set of three Night of the Living Dead , 25th Anniversary cards

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Rex fury

Quote from: Hepcat on February 28, 2020, 11:59:36 PM
Got me. It was DC comics that I bought between 1962 and early 1966 and I'm still overwhelmingly a DC guy.

:-\
Not that I'm obsessed or anything ( yeah, right) but I checked up on my artistic memories and confirmed the following on the '66 superhero set:

Thor- Journey Into Mystery 125, Kirby pencils Colletta inks
DD- 13, Kirby pencils Romita inks
Cap and Iron-Man- Tales of Suspense 59, Kirby pencils Ayers inks
Hulk- Tales To Astonish 77, Kirby pencils Romita inks
Spidey- the only non-cover image of the bunch. Originally rendered by Ditko, reworked by Marie Severin. The facial features are more pronounced on the Severin version

Okay, I can return to my coffin in peace now.
RF

Hepcat

Quote from: Rex fury on February 29, 2020, 03:59:11 PMNot that I'm obsessed or anything ( yeah, right)....

Speak for yourself! Me I'm proud of my obsessions.

;)

Sir Masksalot

I've been enjoying all the explosions of color in this thread.

I've never actively collected cards and know virtually nothing of their history but find myself with quite a lively bunch today.
'Sorry about all the flash-bounce >

I bought this set from one of the shops at Universal Studios. I just love the artwork on them >

'More cards >

geezer butler

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on March 21, 2020, 09:14:57 PM
I've been enjoying all the explosions of color in this thread.

I've never actively collected cards and know virtually nothing of their history but find myself with quite a lively bunch today.
'Sorry about all the flash-bounce >

etc.

Very cool!!

Hepcat

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on March 21, 2020, 09:14:57 PMI've never actively collected cards and know virtually nothing of their history but find myself with quite a lively bunch today.

Oh no! So you missed out on all the joy of hurriedly stuffing thin slabs of powdered bubble gum into your mouth while you looked through the cards contained in the wax packs you bought?

:o

Are you a youngster <35?

???

Sir Masksalot

Quote from: Hepcat on March 22, 2020, 03:49:37 PMthe joy of hurriedly stuffing thin slabs of powdered bubble gum into your mouth

Are you kiddin'? I wasn't even allowed to chew gum!

Hepcat

My word! A tragically deprived fellow born to and bred by helicopter parents. Me I just drool when I see pictures like these:

In fact back in 2005 or so I opened a one cent pack of 1960 Topps Funny Valentines A cards which I'd bought for the wrapper:

I then ate the gum. It was crumbly and there was a bit of bitterness to it as well as the sweetness. Overall it wasn't very good.

Fortunately I have some Hubba Bubba bubble gum tape right at hand!

cl:)