Monster Trading Cards

Started by horrorhunter, August 09, 2014, 09:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monolith

Quote from: Mike Scott on December 14, 2018, 03:52:34 AM
He was. I wouldn't mind getting that book!

Yup--It's Norman Saunders artwork on the Frankenstein Stickers. I need that book, too. Here's another Norman Saunders sticker...

Wolfman Frankenstein Valentine Sticker (Topps 1960's) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

Monolith

I have a bunch of the Topps Monster Greeting Cards from 1965. The fronts feature art by Robert Crumb and a set-up to a joke and on the back is a punchline and a photo using masks and props. Here's one...

Monster Greeting Cards No. 14 (Topps 1965) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

Monolith

Mike Scott

I never knew Crumb did a card series.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monolith

Quote from: Mike Scott on December 16, 2018, 01:40:43 PM
I never knew Crumb did a card series.

Yup-- the Topps Monster Greeting cards was one of R. Crumbs first commercial jobs. He went to New York to work for Harvey Kurtzman's Help! magazine, but the job fell through. So, he did the Monster Greeting cards for Topps. Here's another one of my scans...

Monster Greeting Cards No. 10 (Topps 1965) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

Robert Crumb has said that his drawing style that he became known for was not fully developed when he did these cards in 1965. He developed it in late '65 to early '66 after experimenting with LSD. Here's one more...

Monster Greeting Cards No. 24 (Topps 1965) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monolith on December 17, 2018, 05:08:50 AM
Robert Crumb has said that his drawing style that he became known for was not fully developed when he did these cards in 1965.

Yet, there's no doubt that the artist is Crumb.  :)
CREATURE FAN

Hepcat

Myself I'm just not a fan of Robert Crumb's artwork.

:(
Collecting! It's what I do!

The Batman

Those cards are deliciously retro. 'Very cool find.
I remember Universal trading cards with a monster making a funny comment (such as the Creature saying 'Come on in, the water is fine")  and on the back of each card was a piece of a giant picture you would need all cards to complete.  'Cruel marketing to only issue a few of the final cards to complete the photo. This thread takes me back to somewhere around '67.

d e l  i c i o u s       r e t r o    find

Hepcat

Here are a few more Frankenstein Stickers from the collection of Shiverbones:

cl:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

Quote from: The Batman on December 17, 2018, 06:01:25 PM
I remember Universal trading cards with a monster making a funny comment (such as the Creature saying 'Come on in, the water is fine")  and on the back of each card was a piece of a giant picture you would need all cards to complete.

That was the 1980 "Creature Feature" set. More specifically, the puzzle parts were on the backs of the stickers sub-set. All 22 stickers had puzzle pieces on the back, but you only needed 10 to finish the puzzle.

CREATURE FAN

Monolith

Quote from: Hepcat on December 17, 2018, 06:30:30 PM
Here are a few more Frankenstein Stickers from the collection of Shiverbones:

cl:)

I think he might've sold them because six of them are the same examples that I have and I think I remember that the seller I got them from might have been someone here at the UMA.

I also have some of these Topps Comic Book Heroes from 1974/75 --stickers that have the Marvel monsters on some...

Comic Book Heroes stickers 1 (Topps 1974) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Monolith

And here's some more scans of my Comic Book Heroes stickers with the monsters on them...

Comic Book Heroes Stickers 2 (Topps 1974) by donald deveau, on Flickr